Wiki Posts
Search

Tires will not stay on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tires will not stay on wheels

Hello,

I have tried everything I could think of to keep the tires on my wheels. I have an HPI Super Nitro with a motor swap. The last time I went out I had full bead of CA glue on the inside and outside of the wheel. I started driving around and one of the tires was torn off of the rim. What is my next step? Please get back to me as soon as possible. I also had gone to my local hobby shop and they didn't have a solution for me.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maximumhp
Hello,

I have tried everything I could think of to keep the tires on my wheels. I have an HPI Super Nitro with a motor swap. The last time I went out I had full bead of CA glue on the inside and outside of the wheel. I started driving around and one of the tires was torn off of the rim. What is my next step? Please get back to me as soon as possible. I also had gone to my local hobby shop and they didn't have a solution for me.
First clean the rubber tire with some alcohol or electric motor spray.

Second file the wheel a little bit were the tire gets glued to the wheel (Help give the glue something to stick to) After filing the wheel then clean with whatever you used to clean the tires with.

Third put the rubber tire on the wheel and glue.

Also when gluing the tire use a rubber band around the tire on the side you are gluing to help keep the tire in the groove in the wheel.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Rookie

I was thinking about getting some beadlock wheels. They make them 2.2 inches with a 12mm lug, I just don't know if you can put street tires on beadlock rims. Anybody ever tried it?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I would use foam tyres. They wont fall off and your car would probably handle better aswell
Old 04-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

what type of CA are are you using...Are you using Chrome wheels?..
Old 04-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by fastharry™
what type of CA are are you using...Are you using Chrome wheels?..
I can't recall what CA glue I am using. It has been some time since I actually drove the car. I got frustrated with not being able to keep tires on it. I have two sets of wheels. The factory HPI five spoke plastic wheels (non chrome)and a set of aftermarket billet wheels. The tires don't stick to either of them.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by freestyles
I would use foam tyres. They wont fall off and your car would probably handle better aswell
How long would a set of foam tires last on the street? I have never used them nor read about them and their performance.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Throw the rubber wheels in the bin and get a set of foams. You will never look back again.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maximumhp
I can't recall what CA glue I am using. It has been some time since I actually drove the car. I got frustrated with not being able to keep tires on it. I have two sets of wheels. The factory HPI five spoke plastic wheels (non chrome)and a set of aftermarket billet wheels. The tires don't stick to either of them.

Hi Max.....

I have raced Super Nitro's for 11 years, and still have 3 of them....So, take what I say with a grain of salt..LOL...

Super nitro wheels and tires can sometimes become loose. I don't think there is alot of contact area on the tire, and with the tires flexing more as they are larger, and weighing more, they tend to want to pull off the rim while racing....also, the wheels are larger, so they tend to take more abuse when rolling over, and hitting boards....all this contributes to the tires breaking a section of bead, and then the ballgame is over...

So here's what you have to do....

Get LOSI CA tire glue, med thickness.....LOSI is the best when it comes to sticking. Make sure it is fresh, look at the date code on the back...

Once you open it, refrigerate it....Says it right on the bottle...

btw, before I go on, are you mounting new tires again with new wheels, or using the old ones?...
Old 04-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by fastharry™
Hi Max.....

btw, before I go on, are you mounting new tires again with new wheels, or using the old ones?...

I will get new wheels and tires but one of my original questions is still in the air. Would it make sense to get beadlock wheels for this car. I have found some that are the same diameter, same hex, and almost the exact same width as original wheels. Is it worth the money to try another direction because glueing has not worked up to this point?
Old 04-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default I don't think they have beadlock tires for 1/10 TC

I'm not sure but I've never seen bead-lock wheels for 1/10 or RS4 Supers. Most bead-lock wheels are for off-road trucks.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Kyo83
I'm not sure but I've never seen bead-lock wheels for 1/10 or RS4 Supers. Most bead-lock wheels are for off-road trucks.
I actually ordered a set of beadlocks the other day. They are 2.2 inches like a super nitro wheel. They are almost the same width as super nitro wheels. They use the 12mm hex like a super nitro. The tires I am going to use are four on-road rear tires from a buggy. I figured if the wheels are a little to wide I will get widening hexes to move them out a little bit. It should work fine. I will update when the setup is complete.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Tech Rookie

maybe you need new tires