R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The problem with running a 1/8th onroad car in an unprepared parking lot is that the belts really don't like all the small stones that get in them. For parking lot bashing I would get one of the buggy based onroad cars from OFNA or Kyosho. Shaft drive deals with sand and stones much better. Plus many tracks are racing them now so if you decide to go racing you may be able to do it with that car.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #17
Tech Rookie

Well, I am pretty dead-set on getting that kind of car. It has always fascinated me, while the others haven't,. Will running it in a parking lot cause permanent damage? I remember my Picco had a belt break off once, and it was a cheap fix. As long as it happens rarely, and is cheap for me to fix, I will take the risk.
However, if there is something that will cause permanent damage, do tell me, as I do not want that to happen!
unfunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

There is really no such thing as permanent damage since every part on the car can be replaced. It's just frustrating when you just spent an hour replacing a front belt and after 10 min of hard running it strips again.

If you have to have a 1/8th racer, why not stick with the car you have? Parts are a but hard to find but are still out there and a new motor is cheap if you get a new but less expensive version. Maybe a good offroad motor like an RB S5 or something like that.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #19
Tech Rookie

Hm, I don't recall it taking me an hour; however, I bet I messed a lot of things up in the process of replacing it .

I wanted to get a fresh start with a racer I hadn't tainted with my poor skills :P. I am fairly certain that old car has many issues. The engine is almost certainly damaged. It was never maintained. I doubt I can even find many of the parts I had for it. I do not even know if I will be able to find the radio control for it. In fact, I do not know if I will even be able to locate the car itself... I just left it somewhere in my room when I was fifteen years old, 7 years ago. I just do not think the time spent to restore it would be worth it. I would just be frustrated. That is why I just want to start fresh with a newer racing car.

Oh, and what I mean by permanent damage is: Damage to the gears, engine, anything that is expensive to replace.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well honestly my advice would be to check any track in your neighbourhood .
All tracks will accept 1/10 but 1/8 not all ... it need to be quite big .
I bought a second hand motonica p8.0r chassis (second hand extremely cheap with plenty spare parts unused) only to discover the nearest track (20miles) wasn't able to accept it
Now the difference between 1/8 ans 1/10 is really not that big also with the body shell off they have exactly the same structure /architecture (lola body shield exist for 1/10 too...).
About 2"1/2 wider and not even 2" longer I'll try to take a shoot to show the difference .
Moneywise it's very different ! much more expensive on the engine especialy 1/10 being more common spare part are cheaper and easier to find (can even borow some on the track because other people will have it).

ps:sorry for mistakes i'm french
shannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #21
Tech Rookie

Hehe, don't worry about the English mistakes .

However, as I stated earlier, I do not plan to take it to any tracks. I just don't have to time to go by someone else's schedule right now. I am researching quantum cryptography, among other things, and that takes up a lot of my time. All I plan to do is mess around in a very large parking lot about 30 minutes from my house. It was abandoned last time I checked, and it was huge, with very few obstacles. I just want do go there every so often and have some fun by myself or with a few friends. I do not plan to compete at this time, if ever.

As for money, I am not too worried right now. I have a huge number of things I can sell, and I can do research at my college to make money. As long as the initial investment in a few must-have parts not already included with a RTR or ARR kit do not exceed $1,000 USD or so, I am fine.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #22
Tech Rookie

Hey, since I have decided what I am going to purchase (the XR80, unless that Kyosho Evolva M3 owner emails me back, in which case I will probably purchase his car), I was wondering if any of you guys knew a good (and cheap) online site for RC car accessories.

I am specifically interested in things like (quality follows for all of this) toolkits, spare tires, engine maintenance accessories, glow plugs and starters, nitro fuel, rechargeable batteries (for a flywheel starter, not for an electric rc car, so i do not need some high performance rechargeable battery), Tx & Rx crystals, etc.

Any advice on a good site for these things would be appreciated.

Of course, any advice at all would be appreciated !
Old 05-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #23
Tech Addict

www.brooklynhobbies.com they got everything and are really cheap.
KyoshokiddT.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #24
Tech Rookie

Thank you, I am checking it out now!