R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Questions?? Nitro Vintage Trans Am

NOT MY IDEA BUT WOULD LIKE TO HELP ive heard of some tracks doing this w/ RCGT & electric VTA ...i just read about the NJ race looks like its was a very good idea...

anybody else tried to run this class? why u like our dislike? would you do it if it was in your area?

please at least give it a free bump..LOL
RCP Customs-RC Juice

Last edited by rkhess; 06-05-2009 at 01:44 AM.
rkhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Thanks rkhess

We're having a BLAST with our Nitro Vintage Trans Am class here in New Jersey!

Here is a video of a race we had at a local Nifty Fiftys restaurant in the spring....

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

We have about 15-20 cars total, and the list gets bigger every race!

Much like the USVTA (electric) we decided on using any nitro car/engine, but must use HPI Vintage tires (treaded) and wheels with a Vintage body.

The vintage tires are the "great equalizer" so it keeps big HP in check.

USVTA Body rules apply (period paint schemes, car numbers, etc.) except that we decided to use CLEAR touring wings to help keep the vintage look intact.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

that sounds like a ton of fun
i cant see those tires lasting a long time, and you'll have to have a car set up to use rubber tires.
cobrajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajet View Post
that sounds like a ton of fun
i cant see those tires lasting a long time, and you'll have to have a car set up to use rubber tires.
I guess I should mention that we race on an "average sized" parking lot track. so our tires last surprisingly long, since the speeds are down.

I'm on my second season on my original tires (about 7-8 races) and still have tread left....

On a large track, I can see going through rubber on a regular basis.....LOL
Old 06-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Tech Elite

no way RAY thank u man for helping our hobby dude, some tracks should try it they prob would be suprised with the turnout..i wish they would at least be open about it in my area...but it aint gonna happen just talking about electric/nitro onroad on the same track in my area would make some people very unhappy

hey cobrajet thanks for posting, i have not raced nitro VTA,but i did do some testing with vta tires on my nitro car, 15 tanks on asphalt they still look good how would foams look after 15 tanks ive never ran them but wouldnt they be worn out? or at least needed to be trued/or car adjusted?

my friends who race VTA(electric) outdoors say the tires last very long and get better as they wear ...dont know if it would hold true with the heavier nitro cars.. when i did my testing with them i also noticed they never got to hot and lost traction durring a run
RCP Customs-RC Juice
Old 06-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

rkhess,

I am glad that you brought this subject up. I have been thinking the same thing over the past couple of weeks and have been studying the rules for the electric VTA series. With vast number of nitro cars, trying to match FDRs would be a bit of a chore. However, I have been thinking about leveling the playing field by having a spec engine and pipe with the tires and bodies from the electric series being the carryover. This way, you could use any nitro chassis (new or old-school) with the equalizing factor being the engine and pipe. The engine I was thinking about is the OS .12tg and either the Dynamite pipe/header combo or the OFNA X-12 pipe/header combo. This way, your LHS is not left out of the picture since many carry the OS engine and one if not both of the pipe/header combos. If not, it is easily obtainable by your LHS through their distributors. What do you guys think?

Last edited by JLock; 06-04-2009 at 03:20 PM.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
Tech Adept

i think thats a good idea. i've run a os .12tg, and you'll still have to take it alot easyer with the vta tires which whould make for more compitive (hate to say slower)racing all around. still have to use a septate car set up to use them, pro level car dont handle with rubber tire with out setting them up alot looser.
as for foams they dont expand and they have far less give and you can ware them down almost all the way to the rim. some ppl cut them down for big events. and looking at the Vta rules you have to have at lest 1mm of tread before you race. a few of our older guys were running hpi vta bodys in the nitro expert last weekend, didnt seem to hurt too much.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Ray....you had to be cheating....the way you laid the smackdown on those guys just kiddin excellent drive bro, unless you were that yellow car that was flying all over the place
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
Tech Elite

I think some kind of motor rule would help... but remember its hard to put the power down with these tires...I tested a hyper .12 pro $139 and felt like anything more would be a waste

Rays rule's sound relaxed very efective and fun

My idea would be a motor list (borrowed rule from dirt oval) it works.... 3ports that cost less then $200 would go on an aproved list racers could choose off of the list .......if its a rtr chassis like hpi/ofna/AE OEM motor would be alowed only if its the motor that comes with the car excluding the shumacer fusion

A Rear clear trunk lid spoiler 1inch from top of trunk of the body to edge of spoiler any angle racer wants/but not mandatory ....Ray's rule

