R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-20-2003, 01:10 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Unhappy Hello.

I'm new to the scene and I have a question. I just finished building my first HPI RS4 3 SS and Iím having a problem during the break in process. I have done about 5 moving break in runs and my car will still barely move. It seems that the transmission is having a hard time catching. I can't figure out what is wrong so some help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
DAUER962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 01:40 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Nobody huh?
Old 12-20-2003, 03:29 AM   #3
Tech Elite

. . . . well, not in 30 minutes, anyway.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 05:19 PM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Sounds like it may be the clutch, is it revving up but just not going anywhere?

I'm not up on HPI's, I'm sure someone will reply that is.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 05:45 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

if your engine is running very rich for break in then sometimes its not up to the rpm where the 2nd speed would catch. once its well broken in and the engine is properly tuned you can start tuning your clutch as well as the 2 speed.

if you find the 2nd gear on the 2 speed isnt engaging at full throttle, then the spring preload in the tranny is set too tight. slowing loosen the allen for the 2 speed to shift earlier.

usually the stock clutches engage just fine. but if you do need to change it so that it engages earlier, then either change the retainer spring to a lighter one or start removing material on the clutch shoes. for the latter, make sure you remove the same amount of material on both shoes and that you go by small increments.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:01 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by icon
...or start removing material on the clutch shoes. for the latter, make sure you remove the same amount of material on both shoes and that you go by small increments.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't removing material from the clutch make it lighter therefore making it engage earlier .
R J M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:24 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by icon
if your engine is running very rich for break in then sometimes its not up to the rpm where the 2nd speed would catch. once its well broken in and the engine is properly tuned you can start tuning your clutch as well as the 2 speed.

if you find the 2nd gear on the 2 speed isnt engaging at full throttle, then the spring preload in the tranny is set too tight. slowing loosen the allen for the 2 speed to shift earlier.

usually the stock clutches engage just fine. but if you do need to change it so that it engages earlier, then either change the retainer spring to a lighter one or start removing material on the clutch shoes. for the latter, make sure you remove the same amount of material on both shoes and that you go by small increments.
Thanks man.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:10 AM   #8
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by R J M
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't removing material from the clutch make it lighter therefore making it engage earlier .
remove material from shoes means make the shoes lighter and that you need higher RPM to make the clutch engage.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 05:02 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
remove material from shoes means make the shoes lighter and that you need higher RPM to make the clutch engage.
Yeah... then once I read the post again I realised that might be what he wants to do .
R J M is offline   Reply With Quote