R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Help: When I pull the pull starter, wheels of car move (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/30537-help-when-i-pull-pull-starter-wheels-car-move.html)

racer rich 01-02-2004 10:01 PM

Help: When I pull the pull starter, wheels of car move

I know this topic might not exactly pertain to this forum, but I feel I can get the best advice here, so that is why I am posting this thread.

I have a question regarding an irregularity with my car. It is an Ofna Monster Pirate with an XTM 24.7 Pro Engine.

Here is the problem. Whenever I pull the pull starter to start it, the wheels move forward. The clutch won't "freewheel". For a couple of pulls the engine piston will cycle without the wheels moving, but then all 4 wheels move forward simultaneously.

I am not sure what the problem is. I have owned other nitro cars before with both pull starts and starter boxes and I never had this problem.

The original engine that came with the car had a slighter shorter in length SG shaft than the XTM engine that is in there now. Even though the shaft was a little longer, the clutch assembly went together as easily as it went together with the stock engine.

I thought my clutch springs were too soft, so I changed to harder springs. The problem still persists. Maybe you guys can help me with this dilemma.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

R1ceboy 01-03-2004 02:25 AM

hmm

Im no expert but it could be that the screw that holds da clutch bell on da sg shaft is too tight. (if you truck doesnt use a screw to hold da clutch bell but somthing else this regard this post) At least thats what happened with my ntc3. I fixed my my problem by addin more shims. Well best of luck with you problem.

Marcos.J 01-03-2004 07:36 AM

Re: Help: When I pull the pull starter, wheels of car move

Originally posted by racer rich
I know this topic might not exactly pertain to this forum, but I feel I can get the best advice here, so that is why I am posting this thread.

I have a question regarding an irregularity with my car. It is an Ofna Monster Pirate with an XTM 24.7 Pro Engine.

Here is the problem. Whenever I pull the pull starter to start it, the wheels move forward. The clutch won't "freewheel". For a couple of pulls the engine piston will cycle without the wheels moving, but then all 4 wheels move forward simultaneously.

I am not sure what the problem is. I have owned other nitro cars before with both pull starts and starter boxes and I never had this problem.

The original engine that came with the car had a slighter shorter in length SG shaft than the XTM engine that is in there now. Even though the shaft was a little longer, the clutch assembly went together as easily as it went together with the stock engine.

I thought my clutch springs were too soft, so I changed to harder springs. The problem still persists. Maybe you guys can help me with this dilemma.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

it sounds like your clutch is stuck in the engaged position, my advised is take it all apart and inspect the clutch springs and the bearings.

luketob 01-04-2004 06:29 PM

check your clutch springs. Looks like your clutch shoes touching the clutch bell all the time.