The more expensive race chassis would be an advantage...but a tc3 still does damn well in E vta

yes speeds would be down ...but that’s spec style racing ...show some new racer a video of 1/10 nitro sedan & tell him average cost to start racing in that class...then show him the video posted by Ray tell him average price to start racing in that class ...witch class u thinks going to bring in new racers? I don’t know just asking

And remember im simply trying to help nitro on road it's near and dear to my hobby heart ...and I don’t like what happened to it at the club level
RCP Customs-RC Juice
Old 06-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Man i would be intrested in this class! Rick when u get back we need to get this started!
Brandon Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhess View Post
I think some kind of motor rule would help... but remember its hard to put the power down with these tires...I tested a hyper .12 pro $139 and felt like anything more would be a waste

Rays rule's sound relaxed very efective and fun

My idea would be a motor list (borrowed rule from dirt oval) it works.... 3ports that cost less then $200 would go on an aproved list racers could choose off of the list .......if its a rtr chassis like hpi/ofna/AE OEM motor would be alowed only if its the motor that comes with the car excluding the shumacer fusion

A Rear clear trunk lid spoiler 1inch from top of trunk of the body to edge of spoiler any angle racer wants/but not mandatory ....Ray's rule

The more expensive race chassis would be an advantage...but a tc3 still does damn well in E vta

yes speeds would be down ...but that’s spec style racing ...show some new racer a video of 1/10 nitro sedan & tell him average cost to start racing in that class...then show him the video posted by Ray tell him average price to start racing in that class ...witch class u thinks going to bring in new racers? I don’t know just asking

And remember im simply trying to help nitro on road it's near and dear to my hobby heart ...and I don’t like what happened to it at the club level
it whould be great to see this at a higher level and with set rules. we need more nitro classes and a spec class whould be nice, and this whould be great for all those hpi rs4s out there!! this whould help the LHS too since most of them only carry the entry lvl nitro cars. hell you can make it RTRs only like the slash class. and i dont see a fision doing anythig that evolves turing...and if you try...good luck with them hpi tires
Old 06-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Ricky you are on to something here. WHH has already got the OK to do some parking lot racing. Come up with some rules. I like Rays. Same motor and pipe combo VTA body and tires. Keep it as cheap as possible ,make it about the driver ,not the wallet. Should be a blast.
csweatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
Tech Elite

To be very honest about the engine rule. I run a broke down Novarossi 12sct in my vintage. Just as Ray said, the tires are the true equalizer. On small tracks, I am at the disadvantage and have to detune my motor. When we run vintage at 301,(once a season) that is where I can let all the horses run free. But, motors are not a major factor since most of our races are on the playgrounds set up by Ray.
The other factor for vintage that makes it fun for us is that we use what we have. It's pretty cheap to run Vintage. My HPI chassis is five years old. I'm running the same tires from last year. The body is the the only part that suffers..

I'm not really interested in buying a speck motor/pipe for nitro. 3 port rule is enough. If nitro moved to electric rules, I know that many would not race vintage. Hell, HPI sells vintage kits with .18's.

Pic of me and my buddy Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Nitro Vintage Trans Am-img_7657.jpg  
Old 06-05-2009, 01:41 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by csweatt View Post
Ricky you are on to something here. WHH has already got the OK to do some parking lot racing. Come up with some rules. I like Rays. Same motor and pipe combo VTA body and tires. Keep it as cheap as possible ,make it about the driver ,not the wallet. Should be a blast.
i think we copy Rays rule's they are actually racing and allready know whats working i think the 3port rule would be fine ..if we just choose one motor i think it would hurt the class starting up if we went the spec motor rule ..i wouldnt restrict pipes ..i will come up with a motor list and post it here and nashrc and see what u think.......i trust the other posts above the tires simply wont handle high end motors....and at our club level we can recomend motors that WHH carries
RCP Customs-RC Juice
Old 06-05-2009, 02:40 AM   #15
Tech Elite

MY Nitro VTA recommended Engines

Dynamite ….Any 3port .12 they offer

Ofna /hyper /force….any 3port non tuned .12 they offer

Novarossi…….Cx12 R2…. N12t1 … N12t2

RB Concepts… Junior 9 3port onroad

O.S…….12tz 3port only …12tg
and /or engines equal to price and performance

RTR kit OEM engines that came in the car originally includes .15 .18 engines

Any tuned pipe

The list contains Engines from different companies to give guys a little choice there’s a lot of entry level cars out there that need different crank sizes ,and need different exhaust configurations
RCP Customs-RC Juice