R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Spinning out at full speed (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/294675-spinning-out-full-speed.html)

vinrx7 05-04-2009 08:01 PM

Spinning out at full speed

DM-1 spinning out at full speed.
Im running in a large parking lot. Its pretty flat and smooth. As soon as it hits second gear the back end starts to break loose, even when i dont punch it. Doesnt do this on the street. Is it because of my setup or because of tires?
Today it actually spun out and became air born about 3ft. My new body now has some battle wounds. Is it also possible that the front of my body is catching air and causing it to lift up?
BTW...im running stock treaded tires.

CurveTracer 05-04-2009 09:13 PM

I have never run my cars kit tires on my DM1 Spec. Sounds like the kit tires are not allowing your car to get the power down and "hook-up" as they say in drag racing. For the track you need a set of racing slicks or belted treaded type racing tires. Inpanema is a popular tire for the racetrack. They have both slicks and treaded/belted rain tires. All are mounted on the rims.
Lots of tire and chassis/body edges can catch the pavement when a car spins out. Keep the body at the same height as the chassis to prevent air from getting underneath.

vinrx7 05-04-2009 10:28 PM

Im not sure if i should go with the treaded or slicks. Will the treaded hook up in the parking lot? I dont want to end up in the same situation with a brand new set of tires. How can i figure out the shore number to use?
thanks.

mike jones 05-04-2009 11:07 PM

It sound like to me that your insert in side your tire are coming apart in side the tire making the tire balloon and at high speed throwing the balance of your car off. I know ( PMT, GRP, Twister Tires and Ofna ) makes pre-mounted tire so you don't have that problem and slicks or treaded tires work in parking lots.

hopefully I was helpful
Brian Thomas

vinrx7 05-05-2009 11:59 AM

Im looking into the Ipanema treaded tires. Something that would work on street and smooth pavement would be good for me. The tires i have now are the ones that came with my Ofna DM1. I dont think its from ballooning though because it does it even when im not at full speed. Slight turns at half throttle in a parking lot makes it slide out. No problems on the street at full speed.

Kyo83 05-06-2009 07:06 AM

Unless the parking lot is dirty or has lots of bumps, I'm not sure wha teh difference from the that and the street would be. Most parking lost I play in are smoother and cleaner than the neighborhood streets.

Does your car spin out after after driving it around for a bit. Maybe you tire just need to warm up. I know I have some slick on my 1/10 scale car that are just like that. Once the sun comes out their traction gets much better.

AWDdude 05-06-2009 09:33 AM

ha ha this happend to me the other day i couldnt figure out why my 4-tec was "spinning out" so easily. it turned out i forgot to put the retaining clip on the front pulley and the belt came off making the car RWD.

TRX 3.3 and only 2WD = no traction

Kyo83 05-06-2009 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by AWDdude (Post 5777463)
ha ha this happend to me the other day i couldnt figure out why my 4-tec was "spinning out" so easily. it turned out i forgot to put the retaining clip on the front pulley and the belt came off making the car RWD.

TRX 3.3 and only 2WD = no traction

Ummmm.....DM 1 is shaft drive. However it is something to check for, making sure both driveshafts are in place.

AWDdude 05-06-2009 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kyo83 (Post 5777527)
Ummmm.....DM 1 is shaft drive. However it is something to check for, making sure both driveshafts are in place.

i know it is, my point was, as you said, to check if the front wheels are getting torque ;)

Kyo83 05-07-2009 01:27 PM

Did you resolve this issue vinrx7?

vinrx7 05-07-2009 11:45 PM

Im going to check the driveline tomorrow to make sure its all hooked up.
BTW, the parking lot is dusty. smooth but dusty. Its not totally level. some high and low spots. I see the back end of the car bop up and down a little when i punch it. Plus i see scratches on the bottom of the chassis. I know that definately plays a part but even at med speed when i make a turn the back wants to just slide out.

I have a set of Ipanema belted slicks on the way. 35 shore rear and 45 front.

Jspeed 05-07-2009 11:49 PM

That should help:)

Kyo83 05-08-2009 08:45 AM

Another thing....you mentioned that your car caught air....which means, either ground is uneven and bumpy or your shocks may be too stiff (springs/shock oil).

That DM-1 has adjustable shocks. Try making the dampening softer. This will also help you gain more traction.

vinrx7 05-08-2009 11:56 AM

Yeah, i did stiffen the rear shock springs. I did that because the chassis in the back was bottoming out. Just trying to prevent excess gouges in the frame. Ill soften it back up.

Kyo83 05-08-2009 01:12 PM

:ha::ha::ha::ha:.....I hate to say it but I think you/we've discovered your problem.:blush:

Your car is bound to spin out if you make the rear end more stiffer than the front. If the surface you are running on is very bumpy and uneven and you don't want to ruin your chassis, put bigger buggy on-road tire on your car and raise the body post up a couple of notches. You'll notice that your car's acceleration has been reduced but you top end will increase.

I bought a set by mistake:o and now I use them for that reason alone. (Not all parking lots are smooth as paper).