R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Clockwork Racing Engines DM-1 Spec Picco 28

Here is a video of my latest engine...this is a Picco 28 modified for use in a DM-1.... This engine is fully retimed complete with altered induction port angles.... in 250' the car reaches 68 MPH and is still pulling strong.... to keep the car in control I have installed a HPI D-Box, without it the car is nearly undriveable.......What a blast to drive !!!! I would run the body, but it seems with the body the car wants to catch air and go airborne, so till I figure out a way to keep it ont he ground I wont be using a body.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBQjljTulFo

not bad for a $199.00 offroad 28 eh ?

Better quality video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGSSy...eature=channel

Last edited by Maximo; 05-11-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Its nice to see a car with so much power!! You definitely need better grip and good body aerodynamics to keep it on the ground.

For better aerodynamic downforce try mounting the body so that it is a 1 mm lower than the chassis in front, and level with the chassis in the rear. This will keep so much air from getting under the front of the car. The surface is not providing much traction with the tires you are using. Try a different compound of tires to get better traction, they your car should really fly ... but on the ground.
I have found the Inpanema tires provide lots of grip on parking lots.
1. Was your lot pretty dusty???
2. Was the Picco .28 easy to break-in??
Old 05-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Tech Champion

here is a video of my buddies Dm-1 with modded JPX 21..... these things are a blast to drive...FYI this car is also equiped with a D-Box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zr6RI9tpP8
Old 05-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveTracer View Post
Its nice to see a car with so much power!! You definitely need better grip and good body aerodynamics to keep it on the ground.

For better aerodynamic downforce try mounting the body so that it is a 1 mm lower than the chassis in front, and level with the chassis in the rear. This will keep so much air from getting under the front of the car. The surface is not providing much traction with the tires you are using. Try a different compound of tires to get better traction, they your car should really fly ... but on the ground.
I have found the Inpanema tires provide lots of grip on parking lots.
1. Was your lot pretty dusty???
2. Was the Picco .28 easy to break-in??

I am completely out of tire options ! this engine just has too much power for any tire...the lot is not dusty, the engine is just that strong...Yes the Picco was easy to break in, but I modify engines so break in is not an issue for me with any engine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGSSy...eature=channel
Old 05-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Looks like a dusty lot to me with the trails behind the car. Maybe its the poor vid quality. My 1/8th on road will do that all day on the softest foams you can get. Its got an unmodded .21 in it. Actually Most .12 touring cars will do that as well.

Lean is mean. Keep up the good work Neal.
German Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Muscle View Post
Looks like a dusty lot to me with the trails behind the car. Maybe its the poor vid quality. My 1/8th on road will do that all day on the softest foams you can get. Its got an unmodded .21 in it. Actually Most .12 touring cars will do that as well.

The vid quality does suck.. but you are seeing exhaust smoke more then anything else....The motor is temping in the 160 range and is anything but lean ( ecept when the tank is near empty )... And props to you if you have a stock .21 that can push a DM-1 like this, the rest of poor suckers have to run drag modded 28's to make this 9 lb car boogie.... As for the soft foams, I have already burnt off a set of OFNA softs, Inpanema softs and now am on a special tire combo that is wider and larger.....
Old 05-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Quote:

where did you go ? did you scamper back into your cave ?

why dont you put your money where your mouth is and post a video for us to see this magical stock .21 that can propel a DM-1 the same way as my drag modded 28 ? in fact with all the BS you post all over why dont you post some videos to backup the garbage you say ? all we ever hear from you is talk, you never have anything to offer other then words...if I didn't know better i;d say you likely never run nitro and probably have no clue how to eveen tune nitro...makes me wonder why your even on these forums in the first place....
Old 05-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Nice GT..
Those Picco's are a beast.
Timmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
where did you go ? did you scamper back into your cave ?

why dont you put your money where your mouth is and post a video for us to see this magical stock .21 that can propel a DM-1 the same way as my drag modded 28 ? in fact with all the BS you post all over why dont you post some videos to backup the garbage you say ? all we ever hear from you is talk, you never have anything to offer other then words...if I didn't know better i;d say you likely never run nitro and probably have no clue how to eveen tune nitro...makes me wonder why your even on these forums in the first place....
there is the guy we all know. Glad to see you rage again. Dont worry, there will be some videos of my 1/8th soon. The .21 is nothing special either its a .21 on road engine. They make more power then off road .28s.

