Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 03:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Engine question

Well, I finally went out and ran the Collari today. Very nice engine, even at 50% throttle for break in, it was very quick. I had some trouble getting the engine tuned, as it would die when it switched over to the high speed needle. I tried going real rich then gradually leaning it out until it would keep running. That seemed to help, but the running temps were quite low (180 to 190). So to heat it up a bit more, I leaned it out some (maybe that was a bad idea???).

Anyway, here's part of my question; towards the end of the 3rd tank, the car started running very erratically. I decided to call it a day and when I got home, I found that a set of wheel bearings had completely frozen up. The bearings are almost impossible to move, and the axle is galled where it rides on the bearing. When I brought the car in, I measured the temp, it was a tad over 300!!!!! I was very worried that I overheated a brand new engine, so when I got home, I tore the engine down a bit, and I found that the top of the piston and the top of the sleeve has some brown discoloration. I don't know if the discoloration is the metal or a varish that has formed on the parts. There is still some pinch, although no where near as much as brand new. There is more pinch on it than on my Mugen MT-12, but I think I didn't break the Mugen in correctly. Anyway, is the engine toast? I was thinking of replacing the piston and sleeve. The con rod looks to be in good shape, as does the head.

Thanks!!
Old 02-10-2002, 04:24 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

your okay... the fuel will discoulor the piston, richen er up and continue breaking in.....