R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-16-2003, 05:39 PM   #46
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
You can wash the foam filters and reuse them.. they supply you with enough filter oil for many applications. Warm soapy water works a treat.
i cant remember but i think the RB manual actually does not recommend reusing foam filters. reason being is that supposively soapy water can get most of the larger particles on the outside but the small particles can sometimes be trapped deeper in the filter that does not get washed away.

personally i think there is some logic in it but also very dependent on how well a person cleans the foam filter. this is the reason i prefer the motorsaver actually since i can just replace the foam fitler element easily if need be.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:02 PM   #47
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by 993power
Hey, you would use a K&N air filter 5/8" inlet made for crankcase ventilation. I can get one for you for about $20.00 shipped. To your door. I work for a car shop, that fixes up imports for turbocharging etc..

chris
oh well, if i know you are in this business and sell those little shinny filter for a living, I will not bash K&N filter.

come on racer, K&N is such a great product that you need to put one on your engine. Is that what people love to hear?
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:02 PM   #48
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey B, you truly are right, and what you said is totally respectable. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm just pointing fingers at people saying "I heard" or people who haven't done R&D testing and just jump on the band wagon, and say what they think could be right. Have a Happy Holiday.

Take care

chris
Hey Chris, it is great to see good sportsmanship and manners on the forum Keep up the great work

Cheers~
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:07 PM   #49
Tech Champion

Quote:
Hey B, you truly are right, and what you said is totally respectable. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm just pointing fingers at people saying "I heard" or people who haven't done R&D testing and just jump on the band wagon, and say what they think could be right. Have a Happy Holiday.

Take care

chris
worst case is that you are ASSuming people that they didnt have K&N but just bash ! what is this attitude ? I can bash. cant I?
Old 12-17-2003, 03:47 PM   #50
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
"I said that. And your example of how it works is wrong. The filter when used as a breather does not have much airflow at all. It is not realy an intake filter like a carby filter or airbox filter. There is simply not that much air flow. A piston moving down actually created positive pressure in the crank case. However this is almost negated by the fact that another piston is moving up and creating a negative pressure. All the pistons move at a different time, so the breather allows the small eccess pressure escape or to allow a small amount in to the crankcase. It also allows for the fact that the oil expands as the engine heats up, and the hot air inside a running engine's crankcase is less dense and therefore a lower pressure than the atmosphere. It also reduses the pressure inside the crankcase as rings start to wear and some om the combustion pressure slips past the rings. In many cases, you will find the breather actually allows more flow of air out of the crankcase than into it.

Some airfilters are better than others in their operation. The K&N looks nice, but it is realy no better than the foam type of filter in an RC application, but you cant go past them on a fullsize car."
Sparksy, forgive me if I did expalin it wrong I'm sorry. Unforutnately I don't know how to paraprase it. But if this is correct, why does HONDA, TOYOTA, MAZDA, If not MOST manufacturers, have this "breathing" system attached right at the intake pipe without a filter ? The only filter is the primary one. As you know, oil comes out of this pipe from the top of the cyclinder head and splashes into the intake pipe., and then sucks back air in. Does the breather count as filter, for particles to come in ?

One you thing you have to think about is, and this is from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I have seen ALOT ( and I have used) RD logic air filters in particular. They are simple Glued to the base of the rubber. After a few runs and removing the airfilter etc..for cleaning, the glue gets worn out, and if you do take a look at it, this lets little small particles in. If you miss this, dirt will get into your engine.

I'm just providing a solution which can or may help us out. I will do testing on both and R&D it. I'm already purchasing an Engine Dyno, and SEE EXACTLY what makes hp, and what does not. On both .12 and .21cc engines.

Manticore- I didn't seem to come off as ASSUMING, and if you know before "ASSUMING is the mother of all F'ups" Like I said before everyone is intitiled to their own opinion, but people who make comments without testing or has not even had the product should not comment. If you have the product, hey by all means, feel free. Voice your opinion. I go to school and fix up imports; turbocharging etc.. Yes I do sell K&N filters on a daily basis at my shop. I'm not bashing anyone elses products (saying they suck), I'm only saying what I have TESTED myself and personal experience.

