Rubber tires !!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rubber tires !!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 09:52 PM
Tech Adept

for those guys who run rubber tires, do you spray WD40 on them? I heard that WD40 will soften the rubber and increase traction.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

also, does Rubber last longer than Foam or is it the other way around??? This is for bashing............ I am thinking either gettin Jaco 40 Shores or Team Orion Fresh Kicks...

Maybe i should get both
Old 12-24-2003, 01:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by tIANcI
That guy is one hell of a driver and he is just a tease, probably driving slower on FOAMs so that you all are not disheartened! LoL
no

he is not a tease,
because he competes with this other guy that took 36th at this past national race

not to mention all the other 7-9 guys in the A-main

he was barely ahead by 1 lap because the other guys car wasn't running very well

and it doesnt take "one hell of a driver" to drive faster with rubber tires

maybe his driving technique is better suited with rubber tires
Old 12-24-2003, 01:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by MugenMTX3Kid
also, does Rubber last longer than Foam or is it the other way around??? This is for bashing............ I am thinking either gettin Jaco 40 Shores or Team Orion Fresh Kicks...

Maybe i should get both
yes

if you have the right coumpond rubber tires will last around 4 times longer than foams

plus you have to keep resetting your ride height
Old 12-24-2003, 06:44 AM
afm
Tech Master

Tianci

Ooopss.....Sorry, yes you are from beautifull Malaysia.
You are welcome to come to Lima any time, weather is nice now, we are starting summer...nice beaches....nice girls...and good surfing, jajajajaja.
If you are to try rubber tires there is only two options BSR or PMT.

Icon

Yes it happens that performance does decrease towards the end of the life of a "normal EP" rubber tire, because the insert is loose inside the tire and rim assembly and it has like an air gap between the tire contact surface, but it doesn't happen that way with the Nitro rubbers we use, because inserts, tire and rim are all glued between them forming a compact assembly that looks and feels like a real 1.1 car tire.
With BSR and PMT tires you don't have to play around with inserts, they come allready assembled and with standarized inserts, leaving the user just the choice of hardness and or compound, just like the foams, but I do agree with you that they are not widely available. We have to import through our association by lots 3 to 4 times a year, and there is only those two manufacturers that make the right tire for nitro. Jaco used to make 26mm capped pre-mounted rubbers that worked fine, but they discontinued manufacturing that type about 2 years ago.
AFM
Old 12-24-2003, 07:06 AM
afm
Tech Master

Sleeper, and all Rubber tire users

Following is a copy of what BSR RACING TIRES told me about getting the most performance and lasting out of their rubber tires. I have been using this procedure with great success on all rubber tires.
Hope it helps.
AFM

"..........As far as traction, what I have found with the BSR capped tires on my paved oval racing which is on concrete and asphalt is that you have to break them in very slowly. This will acomplish two things:
1). It will remove the oils from the molding process and it will heat cycle the tires.
2). It will add much more time to the useful life of the tire. I've tried racing new tires without the slow break in and they were fast for the first two runs but no good after that. I've taken the same compounds and in a new set broken them in very slowly and the same tires have lasted me an entire competition at a National Event, plus about 10 practice sessions, and the tires never slowed down.

My break in procedure might be hard for you but here is what I do:
To break in tires I set the car up with a Stock motor and drastically under gear the car so it can't go fast at all. I practice on the track for three or four 10 minutes "SLOW"sessions. After each run I take the tires off the car and clean them with BSR SureGrip. The cleaning method continues with the heat cycling process, then I use 40 grit sandpaper and lightly buff the tires to remove any rubber build up. The tires will get hot doing this so you have to be careful not to overheat the tires which will loosen the glue on the rubber cap. To cool them down during the cleaning I use a can of air (like you clean your computer out on the inside) Just hold it upside down and spray the tire. It will almost freeze the rubber. I sand and freeze three times then put back on the car. Go back out and practice another "slow session". After three times of this routine the tires are heat cycled and all you will have to do after each run is clean them and they are ready to go.

I realize I can't ship you the SureGrip Traction compound in the mail. No chemicals overseas! But any light solvent will work. If you can go to an automotive store, look at the solvent used to clean car tire tubes before applying a patch to them. This works good.

If you can slow your nitro car down enough you might try this process.

Good luck"
Old 12-24-2003, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

afm,

interesting post regarding breaking in rubber tires. i never heard of anyone doing this before but if it works, good for you. so you say this is a good idea for all rubber tires? have you tried this procedure on sorex or yokomo tires and noticed an increase in performance and life of the tire? never heard of bsr capped tires. maybe i should try some.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

BM, BSR made capped tires for oval racing before. I don't know if they do now. You had to break them in, don't know what the process was back then. Ask the guys who used to run ovals at the Aala Park skating rink
Old 12-25-2003, 06:55 AM
afm
Tech Master

BM

I was surprised myself when I started using this process with BSR tires...IT WORKS.
I'm currently using PMT TYRES (Italy) and started using the same procedure and...... IT WORKS.
Haven't tried it on tires of the types of Yokomo and Sorex etc. because those tires are more oriented towards EP cars, but you could give a try and let us know your experience.
As for getting BSR Tires check their web site www.bsr-racing.com.
AFM