R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 757
Default Serpent 733 vs. Shepherd Velox V10

Now two great cars are at the door! I can't buy them both because it's hard enough to get used to one car and find the right set-ups and little tricks that work only for that special car.

So as I'm not very experienced in 1/10 200mm (I'm driving this class for one year now before I was driving 1/10 sedan electric) could anyone give me some pros and cons for this two cars just from pictures??

Regards, Lojz
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 478
Send a message via MSN to PMSorber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
Now two great cars are at the door! I can't buy them both because it's hard enough to get used to one car and find the right set-ups and little tricks that work only for that special car.

So as I'm not very experienced in 1/10 200mm (I'm driving this class for one year now before I was driving 1/10 sedan electric) could anyone give me some pros and cons for this two cars just from pictures??

Regards, Lojz
I can only list pro's from our side , maybe Josh can add some more points.
  • Very easy maintenance
  • Developed and tested by the world champion
  • Better break system
__________________
@ConSult Trading
Team Shepherd, PiraniRC, Sonic and Awesomatix BENELUX
www.team-shepherd.nl
PMSorber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:28 AM   #3
Tech Regular
 
Nitro-Racer*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 398
Default

my vote would be velox because i see that velox has more inovations in the car than the serpent....
__________________
Xray Nt1-Novarossi 3sct-KoPropo-GRP-Altis 2.3-RB Fuels
Xray 808 09-RB Killer 9-Hitec-KoPropo-RB Fuels
Nitro-Racer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:43 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro-Racer* View Post
my vote would be velox because i see that velox has more inovations in the car than the serpent....
In your opinion what are those most outstanding innovations on the V10 besides the break system?
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:07 AM   #5
Tech Adept
 
batto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 100
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
In your opinion what are those most outstanding innovations on the V10 besides the break system?
If it is still as per the original design the front droop adjuster is separate from the sway bar. An upper rear arm with hinge pin, Should be stronger and have less play and also ease of roll centre adjustment. Appears to be a very open plan at the front of the car as far as the radio tray is concerned which in turn looks as though you have good access to the front diff.
R , Noel
__________________
Shepherd Velox V 10 (Very Very Soon) - Novarossi powered
Futaba 4pk
Matrix tyres
Liquid Speed Fuels
www.tracksiderc.com.au
batto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
Tech Champion
 
GMartinez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 8,161
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
Now two great cars are at the door! I can't buy them both because it's hard enough to get used to one car and find the right set-ups and little tricks that work only for that special car.

So as I'm not very experienced in 1/10 200mm (I'm driving this class for one year now before I was driving 1/10 sedan electric) could anyone give me some pros and cons for this two cars just from pictures??

Regards, Lojz
Both cars look amazing & have very good features. Since you only have a year in nitro don't jump the gun I would wait to see how parts availability & what local drivers are actually driving should give you a better idea & also help in set ups. Were not world champions or drive like them so I don't base my purchase off that
Good Luck
__________________
www.fullthrottlercraceway.com
Home of The U.S. World Nitro Cup 2013,2014,2015,2016
2014 Roar Electric Nationals, IFMAR ISTC Worlds, 2015 Roar Fuel Nationals
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
Josh Cyrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Farmington Hills, Michigan
Posts: 1,409
Default

Well, I typed a reply and RCTech ate it...lol... Let's try again!

Pieter and Batto are right about some of the features of the V10. I really like the brakes in the 1/8 car and I'm sure they will work great in the 1/10. Also, I really like the hinge pin rear upper a-arm. Everything looks super easy to work on and the great features from the 1/8 have carried over and even have been improved in a lot of areas.

As far as support, we've had a lot of interest in the car already (and a lot of pre-orders with no pricing even yet!) but we do plan to support the car heavily as we really need a 1/10 to compliment the 1/8 for racers who run both catagories. We have the new CEFX web site up now where we will have all the race reports, set-up sheets, tech articles and hopefully some other new/cool stuff so racers can find all the info they need and want about the Shepherd cars.

On a side note - To race at a top level, our cars and set-ups have to be extremely good as there are a lot of good drivers out there. Some say you can't use our set-ups but I disagree as race cars have to do certain things around a race track with proper balance and traction to handle and perform well. A lot of the time I hear racers say "it's just me" when really it's not, it's their car and recognizing that and using a good set-up can go a long way to building your feel and confidence around the track. There are minor adjustments that you can make to change the "feel" of the car for ones particular driving style but really a balanced set-up is what all racers need to enjoy racing their cars.