What would you like me to backup?
German Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Quote:
there is the guy we all know. Glad to see you rage again. Dont worry, there will be some videos of my 1/8th soon. The .21 is nothing special either its a .21 on road engine. They make more power then off road .28s.

What would you like me to backup?
I am not running a typical 1/8th racer FYI...the DM-1 is a 9 lb brick of a car, more of a basher then a racer...shaft drive, big and heavy... Sure your .21 will push a typical 4.5 lb 1/8th racer with authority, but that same .21 is going to labor in the DM-1........ I am pulling every bit as much MPH as the Ab modded P9R in a Dm-1 and pulling it with my more authority...Witht he right mods a 28 can make huge power....... please before you make insulting comments ( which is all your capable of ) learn your facts !!!!

If you doupt me put that .21 you have in a Dm-1 and see for yourself, its whole different Anima then the car you run....... However don't you worry I will have a new Mugem onroad here very shorty, so then I will transpant the drag modded .28 into that then we can compare notes....

edit...... Now dude how do you expect me to react ? you come into my thread for no other purpose then to insult my work, what do you expect me to do ? Buy you a Coffee ? I mean seriously dude you need to pick a nw gameplan, what do you get out of being such a dick all the time anyways ? You do the same thing over and over again, you never offer anything positive to any threads... I get the message you do not like me, I do not like you either... But it seems every time I post a good video you get all jealous and have to put your 2 cents in LOL.....I mean dude your making yourself look foolish to be honest........ If you don't like my video and think you can do better feel free to get a DM-1 and do something better..... I mean we all would love to see a video of the mighty German Muscles machines.. You talk down to amany people about their gear and engines so it would be mind blowing to see this crazy gear you run.. I mean you must obviously have something we all don't have to feel entitled to talk down to people the way you do........... I modify engines, dam fast engines, I have proven my work time and time again.... bash me all you want but be aware I am not going anywhere any time soon , just because your freind also modifys engines doesn't mean you have to trash on everyone else's work........ You will be seeing alot more of me and my engines so you better get used to it....

Last edited by Maximo; 05-13-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I am not running a typical 1/8th racer FYI...the DM-1 is a 9 lb brick of a car, more of a basher then a racer...shaft drive, big and heavy... Sure your .21 will push a typical 4.5 lb 1/8th racer with authority, but that same .21 is going to labor in the DM-1........ I am pulling every bit as much MPH as the Ab modded P9R in a Dm-1 and pulling it with my more authority...Witht he right mods a 28 can make huge power....... please before you make insulting comments ( which is all your capable of ) learn your facts !!!!

If you doupt me put that .21 you have in a Dm-1 and see for yourself, its whole different Anima then the car you run....... However don't you worry I will have a new Mugem onroad here very shorty, so then I will transpant the drag modded .28 into that then we can compare notes....

edit...... Now dude how do you expect me to react ? you come into my thread for no other purpose then to insult my work, what do you expect me to do ? Buy you a Coffee ? I mean seriously dude you need to pick a nw gameplan, what do you get out of being such a dick all the time anyways ? You do the same thing over and over again, you never offer anything positive to any threads... I get the message you do not like me, I do not like you either... But it seems every time I post a good video you get all jealous and have to put your 2 cents in LOL.....I mean dude your making yourself look foolish to be honest........ If you don't like my video and think you can do better feel free to get a DM-1 and do something better..... I mean we all would love to see a video of the mighty German Muscles machines.. You talk down to amany people about their gear and engines so it would be mind blowing to see this crazy gear you run.. I mean you must obviously have something we all don't have to feel entitled to talk down to people the way you do........... I modify engines, dam fast engines, I have proven my work time and time again.... bash me all you want but be aware I am not going anywhere any time soon , just because your freind also modifys engines doesn't mean you have to trash on everyone else's work........ You will be seeing alot more of me and my engines so you better get used to it....
Please dont put my "legal AND legit business" name in your posts to help you argue with people... And BTW just a FYI your Drag Modified .28 at 68MPH is behind my little P9R .21 that was modified for HEAT RACING not DRAG MODIFIED by a solid 5MPH and on stock gearing in a DM-1 when tested months ago just to check the speed for the fun of it... NOT to post whore videos up all over the internet to try and stir in business.... And we don't even want to get into my modified .28s. I could post up some videos as well BUT I have nothing to prove. My ISC World Speed Records, reputation for GREAT work and customer service does that for me without having to get online and argue with people constantly.

