R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default MTX-3 Upgrade?

So i want to get back into racing rc again since some buddy's are doing the same.

I dusted off my car and it's a MTX-3 and i wanted to know if this car is still being raced.

Also are parts still available? Also what's different from an MTX4R and the MTX3?
Can i buy parts to make my MTX3 a MTX4R?

Thanks guys..
EnzoRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoRacing View Post
So i want to get back into racing rc again since some buddy's are doing the same.

I dusted off my car and it's a MTX-3 and i wanted to know if this car is still being raced.

Also are parts still available? Also what's different from an MTX4R and the MTX3?
Can i buy parts to make my MTX3 a MTX4R?

Thanks guys..
From what I remember, you could not make the MTX3 into the MTX4, so I'm pretty sure you can't make it into the MTX4R either. There are a few parts that can be interchanged but for the most part, you could not turn the 3 into a 4

At first glance the cars look similar but when you look at them closer you see that the chassis set up was changed on the 4 from the 3. More stuff was moved to the center of the chassis on the 4. Also the gear ratio had been changed.

Take a look at their photos and specs one their website in the discontinued models. From the main page click on products then discontinued. If you have the prospec version you may be able to do some hop-ups to get you closer to the MTX4. I still see quite a few parts on the net, so you should be ok if you go that route.

http://www.mugenseiki.com/menueefi.htm
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I don't think you can make a 3 into a 4. The 4's chassis is too different. A 4 or 4r can be had fairly cheap these days
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo

Last edited by lil-bump; 05-10-2009 at 09:45 AM.
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:22 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I remember with the 3, it always seemed to have a push I could never get rid of. You could only get it to where it wasn't too bad, but never great. The first time I ran a 4, it was on a bumpy, low grip parking lot track and with the stock setup, it handled pretty good. Now that i've had the 4R for a while, i'm really happy with it. Without much work, you can get it to handle like a dream.

The only "bad" thing about the 4 is that alot of people seemed to have a gear stripping problem with it, myself included. I didn't have this problem with the 3 and I had a 3 for a couple years and I've had other cars before that so i'm not new to this game. There is alot of debate as to what is at fault here. Everything from the owner not setting proper gear mesh, to the 2 speed shifting too hard, and the list of other "suspected" reasons is very long. It's a really weird problem because some people never have a problem and some people can't get it to stop. So, I don't know if you'll have that problem if you decide to go to a 4, it's just something I thought you should be aware of.

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMD View Post
I remember with the 3, it always seemed to have a push I could never get rid of. You could only get it to where it wasn't too bad, but never great. The first time I ran a 4, it was on a bumpy, low grip parking lot track and with the stock setup, it handled pretty good. Now that i've had the 4R for a while, i'm really happy with it. Without much work, you can get it to handle like a dream.

The only "bad" thing about the 4 is that alot of people seemed to have a gear stripping problem with it, myself included. I didn't have this problem with the 3 and I had a 3 for a couple years and I've had other cars before that so i'm not new to this game. There is alot of debate as to what is at fault here. Everything from the owner not setting proper gear mesh, to the 2 speed shifting too hard, and the list of other "suspected" reasons is very long. It's a really weird problem because some people never have a problem and some people can't get it to stop. So, I don't know if you'll have that problem if you decide to go to a 4, it's just something I thought you should be aware of.
hey,JetMD
what was you able to do about the push in the 3? this is my first car and I have this problem.thanks,
Old 05-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxx4 View Post
hey,JetMD
what was you able to do about the push in the 3? this is my first car and I have this problem.thanks,
One thing you can try is lighter diff oil in the front and back but make front lighter than back (ie if the car has 50 weight oil in both diffs, try 40 up front and 50 in back) check your manual, if you still have it, to see what they start with. Also a oneway bearing up front would help, but if your still learning to drive you might not want to go there yet.

My 2cents
Old 05-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo83 View Post
One thing you can try is lighter diff oil in the front and back but make front lighter than back (ie if the car has 50 weight oil in both diffs, try 40 up front and 50 in back) check your manual, if you still have it, to see what they start with. Also a oneway bearing up front would help, but if your still learning to drive you might not want to go there yet.

My 2cents
thanks and I do have the manual and will post the effects of this when I make the changes
Old 05-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Tech Regular

No problem...

Lighter oil will allow the diffs to rotate easier on off power, so when you car is turning the outside wheel can turn more freely to match its different turn radius, than the inside wheel, thus helping the car turn in better.

Be sure to get Mugen oil if you can. Different brands weights vary. ie...Associate 5k oil is much heavier than Mugen 5K. Plus you'll be able to work with starting point from your manual if you use the same brand.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Default 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo83 View Post
No problem...

Lighter oil will allow the diffs to rotate easier on off power, so when you car is turning the outside wheel can turn more freely to match its different turn radius, than the inside wheel, thus helping the car turn in better.

Be sure to get Mugen oil if you can. Different brands weights vary. ie...Associate 5k oil is much heavier than Mugen 5K. Plus you'll be able to work with starting point from your manual if you use the same brand.
will you be at 301 next month?? if so maybe we can meet there I will have the car.thanks,James
Old 05-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
will you be at 301 next month?? if so maybe we can meet there I will have the car.thanks,James
I hope to be, but its still up in the air for me. I sometimes have to work on weekends. If I'm not, I'm sure there'll be plenty of guys from the forum here that will help you out.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
thanks and I do have the manual and will post the effects of this when I make the changes
So Traxx4.....where are you on your adjustments?