Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new to nitro road racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Default new to nitro road racing

I am newto nitro road raceing,the track that I go to is concrete.I have a hpi rs4 evo3. I am looking for a good tire set up,I don't know what manufacture or compound to get. can someone help me? the track is outside

Last edited by meatpupet; 04-28-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Are you just practicing/playing around in a parking lot or are you racing? If you're practicing I'd go around 42 or 45 shore so they'll last awhile. For racing it'll depend on your temperatures and how high traction the surface is. What kind of temps where you live?

Last edited by Arboleda; 04-28-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Tech Initiate

I live in ohio, right now temps in 60 t0 70, the avrage is about 80 to 90 in summer. I plan on racing. the track is got low traction.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:53 AM
Tech Regular

We race on similar parking lot and we use 35 or 37 tires. I usually run ATS 37 front and rear. And run very lost diff (around 3-8K as the traction is quite low). Depend if you race or just playing around as 35 or 37 do not last very long. Hope this help.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There are various ways to achieve better traction the easies being, a change in tire compound, but also the most costliest in the long run, since they'll wear out faster. I like to start from a neutral car and make adjustments as needed to the easist access parts

Alternatives you can try:

1) Softer shock springs in front give more turn-in, in the back give less turn but car won't spin out as easily.

2)Lighter shock oil all the way around should help out for those bumpy parking lot race tracks (we've all been there)

3) A change in diff oil will help with traction by easing your acceleration, but it is the most time consuming. If you make a change here, might want to go lighter oil in the rear diff.

Check you HPI manual or their website and start making you adjustments from there.

I'm not sure if your new to rc or just new to on-road racing, but this track could be a blessing in disguise for you. It's low traction could be a valuable training course for you to work on accerating, braking and Line taking.

Hope this all helps and good luck

I have a great link to helping one understand car setup. I'll upload later tonight when I get back home.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Default one way diff

would a one- way front diff. help with front end traction
Old 05-01-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

unless u dont need to brake alot i wouldnt recomend a one way the car handles very good with a one way but u can only use very little break or the car will spin out i found that on a track with tight turns and alot of breaking involved go with a very stiff front or even a locked front i use locked up front and 50000 in the rear but people will tell u different all day long what to do so just get out there and try some different thing and make note of your times and how it feels to u

Good luck
Old 05-01-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Roadrash730
.....but people will tell u different all day long what to do so just get out there and try some different thing and make note of your times and how it feels to u

Good luck
I have to agree with you on both fronts Roadrash, because what you just told him is definately the opposite of what I would've told someone that wanted more steering. But like you said.....one should try various things until they get something that works for them. How, in the world that, setup would give someone more steering is beyond me but if its works for you man...its allllll good!
Old 05-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Default one way diff.

thanks for the info . I am going to try some diffrent things tires,shocks,ect,ect, find something that works,thanks again
Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Regular

ahh see i never said it gave me more steering over any other setup i just said thats what i use where i curently run my car. i mean more steering than what like u said there are all different things u can change for "more steering" he never posted how hes runnin the car now i assume since hes new to the sceen he doesnt have a 140$ setup station so how could anybody really tell him any one thing to give more steering and so i ended my first post with what you quoted. on a different note i love the front oneway just wish my track was big enough to get some use out of it
Old 05-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Default track set up

the track has tight turns ,two short sraight shoots,mostly s's and hair pin turns, like i said track has low traction. trying to find good traction in turns
Old 05-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Regular

well what im runnin as posted above the car is very stable in the turns i never worry about spinning out but it also is not very fast through them the lot we run in is not preped and has very low traction so i fun it that way to make up for the lack there of id rather go a little slower than spin out in every turn but like i said youll have to give it a try and see how u like it you may come back on here callin me crazy lol u just never know
Old 05-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

I agree as setup is really down to personal driving style and track condition. Sometimes I find the changes I made makes the car handle totally different then what I expected. I think the bottom line is make changes one at a time and find what you like. And ask around to see what other peoples at the track is doing and use it only as a starting point to come up with the setup that suit you.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

well put
Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

Here's that link to car setups that I promised ...although a few days late....sorry

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/clivebail...car%20info.htm

There's some good stuff about a quarter of the way down the page.