If you guys want to argue thats fine just please leave my business and name out of it as i don't want to have to come in yet another thread to clear things up between you two. This is really getting old and is honestly irritating that i had to step in YET AGAIN... VERY Childish guys!
Old 05-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt4g63 View Post
Please dont put my "legal AND legit business" name in your posts to help you argue with people... And BTW just a FYI your Drag Modified .28 at 68MPH is behind my little P9R .21 that was modified for HEAT RACING not DRAG MODIFIED by a solid 5MPH and on stock gearing in a DM-1 when tested months ago just to check the speed for the fun of it... NOT to post whore videos up all over the internet to try and stir in business.... And we don't even want to get into my modified .28s. I could post up some videos as well BUT I have nothing to prove. My ISC World Speed Records, reputation for GREAT work and customer service does that for me without having to get online and argue with people constantly.

If you guys want to argue thats fine just please leave my business and name out of it as i don't want to have to come in yet another thread to clear things up between you two. This is really getting old and is honestly irritating that i had to step in YET AGAIN... VERY Childish guys!

I will post some top speed run videos very soon... I never once bashed or insulted your work.... I just said the truth that this modified 28 will pull the same MPH your P9R did.... No insult meant whatsoever, i was just defending my own hard work ... your engine is awesome, and I never intended to drag you into this..... However the truth is german came her insulting my work, saying a stock .21 will do the same thing... I have to disagree and say a stock .21 will not, even if a modified .21 has the same MPH it will not have the same power the 28 has.. ..... I am also running a stock geared Dm-1..... I have respect for you and your work, but don't ever for a second think I am going to let either you or German talk down to me without me defending myself... sorry but i never started this and I only used your engine as a reference....... your engine is pulling 74 MPH and respectfully I will say no more till I have video proof beating or matching it ! It is true in the smaller parking lot I could only hit 68, but since then we have found a bigger more open space and the speeds are definitely much higher with more room ! its hard to top out in 250'......once again your name was only used in reference, i figure if my 28 hits 74 its definitely pulling harder then a stock .21 if a modifed .21 is hitting the same MPH........ But as I say I will post some video soon......
Old 05-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Im not getting into this thread to rape anybody or anything related but just to give my opinion on what i tested and owned personaly.

Here we go,

in the video of my P9R it was pretty cold outiside and the engine had sluggish low end due to outside temp and still had a little of metal pinch.

It was also just a quick test, did couple of runs and reinstalled the OS.28Xz next.

We also did the 2 engine test the same day, same car, same tires , same pipe, same gearing. etc...

I cannot see legit to compare my test with someone else test until the test involve the same setup.

Tires have a huge impact on top speed, the bigger the tires = wider gearing.

I know you are using MT wheels with streched Jato tires, i dont know if thats what was used for the 68mph run though...

But from 68 to 73 theres still a lot to do, in the video you just posted by the sound of it i dont think the car have gone to 60 once (in the vid)
Not to rape or anything,

the engine you did have a good bottom end like a good .28, it does sound high pitch because of the raised exhaust port, but i would still like to see a true comparison.

Ofna DM1 1/7 scale (longer than your)
16T20T gearing (stock)
stock ofna rubber tires
ofna 086 pipe

Then you would also need a ABmods Picco .21 P9R because the area you run may be help top speed, i see difference from a place to another where i run, and both surface look flat.

You see in my vid i can also do the same speed back and forth.

In my test i noticed with everything stock on the car:

stock OS28: 63mph
ABmods OS28: 71mph
Picco .21 P9R: 73mph

In acceleration the Picco .21 was already near 70mph passing by us where the stock OS 28 was topping out after passing by us.