I am sure which ever car you choose it will be a great car and you will enjoy yourself racing it!!
__________________
Destiny, Ko Propo, Hobby Wing, Ulti Racing Tires, Protoform, Xenon Racing, Pivothead, Vizon, TQ Wire & Hella Graphics
Josh Cyrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 757
Default

Here in our country the majority is driving 1/8 scale and only a few 1/10 and almost all the good drivers are into the 1/8 so I can't get any help from the 1/10 since they are worse drivers then I am I wish for more competition in next season when I will drive State championship in Austria there are some really good drivers hope to learn new things there

For the spare parts ... in Slovenia it is easier to get Shepherd parts (1/8) then Serpent (1/8) since all the Serpent drivers complain for the lack of material long waiting waiting times. Shepherd drivers get their parts in 3-4 days and everything is on stock since a colleague is a team driver of them:

http://www.team-shepherd.com/en/inde...d=79&Itemid=45

Regards, Lojz
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
Tech Regular
 
Nitro-Racer*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 398
Default

i am suggesting the velox more because of the things mentioned above and also because the velox seems to be more original
__________________
Xray Nt1-Novarossi 3sct-KoPropo-GRP-Altis 2.3-RB Fuels
Xray 808 09-RB Killer 9-Hitec-KoPropo-RB Fuels
Nitro-Racer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #10
Tech Addict
 
KyoshokiddT.D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: st james city
Posts: 637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro-Racer* View Post
i am suggesting the velox more because of the things mentioned above and also because the velox seems to be more original
How can anybody vote when nobody but the factory drivers have even driven the cars much less even seen the cars in person.
KyoshokiddT.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #11
Tech Master
 
Josh Cyrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Farmington Hills, Michigan
Posts: 1,409
Default

Serpent 733 vs. Shepherd Velox V10 - This is the name of the thread right??...lol... I don't think the Serpent is out yet either but correct me if I am wong...
__________________
Destiny, Ko Propo, Hobby Wing, Ulti Racing Tires, Protoform, Xenon Racing, Pivothead, Vizon, TQ Wire & Hella Graphics
Josh Cyrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #12
Tech Elite
 
fastharry™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Posts: 2,846
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMSorber View Post
I can only list pro's from our side , maybe Josh can add some more points.
  • Very easy maintenance
  • Developed and tested by the world champion
  • Better break system




If he is as inexperienced as he says, have a break system is not a good idea...
__________________
www.fastharry.com---search "fastharry" on facebook
See Fastharry in Super Nitro racing at the HPI CHALLENGE...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzo-cBEnE0c
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:36 AM   #13
Tech Elite
 
Pattojnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 4,594
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

i think the problem lies in the person who asked the question. maybe not knowing that one or either of the cars arent out yet. while the serpent is in production, it is not on the market yet. so it hasnt been race proven yet, the durability hasnt been tested yet, the adaptability for all different tracks also hasnt been proven. so no one, doesnt matter who you are, can make such a comparison. so at the moment, you just have here say. so no such comparison can be made.
looking at drawings, and pre release pics, both cars have different features, where on the day can make them a bit easier to work on, setup , or maintain.
__________________
Serpent - Walter RC
Serpent E Power ..... Serpent 747 Reds M3T
Serpent 966-TE Reds M7T .... S411ERYX Speedpassion 3.5T, T-Shox
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:42 AM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Kodak Hodak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Australia, Australia
Posts: 2,159
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak
Default

i think its just comon sense..... wait till all tests are done, and the results will speak for themselves!
__________________
★ DORMANT RC RACER ★
Kodak Hodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 757
Default

Please no need to argue. I know the cars are not out yet I'm not stupid

But still many things can be foreseen from the pictures, maybe not how the car handles but how easy it is to work on or how easy and quick it is to change a setting and so on.

But I agree that the average drivers will give the real feedback for the majority. Because for example you can have a super fast car that is very nervous to drive and only the best drivers will be successful wit it. On the other hand a car can be very easy to drive and a wider range of drivers can handle it good.

That is my opinion.

But I wont wait for so long and will buy the V10 because of the accessible parts and emotional feeling

Regards, Lojz
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:42 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net