R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-02-2004, 11:01 PM   #1
Regional Moderator

Help: When I pull the pull starter, wheels of car move

I know this topic might not exactly pertain to this forum, but I feel I can get the best advice here, so that is why I am posting this thread.

I have a question regarding an irregularity with my car. It is an Ofna Monster Pirate with an XTM 24.7 Pro Engine.

Here is the problem. Whenever I pull the pull starter to start it, the wheels move forward. The clutch won't "freewheel". For a couple of pulls the engine piston will cycle without the wheels moving, but then all 4 wheels move forward simultaneously.

I am not sure what the problem is. I have owned other nitro cars before with both pull starts and starter boxes and I never had this problem.

The original engine that came with the car had a slighter shorter in length SG shaft than the XTM engine that is in there now. Even though the shaft was a little longer, the clutch assembly went together as easily as it went together with the stock engine.

I thought my clutch springs were too soft, so I changed to harder springs. The problem still persists. Maybe you guys can help me with this dilemma.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
racer rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 03:25 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Default hmm

Im no expert but it could be that the screw that holds da clutch bell on da sg shaft is too tight. (if you truck doesnt use a screw to hold da clutch bell but somthing else this regard this post) At least thats what happened with my ntc3. I fixed my my problem by addin more shims. Well best of luck with you problem.
R1ceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:36 AM   #3
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default Re: Help: When I pull the pull starter, wheels of car move

Quote:
Originally posted by racer rich
I know this topic might not exactly pertain to this forum, but I feel I can get the best advice here, so that is why I am posting this thread.

I have a question regarding an irregularity with my car. It is an Ofna Monster Pirate with an XTM 24.7 Pro Engine.

Here is the problem. Whenever I pull the pull starter to start it, the wheels move forward. The clutch won't "freewheel". For a couple of pulls the engine piston will cycle without the wheels moving, but then all 4 wheels move forward simultaneously.

I am not sure what the problem is. I have owned other nitro cars before with both pull starts and starter boxes and I never had this problem.

The original engine that came with the car had a slighter shorter in length SG shaft than the XTM engine that is in there now. Even though the shaft was a little longer, the clutch assembly went together as easily as it went together with the stock engine.

I thought my clutch springs were too soft, so I changed to harder springs. The problem still persists. Maybe you guys can help me with this dilemma.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
it sounds like your clutch is stuck in the engaged position, my advised is take it all apart and inspect the clutch springs and the bearings.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 07:29 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

check your clutch springs. Looks like your clutch shoes touching the clutch bell all the time.
luketob is offline   Reply With Quote