For brutal force the .28s are of course stronger on bottom end, no surprise since they are not designed the same...

peak power of the stock OS 28 is was lower than the Picco .21 P9R wich explain the top speed difference using stock gears:

edit: i was to post the OS 28 drag mod vs stock graph from Abmods but i dont have enought post on the forum lol

Stock OS28 1.97hp (peak 27800 rpm)
ABmods drag mod OS28 2.51hp (peak 28300 rpm )
stock Picco .21 2.14hp (peak 35000 rpm)
Stage 2 Picco .21 P9R 2.35hp (peak near 35000rpm)

But even drag modified (and i can tell you it is well modified, a lot of test have been done with the OS28 by ABmods, with my help.)
even drag modified it could not spin as fast as the .21, but its close and have more bottom.

But again the .21 is just a stage 2 right now....
I could also talk about runtim but it have nothing to do with what we are talking about... hehe

All in all, i would not compare an ABmods Picco .21 P9R without having the finger on the trigger once...

I agree with what you are saying that a .28 can be close in top end to an onroad .21, but the ONLY proof i have is my video. i tested both back to back, did top speed runs back and forth with both.

Again its not rape or anything... i just think the comparison was not appropriate...

Mike

-Worlds fastest nitro revo 75mph...for now
ABMods OS.28XZ drag mod
Over_revO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over_revO View Post
Im not getting into this thread to rape anybody or anything related but just to give my opinion on what i tested and owned personaly.

Here we go,

in the video of my P9R it was pretty cold outiside and the engine had sluggish low end due to outside temp and still had a little of metal pinch.

It was also just a quick test, did couple of runs and reinstalled the OS.28Xz next.

We also did the 2 engine test the same day, same car, same tires , same pipe, same gearing. etc...

I cannot see legit to compare my test with someone else test until the test involve the same setup.

Tires have a huge impact on top speed, the bigger the tires = wider gearing.

I know you are using MT wheels with streched Jato tires, i dont know if thats what was used for the 68mph run though...

But from 68 to 73 theres still a lot to do, in the video you just posted by the sound of it i dont think the car have gone to 60 once (in the vid)
Not to rape or anything,

the engine you did have a good bottom end like a good .28, it does sound high pitch because of the raised exhaust port, but i would still like to see a true comparison.

Ofna DM1 1/7 scale (longer than your)
16T20T gearing (stock)
stock ofna rubber tires
ofna 086 pipe

Then you would also need a ABmods Picco .21 P9R because the area you run may be help top speed, i see difference from a place to another where i run, and both surface look flat.

You see in my vid i can also do the same speed back and forth.

In my test i noticed with everything stock on the car:

stock OS28: 63mph
ABmods OS28: 71mph
Picco .21 P9R: 73mph

In acceleration the Picco .21 was already near 70mph passing by us where the stock OS 28 was topping out after passing by us.

For brutal force the .28s are of course stronger on bottom end, no surprise since they are not designed the same...

peak power of the stock OS 28 is was lower than the Picco .21 P9R wich explain the top speed difference using stock gears:

edit: i was to post the OS 28 drag mod vs stock graph from Abmods but i dont have enought post on the forum lol

Stock OS28 1.97hp (peak 27800 rpm)
ABmods drag mod OS28 2.51hp (peak 28300 rpm )
stock Picco .21 2.14hp (peak 35000 rpm)
Stage 2 Picco .21 P9R 2.35hp (peak near 35000rpm)

But even drag modified (and i can tell you it is well modified, a lot of test have been done with the OS28 by ABmods, with my help.)
even drag modified it could not spin as fast as the .21, but its close and have more bottom.

But again the .21 is just a stage 2 right now....
I could also talk about runtim but it have nothing to do with what we are talking about... hehe

All in all, i would not compare an ABmods Picco .21 P9R without having the finger on the trigger once...

I agree with what you are saying that a .28 can be close in top end to an onroad .21, but the ONLY proof i have is my video. i tested both back to back, did top speed runs back and forth with both.

Again its not rape or anything... i just think the comparison was not appropriate...

Mike

German is the issue, not me...... I am only defending myself and my work ...