Broken Receiver antenna effects???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broken Receiver antenna effects???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 04:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Broken Receiver antenna effects???

Hey guys,
During a teardown of my chit, I noticed the receiver wire, was chaffed almost completely through about 4 inches from where the wire is soldered to the receiver. This wire was definately to fine and to mangled to repair. So I cut the wire just before the first abrasion. Now, I have a receiver with a 4 inch wire coming off it.
Has anyone experianced anything of this nature? If so, my main question is, do I need to get inside the receiver and solder a new antenna, or will the 4 inches thats are left suffice?
Thanks in advance
Jason
Old 05-25-2009, 04:20 AM
Tech Master

........you should be able to resolder the wire and as long as the length is not altered too much......you should have no problems..........use some heat shrink to cover your splice..........
Old 05-25-2009, 05:07 AM
Tech Initiate

TaylorM,
The antenna had about 5 spots where the insulation is gone and the wires were frayed and protruding the insulation. So I removed the top 9 inches or so, since it was hacked beyond repair. I would imagine the overall length of the antenna was about 13 inches. I have no way of verifying this since I dont have the wire I removed anymore.
It is a synthesized hitec receiver.. kinda old school, but it was top notch when I got the thing.
So a 4 inch antenna is a no go huh?
Thanks again for the input.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:26 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by thewood1987
TaylorM,
The antenna had about 5 spots where the insulation is gone and the wires were frayed and protruding the insulation. So I removed the top 9 inches or so, since it was hacked beyond repair. I would imagine the overall length of the antenna was about 13 inches. I have no way of verifying this since I dont have the wire I removed anymore.
It is a synthesized hitec receiver.. kinda old school, but it was top notch when I got the thing.
So a 4 inch antenna is a no go huh?
Thanks again for the input.
i would not take a chance 100 dollar reciever or broken car and possiblyt blown engine.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Solder a new wire to the circuit board. Do not solder an extension wire to whats left of it. Go on the Hitec web site and find out the correct lenght. Do it right and play it safe.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Initiate

I didnt even think to check hitec's web site. I am gonna check it out. Thanks for the help.
Jason