Axial.28RR

Old 04-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Axial.28RR

I was wondering if the Axial.28RR was a decent motor for money,since i grenaded mine in my inferno gt2 yesterday.I dont want to go overboard with this car just want to have fun,and keep costs low,like thats going to happen
Old 04-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Thumbs up

+1 on 28RR for the price & performance.
I have it on my Savage, & going to get another one for my DM-1 soon. Awesome top end power. 37,500rpm!!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Tech Rookie

i have an IGT2 corvette that i just couldn't get to run right, so i replaced the engine w/ the axial RR 28 w/ roto start, and the two-speed gears from my IGT1 BMW, and now the car runs forever very strongly, starts easily, and the transmission's second gear is not self destructing. also put on a set of treaded mounted tires from ofna, and a fiber brake pad. the car is way more fun now. but for all the changes i had to do, i should have bought one of the new ofna two-speed cars, w/ the force 28 w/ rotostart and the tires already on the car, and for cheaper!
Old 04-30-2009, 05:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Axial.28RR

Thanks for the info on the engine.I know some guys are kind of particular to the LRP's,or the Picco's,but I just dont want to go overboard.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey jetmech, i have an LRP 28 truggy engine, and it does have "more power", but that engine is more suited for off road. i like the axial engine, and chose it after seeing several of my buddies run them trouble free all season, real world use, and don't forget to set it up w/ rotostart( get axial's backplate). good luck, and keep us posted. ( i would buy another LRP, if i could still get them for $129, i like that german quality) these engine are fun n fast enough, but on the racetrack, i use PX5 21, it is VERY fast
Old 05-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Info

Thanks for the info there Mr fastphil.Who has the backplate and the starter for that?
Old 05-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Rookie

hey jetmech, i had an hpi rotostart, and i got the axial backplate from tower hobbies(this part is eligible for their fast, cheap shipping). i had a couple other backplates in the ole parts bin, but you need the axial backplate. the axial RR engine gave the IGT2 car some real take off torque, and lit the ofna tires up, top end was fast, and you could tell the engine had more beans across a wider powerband. we ran our IGT1 cars almost everyweekend for about a year, using stock engines n servos, only using a 5-cell battery, fiber brake pads(reduces fade and really stops the car), and spectrum radios. having so much fun w/ the first cars, i decided to pick-up the corvette.and using my starter box, i could hardly keep that engine running, even w/ all the tricks we had learned on the first engines, and hi gear was self destructing in seconds. for about $8 bucks, i swaped in the closer ratio gears from the IGT1, they are working fine, and with the axial engine, plenty of top end
Old 05-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Info

Thats cool thanks again for all the info,it was pretty sad I havent had mine for more then a week ,and had it running and had it tuned well a little to much and over reved the stock motor.It was like somthing out of a movie I heard it wined out and hit second gear and then"BooM"and then the screaching haltGlad to hear you like the Axial.How long or how many tanks of fuel did you use to tune it,and did it take awhile?What would you reccomend for fuel and plug?Once again thanks for the info.Pretty bad I can work on jets but this is all new to me.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Tech Rookie

hey jetmech, i use an OS8 plug n 30% fuel. i have two axialRR 28's and both started right away(if they don't, loosen the plug to reduce compression).running a little over idle, at about 1/2 tank the engine started to smooth out n i turned in the HSN a little. at about the end of the second tank, the engine was ready to run, and i put her on the ground and ran her rich n smoking at mid to 3/4 thottle, with an occassional burst to mate and mesh all the engine metals. i didn't worry about the idle till the end of third tank, and had the engine running about 80%. at the end of the fouth tank, engine was running pretty good, and i had her up to about 90%, where i'm leaving it, as this car was flying by me. i can't remember the exact temps, but i remember being pleased with the numbers. this worked for me with this engine. i worked in naval aviation for many years, and have won over 200 A mains, and know you gotta pass on this info.( one more thing, i put on a three shoe clutch, more n better power transfer, stock two shoe with phoney spring wrapped around the clutch breaks regularly, and if it does, just cut and rehook till you replace) keep us posted