Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Performance question: Under chassis aero package....Is it worth it? >

Performance question: Under chassis aero package....Is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Performance question: Under chassis aero package....Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 03:17 AM
Tech Regular

Default Sedan diffusers

With todays narrow nitro sedan chassis plates, I'm not sure how much good a rear diffuser would do. Most rear diffusers would probably work very well on cars with large chassis plates. Maybe I'm off base here.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RayJ
With todays narrow nitro sedan chassis plates, I'm not sure how much good a rear diffuser would do. Most rear diffusers would probably work very well on cars with large chassis plates. Maybe I'm off base here.
You are correct about the chassis plates, but ideal design of a wider chassis would be nice, however with the narrow chassis of today's designs, I addressed that issue to funnel what little air that does go under the chassis directly and make the most of it by giving the diffuser an hour glass shape to create as much vacume as possible.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:37 AM
Tech Regular

Interesting to see if you bring your design to market.

Most cars went to narrow chassis designs to limit weight, and to center more of the weight to the center of the car. With Lipo batteries saving almost 60 to 80g's of weight and much lighter drivetrain and suspension parts, it would be interesting to see what a full chassis with aero package would bring to the table. One of the best older handling cars on the mkt was the NTC3. Unfortunately reliability of drive train was always an issue with them. The large chassis plate of the NTC3 probably helped to limit underside aero drag that the current cars possess. The larger chassis plate also helps settle mid-corner aero problems with cross air underneath the car.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:38 AM
Tech Master

Default Keep it moving! PLEASE

Originally Posted by RayJ
Interesting to see if you bring your design to market.

Most cars went to narrow chassis designs to limit weight, and to center more of the weight to the center of the car. With Lipo batteries saving almost 60 to 80g's of weight and much lighter drivetrain and suspension parts, it would be interesting to see what a full chassis with aero package would bring to the table. One of the best older handling cars on the mkt was the NTC3. Unfortunately reliability of drive train was always an issue with them. The large chassis plate of the NTC3 probably helped to limit underside aero drag that the current cars possess. The larger chassis plate also helps settle mid-corner aero problems with cross air underneath the car.
Hey guys, I love this thread please keep it moving. For me these type of threads are what inspires me to always be willing to try new things on the track.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by T.MARSHALL
Hey guys, I love this thread please keep it moving. For me these type of threads are what inspires me to always be willing to try new things on the track.
Thank you......

I've been working on some other items and got side-tracked from working more on this.

After a lot of thought, I see no reason to bring this to market for 2 reasons.....first, I don' t have the money to get things started, and second, although I see this as being a good selling item, I don't think that I would make back the money needed to cover the cost of the inital investment within a reasonable amount of time. so....I'm going to be showing you all how to make one of your own rear diffusers. It will take about 30 min to make.
I will post step by step instructions later this week.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds great RC F
Looking forward to trying it out on the mugen!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Tech Master

hey rcfoolz ! Good thread and idea. I come from electric and my pal and I would like to test your diffuser on our touring cars, your project brought tons of discussions(/debate/fight/murder ;-) on the table . Could you decribe a brief how-to ?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
Thank you......

I've been working on some other items and got side-tracked from working more on this.

After a lot of thought, I see no reason to bring this to market for 2 reasons.....first, I don' t have the money to get things started, and second, although I see this as being a good selling item, I don't think that I would make back the money needed to cover the cost of the inital investment within a reasonable amount of time. so....I'm going to be showing you all how to make one of your own rear diffusers. It will take about 30 min to make.
Hi There:
Still waiting for the DO-IT-YOURSELF instructions. jack
Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

my ideas are still in the works on this.....financialy, I don't have the money to invest into making this come to light.....I am holding for a few months, but if somebody wants to take the ball and roll with it, they are more than welcome to call me.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default DXF 2wd 1/8 scale with rear diffuser

FYI

Dale
Attached Thumbnails Performance question: Under chassis aero package....Is it worth it?-dxf-st1.jpg   Performance question: Under chassis aero package....Is it worth it?-dxf-st2.jpg   Performance question: Under chassis aero package....Is it worth it?-image030.jpg  
Old 11-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

can i ask of its basic shape? is it anything like the clear one on the F1 car a page back? i wouldn't mind throwing something simple together for my last race of the season to see if it does make a difference..got all week to play with some lexan
Old 11-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by djmachinist
FYI

Dale
More pics of the Diffuser:
Attached Thumbnails Performance question: Under chassis aero package....Is it worth it?-366.jpg   Performance question: Under chassis aero package....Is it worth it?-367.jpg   Performance question: Under chassis aero package....Is it worth it?-368.jpg   Performance question: Under chassis aero package....Is it worth it?-369.jpg  
Old 11-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

any more on this?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
Thank you......

.................Why don't you sell detail plans with clear photographs and diagrams on how to make the aero package?? I would buy the plans, at least that way you would be about to get some money for your ideas and hard work.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

rcfoolz, did you give up on this? I was thinking of doing something similar myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.