R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Send a message via Skype™ to Armedforces0331
Questions?? Age and Racing ???

Have a question at age of 37 for someone that has limited racing time, is it still possible to be able to compete on professional level still and maybe get sponsors for 1/8 to 1/10 scales? Is there racing class for the older guys?? Or is it time to hang up the RC Racing? And leave it for the younger generation?

Thank You
Semper Fi
Armedforces0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

sure!

just take it slow and practice practice practice.

when I got into 1/10th sedans at about the age of 18 I was nervous and my arms wouldnt stop trembling (mostly from the fear of toatling an expensive ride). I ran on the track many times got settled in did some laps with other people on the track, also got my first crash out of the way. Now I can hold the proper lines and run around the track alot faster without 1 bit of nerves.

so yea I think you're fine 37 isnt old at all, just buy something you will like learn that kit and practice tons.
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Send a message via Skype™ to Armedforces0331

rcrevolution,
Thank you for the imput and what would you suggest for a car I really like 1/8 scale cars as well as 1/10,and do I have to start with 1/10 or 1/8 ? I have done some 10 scale electric parking lot racing but that was it tho.
Armedforces0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

hmm

I perfer 1/10th but thats me.

1/18th is slightly more expensive to start with, but the kits are faster and handle MUCh better than sedan.

1/10th kits are cheaper engines are cheaper you can get a nice JLR Red-dot for under $200. tires are like $8 a pair for twister tires, I also like that 1/10th scale uses real car bodies not lemans lola types like 1/8th does.

as far as whats better for learning, its tough, 1/10th is easy to get used to, 1/18th is faster makes you act and react faster, but they also handle much better.

Anything From Mugen. Serpent, Xray, Kyosho, Team Magic will be great for sedans, if you compare today's sedan designs you will notice some look very identical to others. Serpent and Team Magic both have brand new spaking designs in the 721 and 733 for serpent and the G4 II for TM, they are new designs and the kits arent even out yet.

Xray and Kyosho makes great kits as well but they are on the more expensive side. right now the best kit for the money is the Mugen MTX4R, you can find one for under $400 and it handles awesome, not to mention has Mugen's quality. I am personally a Team Magic guy, and never had an issue with them, they are great kits as well, I have a Team Magic G4RS brand new I am selling for $270, still retails for $359 its TMs one year old model, but its still a great kit. Right now I am getting out of on-road so I need to make room for other things.

if you want to go the money saving route to start off, mugen isnt a bad choice at all.
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I can think of a number of professional racers over 37 that are still winning nationals and place well at recent worlds in all classes.

The justification in the real racing world is usually experience over reaction, Michael Schumacher retired at about 34-35 from Formula One after 7? world championships and that is an extreme top end in that sport but NASCAR drivers can go into their 40's and 50's easily.

The guys winning just have massive track time, young or old. Look at Joel Johnson or Mark Pavidis, they can show up randomly and still make the A at any race.

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Brian Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Age and racing

Hell, I am 60 years old, and have only been into on-road for about 6 years now.
I run 4 1/8th scale, 3 10th scale, one 220, and one DM1.
I run every weekend, and although I may not be able to hang with the pro class,<Mike Swuager, Chris Tosolini,> and such, but I still have a ball, and enjoy it very much.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358 View Post
Hell, I am 60 years old, and have only been into on-road for about 6 years now.
I run 4 1/8th scale, 3 10th scale, one 220, and one DM1.
I run every weekend, and although I may not be able to hang with the pro class,<Mike Swuager, Chris Tosolini,> and such, but I still have a ball, and enjoy it very much.
+1, With a few less years, but in and out of the hobby for 25 years.

Just look for results for Eli Ezrow, and you'll see it's all possible!!
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I only started with 1/10 nitro in august 08 but did race 1/5 scale prior to that, How ever I came back from a 5 year lay off and decided to give the nitro a go and I must say that I like it more than I thought I would. I am now one of the fast drivers at my club and I do get looked after by the lhs with regards to tyres , fuel and soon to be Shepherd v10. Prior to him helping me out I would spend time with the new drivers and even drivers who had been there for awhile helping them set their cars up, In turn they would mention this to the shop owner. He then approached me and offered me things at a great price and even for free. At this stage I wasnt winning at all but he did not care and said he would like me to represent his shop as people gave him good feed back about the guy at the track as I am always there practicing. The help that I gave the other racers was the same help that was given to me when I first started, So it just seemed natural to keep it going, Besides you dont know that your doing something wrong until some one takes the time to show you a way that maybe better. So nearly one year on in nitro I am knocking on the door of state and national finals but just need more practice to make that step. And by the way I am 43 yo, So no 37 yo is fine just practice as much as you can it is the only way to improve and maybe get noticed along the way. Its not always about winning.
R , Noel
Liquid Speed Fuels
www.tracksiderc.com.au
batto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
Tech Elite

RC is open to all ages. If you can keep up with the others at age 80 or older, than that makes you eligible.