R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-27-2003, 02:52 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Raydee
Default Which 1/8th Scale Onroad car?

I have been looking for a 1/8th scale onroad car for a while but now I finally decided to get one. So far I have been looking at the Hpi Proceed and the Mugen MRX-3. I can get a killer deal on the Proceed but I wonder if it handles as good and is built as good as the Mugen? Can you guys tell me what clutch and 2 speed comes on both? Are the 2 speed's built like the NTC3 with a clutch type shift?
Raydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 02:57 PM   #2
Tech Regular

The reason your getting a killer deal on the Proceed is due to the fact that they`re being dicontinued. Even then they need a lot of hopups to be competitive. Either wait for the new Mugen or get a new 950R Serpent. These are the two with at least some level of support in the U.S.
saints1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 02:59 PM   #3
BG
Tech Addict

The Evolva placed 1st and 2nd at the 1/8th scale Worlds final and TQ as well, I think that speaks for itself. The Proceed was a great car but the new kit is even better. The parts for the Kyosho cars are very cheap as well, compared to the other brands.
BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 05:40 PM   #4
Tech Master

Default 1/8 onroad

Most top level 1/8 scale onroad racers come with a centax clutch and large clutch shoe designed 2 speeds.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 05:51 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have a brand new 950 team kit assembled for sale it has over 300.00 in hop ups plus all the stock parts and a new battery and a new painted body. brand new never ran. let me know if your intrested,

[email protected]
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:38 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I can Say that the mugen Is a very durable car & is very easy to keep up with. Respondes very well to any change you make on the car. The serpent Is a fine car as well. Not as easy to work on < which is bad if this is your first 1/8 scale> But part are easy to get. I would see which car you can get parts for easiest , So your not sitting on the outside Looking in at a race when you break something.
1fastmugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 06:27 PM   #7
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to =MisFitz= NuKe Send a message via Yahoo to =MisFitz= NuKe

I received the the 950R back a few months ago, and ran it at our regionals. Worked very, very well. It is much easier to work on that the 950. The new suspension works great. The parts quality is much better than any of the older cars. First race out and it was running with all of the top mugens. I was on a new TQ pace every run, but we had rediculous problems, like the battery dumping, but none of the problems were due to the car's quality.
=MisFitz= NuKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 07:12 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Default Re: Which 1/8th Scale Onroad car?

Quote:
Originally posted by Raydee
I have been looking for a 1/8th scale onroad car for a while but now I finally decided to get one. So far I have been looking at the Hpi Proceed and the Mugen MRX-3. I can get a killer deal on the Proceed but I wonder if it handles as good and is built as good as the Mugen? Can you guys tell me what clutch and 2 speed comes on both? Are the 2 speed's built like the NTC3 with a clutch type shift?
Btween the two and knowing little about proceed, I would go for the MRX3, as it was kind of like the "benchmark". I would also think that it sports newer features over the proceed....I've ran the MRX3 for over a year and it has been very reliable, easy to work with.

You may want to consider also the Evolva. I've seen the car and it's initial outings at our local track. It looks like a improved version of the MRX3 with better parts fit and minimal play esp at the arms. I don't know how long that will hold yet. But nice 6mm chassis(heavy?) and a super light rear pulley!!!

950R, a very nice looking car, super smooth trans like the Evolva. Wide handling sweet spot, turns sharp! But it is not as easy to work with as the Japs in that you'll have to fine tune the fit of the parts, majorly the arms. It comes with the excellent quality hardened drive shafts/cups. I've seen older snakes running these over last five years w/o replacement! Also the shafts don't bent. I've heard that it takes very very hard crash to break them.

Above are what I think as some of the minor differences. MRX3/Evolva/950R will all give a good run for your money. If you want looks and performance but need a little more work, then 950R. If you want performance and a straight forward car, I would think Evolva/MRX. Hope above input helps.
TitaniumR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 07:31 PM   #9
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to =MisFitz= NuKe Send a message via Yahoo to =MisFitz= NuKe
Default Re: Re: Which 1/8th Scale Onroad car?

Quote:
Originally posted by TitaniumR

950R, a very nice looking car, super smooth trans like the Evolva. Wide handling sweet spot, turns sharp! But it is not as easy to work with as the Japs in that you'll have to fine tune the fit of the parts, majorly the arms. It comes with the excellent quality hardened drive shafts/cups. I've seen older snakes running these over last five years w/o replacement! Also the shafts don't bent. I've heard that it takes very very hard crash to break them.
?? ???

The 950R, requires almost NO work to the arms, unlike to older cars. It took as much time to "clean up" that car, as it did to shave off the plastic where the brake plates go on the mugen.
=MisFitz= NuKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:13 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Change A front belt on a 950R & A front belt on a Mugen. Time frame Is major. Mugen has the simpler car. 950R is not a first Timers Car in my opinion { VERY GOOD } Pro car. Once you learn the ropes.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:45 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Re: Which 1/8th Scale Onroad car?

Quote:
Originally posted by =MisFitz= NuKe
?? ???

The 950R, requires almost NO work to the arms, unlike to older cars. It took as much time to "clean up" that car, as it did to shave off the plastic where the brake plates go on the mugen.
I do hear that R is far easier than older snakes. I was a beginner with the MRX3. And moving on to the R, the building work involved was quite a lot more - sanding arms spacers, opening roll center inserts' holes, opening the brake disc's holes to fit the pins on the block,... after that, it was a very rewarding car to drive. After one race and 4 outings total about a gallon of fuel, the arms are still tight but smooth.

If you mean sanding down the Mugen's brake pads, I did the same for my R, else binding.
TitaniumR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:35 PM   #12
Tech Master

1fastmugen
what do you think of the new kyosho? compared to the 950 and the mrx 3.I am thinking of getting one when I sell my 950.
mike
Old 12-31-2003, 03:42 PM   #13
Tech Adept

To be Honest , I don't know much about the car. Nobody in my area Runs the Car. We don't have any Good Kyosho Distribs. Here. So I can't really say anything. I'm sure it must work well Being it won this yr. =/
Old 01-04-2004, 09:36 AM   #14
Tech Master

Raydee

Have you made a decision on a car yet.I would go with the advice from 1 fast mugen because I have been racing for a few years and I am selling my 950 because it is not going to be easy to work on it and the mugen is proven winner just make sure you can get parts. ashford hobbies supports the mugen and the serpent.
mike
Old 01-04-2004, 03:34 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Raydee

To be honest I am going to wait for the Kyosho. I see that it is listed on Tower's site but isn't in stock yet.
Raydee is offline   Reply With Quote