Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NTC3 engine question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Default NTC3 engine question

Hello, I have a ntc3 and the current engine is in need of replacement. What would be a good .12 engine for bashing? Also, would it be worth putting a .18tz or would it just destroy the drivetrain? I have the bump starter so a pull start is not necessary. Thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Tech Initiate

I would say, a fast, reasonably priced engine would be novarossi NS12TS1, or JLR Red Dot. Both should be just under 200.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default NTC 3 engine

Originally Posted by kraig822
Hello, I have a ntc3 and the current engine is in need of replacement. What would be a good .12 engine for bashing? Also, would it be worth putting a .18tz or would it just destroy the drivetrain? I have the bump starter so a pull start is not necessary. Thanks
I have had approx. 5 or 6 NTC3, and one of them I did drop in the OS 18
Way too much torque, and the torque steer made it difficult to drive.
There are many many good fast 12 engines that will have more than enough power for the car. Shaft driven cars do suffer from torque steer if they are over powered.
You will strip out the diff gears also if the car is over powered
The engines list in the other reply will be good choices for you, and not break the bank
Old 06-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I also have a NTC3 and am looking at future engine replacement. I've tried a couple different engines and am currently running a SH Pro Turbo .12 (the hand made one, 41,000 rpm version) and it's "OK" but lacks some bottom end punch. For most of the tracks I run on I think I want more bottom and mid-range over a screaming top end.

A friend is running an older TOP Racing .12 which really impresses me but it's hard to find. The only one I've found is ~$250 or so from Brooklyn Hobbies.
http://brooklynhobbies.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1444
Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danketchpel
Thanks for the feedback guys. I also have a NTC3 and am looking at future engine replacement. I've tried a couple different engines and am currently running a SH Pro Turbo .12 (the hand made one, 41,000 rpm version) and it's "OK" but lacks some bottom end punch. For most of the tracks I run on I think I want more bottom and mid-range over a screaming top end.

A friend is running an older TOP Racing .12 which really impresses me but it's hard to find. The only one I've found is ~$250 or so from Brooklyn Hobbies.
http://brooklynhobbies.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1444
If its punch you want, You can always change gearing and clutch adjustments to achieve that. Just be ready for some blown diffs, unless you upgrade them to metal diffs found in the OFNA CD3. they are a perfect match.