R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default Looking for some advice

Hello all,

Thanks in advance for your answers and experience.

I would like to buy a new RC car.

Here are the things I know
1) Close to 301 raceway so will want to race at some point.
2) Ability to upgrade it because love to disassemble and play with things too.

Here are my preferences:
1) Nitro - used batteries before - never used fuel so would like to try it.

Here are the things I don't know:
1) 1:10 vs 1:8 - I don't have a preference either way but really don't know why someone buys one versus the other.
2) On-Road vs Off-road - I imagine I will use it mostly in parking lots and other big paved areas, but again really don't know why someone buys one versus the other.
3) Recommended on-line vendor. I buy almost everything over the net nowadays and don't see a reason to change with RC cars.
4) B&M store in the Baltimore area for Nitro fuel and other last minute accessories.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Garet Jax; 06-09-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Garet Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It really depends on what you plan to do with it.
If you plan to race on pavement I would start with an associated TC3. Being a shaft-drive car with sealed differentials, you can practice it in a parking lot that isn't completely clean. It is also easy to find parts for, realatively inexpensive, and also a competative car for when you're ready to race. If you go with a belt drive car, you will get frustrated if you run it much on anything other than a prepped surface, little rocks reak havoc with the belts.
If you do have a prepared surface to practice on, I'd go for a Mugen MTX4-R (which is what I run). It's a top-level race car that is easy to get parts for (amainhobbies.com), it is durable, and the stock setup is excellent. On top of that, Mugen is great about supporting their customers through the forum on their web site and through this site.
I also race 8th scale, and I would recommend you try 10th scale first to see if you really like it, 8th scale can be a little more expensive.
Good luck and have fun!
Greg
CanyonCarverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Tech Master

Thanks for your response.

Hmmm.

It seems like on-road cars really need to have a good stone free surface to run on. Although 301 racing is about 1.5 hours away, I doubt I will want to drive there just to be able to run my car.

My best bet may be to get an off-road car, it seems like that will allow me to go to any old parking lot and use it there.

Will an off-road car preclude me from racing at 301 racing?

The traxxas slash seems to be a good candidate. It is electric, but it has a ton of upgrade options and appears to be quite durable. It is also priced very competitively.

It also seems to be noob friendly which is a plus in my case :-)
Old 06-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garet Jax View Post
Thanks for your response.

Hmmm.

It seems like on-road cars really need to have a good stone free surface to run on. Although 301 racing is about 1.5 hours away, I doubt I will want to drive there just to be able to run my car.

My best bet may be to get an off-road car, it seems like that will allow me to go to any old parking lot and use it there.

Will an off-road car preclude me from racing at 301 racing?

The traxxas slash seems to be a good candidate. It is electric, but it has a ton of upgrade options and appears to be quite durable. It is also priced very competitively.

It also seems to be noob friendly which is a plus in my case :-)
I think the Slash is an excellent choice if you want to go electric. The race them off-road and on-road. I would call 301 and see if they have a class for them and/or if they allow them in the novice class.
CanyonCarverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
Tech Master

I called 301 Racing and the number on their website is inactive.

I found these details posted about their classes:

Classes to be run are: 10th Nitro Sedan, 1/8th Scale, 1/5 Scale,
1/7 Scale (IGT, DM1,) each class requires a minimum of 5 entries.

I would imagine that this means there are no races for which the Traxxas Slash would be eligible.

Any idea what RC cars would be OK for 10th Nitro Sedan?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

you Mugen Boy hear, had a Team Magic, but just couldnt find that right setup - thought about a Serpent 720 - but just recently another change in model to the 733 has been released....

few other cars soon to come out, Shephard & Montonica 1/10th - its such a gamble out there....

Best to find what car does well at your club and see what parts are avaliable local.....

Good Luck - and remeber to have FUN
Old 06-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

OK Garet Jax

Here's the deal....

You don't have to have a prep'ed track to run 1/10 sedans, whethers its belt or shaft, but it certainly helps. As stated earlier by one poster can reek havoc on belt driven cars; however, I have two belt drive cars that I've had for over 8 years and have not stripped gears or pulley once. My two cars are GS Vision Pro and a Mugen MTX2.

I've raced in numerous parking courses and also bash on neighborhhod streets. Now, I am particular, when trying to find a spot, that it's at least clean and even, but to say they are pebble-free, would be next to impossible.

These cars would be good canidates for starters and with upgrades will be good for club racing:

Associate NTC3, Kyosho FW-05RR, OFNA CD3 or LD3(very similar to the NTC3), HPI RS3+Evo. All of these cars ('cept the Kyosho) come in a RTR with plenty of hop-up parts available. They are also all Shaft cars

You'll be looking at price range of $250 - $370 depending on where you buy for these cars. Again, these are not top end cars but with some upgrades a nice engine and polished driving skill you be able to be competitive at most club races. should your skills exceed these cars, you won't have spent too much and it will make the transititon to one of the more race level cars alot easier on you and your wallet.

Once you decide to go racing seriously you can pick up one of these cars:

Team Magic, Serpent, Kyosho, Mugen, XRay. Most of those race cars will be belt driving and should mainly be raced on prep'ed tracks only, like 301. They cost about $100 than the previously mentioned cars and require more maintenace to keep them in racing condition. (That should appeal to your tinkering/disassembling craves)

Your next step up would be the 1/8 scale Kyosho GT1 or GT2 and the OFNA DM1. These vehicle are GT cars but based off of buggy chassis. They are large than the 1/10 sedans with a higher ground clearance, so they have great bash-ability. We rip and run ours on the grass and dirt all the time. No need to worry about pebbles here. With a minimal hopups and and a strong engine you can turn it into a nice track racer. Infact most clubs run a stock class for these beast, where hop-ups are not allowed. Initial cost is 450 to 500 buck only thing need is gas and batteries after that.

Finally the big boy class:

The 1/8 on-road cars. Mugen, Shepard, Kyosho and more. These are the big brother of the sedan class. They are all belt driving have just about every adjustment you can imagine a racing car would have. Their lola stlye(think wedge) bodies allow for extremely fast cornering which is far superior than any of the other cars I mentioned already. These cars are not for the timid or beginnig drivers. They should not be ran on anything other than a pre'ped course (although I see some friends do it, but those guys have money to burn) These are also the most expensive of the bunch and require alot of maintenance to keep them competitive, because the nature of race them. Starting price tag for the car alone starts at $500 bucks, then you have to buy motor, wheel/tires, startebox, radio and gas. You could be looking at $1000 bones when just to get to the track.

I know I gave you alot to think about but I wanted to clear up the stuff the other guys neglected to tell you. All the links I gave can show you the cars I spoke of in this post. Good luck and whatever you get remember its about the fun not how much you spent? it won't seem like it at first but after you get in there and mix it up a bit the smiles will come.

Last edited by Kyo83; 06-10-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
Tech Regular

OK...who's messing with my posts I didn't put color on my links, nor did I make them bold! Whats the deal

Now they're gone
Old 06-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
Tech Regular

So what's it gonna be Garet?