Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My new RS4 3SS kit will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default My new RS4 3SS kit will not start

I just completed the kit...and I am trying to start the motor for the first time, and it wont start.

I got it to crank over for a couple of secs, then it dies. It did this for about 3 times, and now it will not turnover.

The glow plug works, and I removed the Fuel filter, and still nothing.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 12-22-2003, 05:29 PM
Tech Regular

Contrary to the included engine break in procedure documentation, you might want to LEAN the High End Needle 1/8th a turn (clockwise).
Old 12-22-2003, 05:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you.

After i posted this..i tried it again...and got to it start and stay running. Now..about 3/4 through the first tank, in idle, the car died. Now it wont start back up again.

Is it too rich?
Old 12-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Let the car sit for a good 10 minutes. 5 if you're antsy

Locate your idle screw and raise it a bit less than 1/8th a turn clockwise. You just want to nudge it a little clockwise basically.

This should keep it running, but you will have to intermitently blip the throttle every few seconds. When the engine starts to sound like its clogging up, PROGRESSIVELY push the throttle trigger down, as if in slow motion, until the bogging goes away, then immediately blip and return to idle.

A little complicated, but works !
Old 12-22-2003, 05:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

MAn....no engine start, and not my cord will not go back in the pullstart mechanisim.....damn.

Now what?
Old 12-22-2003, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have this car and engine and it seems to be a bit tempermental so try replacing the glow plug(it may look good but might not BE good) if nothing try to get the carb back to factory settings (that is how I started (don't mess with Idle) you are in luck too I have the settings Low end(get a jewelers flathead the lowend screw goes in quite a bit) is 3 1/2 turns counter clockwise with the throttle held wide open
High end is 3 turns CCW from closed

as for the pullstart tap it with the handle of a screwdriver and if nothing take it off and inspect it the spring may have been bent out of shape you may be able to bend it back

Good Luck

Smoke
Old 12-22-2003, 06:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

damn...that is what i thought you were going to say. I just did not want to mess with taking the engine off again.

I might just take it to a lhs over xmas brake, and let them fix everyhing...and run a couple tanks through it....

Thanks for the replies
Old 12-22-2003, 11:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

I hate taking the engine off too so I just grab a drill and back out the rear assembaly(SP)easy access to the pull start and best of all... You don't waste any thread lock
Old 12-23-2003, 07:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ahhh....but i thought the rear lower arm was in the way of the bottom right screw that holds on the ps cover.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

take off the radio sys. take the pullstart cord out from the plastic square brace and then flip it over on the farthest back area of the chassis there should be 4 screws in a square pattern and a 5th screw off the left(with the front facing you upside down) un screw all five screws and the rear dog bone should be loose be careful and take the whole assembly off and the closest thing should be the pullstart on the engine then you should be able to reach all four mounting screws on the pullstart
Later
Smoke