Take Care

Chris

Last edited by 993power; 12-17-2003 at 03:53 PM.
993power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:10 PM   #51
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Smoke21

I agree the motor saver is a great airfilter ( like I said before I run an 11MM Motorsaver w/ dust cover on my HPI Nitro Star 12R SS racing engine) I highly reccomend you get the motorsaver instead of K&N.
Smoke21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:16 PM   #52
Tech Master

Sparksey is correct.

The breather filter is used to exhauset pressure caused by blowby. This is the small amount of gas that gets by the rings and into the crank case of the engine. If the rings are worn, this could be a lot of gas.

Most new cars don't vent the crankcase gas but inject it back into the air filter to reduce emissions.

If you want to know more about the performance of the K&N filters, just ask around in the off road forum. They will tell you in no uncertain terms that the K&N filters allow small sand particles to pass through.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:43 PM   #53
Tech Champion

993power: i mention it here again ! K&N Sucks. sorry if you sell less if I said so !
Old 12-17-2003, 07:32 PM   #54
Tech Apprentice

Hey no problem at all, and no pun intended. Ignorance is always a bliss wether someone wants to take the advice or not.

chris
Old 12-17-2003, 07:42 PM   #55
Tech Champion

three in a row recommend others instead of K&N. take it or not? what are you struggling for now mr. salesman?
Old 12-18-2003, 12:59 AM   #56
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

I already have a K&N but I'm honestly afraid to put it on my car for fear of damage . Like I said, so far most reviews on the K&N in r/c application are not great, but what I would be interested in is the Paris K&N filter. If that filter is spec'd specifically for r/c nitro engines and has more gauze element in the housing I think it could be an effective filter. But right now the current K&N filters (with the chrome tops) does not appear to be able to filter fine particles.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 06:24 PM   #57
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
three in a row recommend others instead of K&N. take it or not? what are you struggling for now mr. salesman?
Whoever said I was TRYING to sell (force people and TELL them it's better or even try to say a product is better) K&N parts to R/C guys. I just asked from a previous post if he wanted to, I can get one.

Maybe you should read post before assuming things. I work on REAL cars Turbocharging etc.. and sell K&N on REAL Cars not R/C cars. Like I said I just offered it to him. I didn't say something sucks like what you said.

Nuff said.

chris

Icon: I have done a few laps with 3 different motors a Novarossi, RB and Sirio w/ the K&N filter. From my experiment, I've found no to very minimal "dust" ( no metal shavings ) in the carb. All motors have been ported with a bigger carb and are heavily ported. I'll do more test. One test I'd like to do is try surrounding metal shavings around each filter and see if any of them get sucked in. Unlike some people, I have the money to buy as many motors as I want and crash them to do some R&D testing. If I'm wrong, at least I'll find the best airfilter for my R/C car. Thank You.

Last edited by 993power; 12-18-2003 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:28 PM   #58
Tech Champion

Thumbs down

Quote:
Whoever said I was TRYING to sell (force people and TELL them it's better or even try to say a product is better) K&N parts to R/C guys. I just asked from a previous post if he wanted to, I can get one.

Maybe you should read post before assuming things. I work on REAL cars Turbocharging etc.. and sell K&N on REAL Cars not R/C cars. Like I said I just offered it to him. I didn't say something sucks like what you said.

Nuff said.

chris
whatever, majority of us here are not agreeing with your recommendation.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:32 PM   #59
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
whatever, majority of us here are not agreeing with your recommendation.
Whatever ? , Um alrite. Did I force anyone to agree what I have to say ? Like I said take it for what it is. Not as a insult, just doing some R&D testing.

chris

Like I said man, give it up. I didn't "shove" anything to anyone, just advice and my own opinion., no one doesn't have to take it if they don't want to.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:36 PM   #60
Tech Champion

Quote:
Whatever ? , Um alrite. Did I force anyone to agree what I have to say ? Like I said take it for what it is. Not as a insult, just doing some R&D testing.

chris

Like I said man, give it up. I didn't "shove" anything to anyone, just advice and my own opinion., no one doesn't have to take it if they don't want to.
my advice, save your hardsell job here. or you may put up your offer at the buy and sell section.