R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default iPhone/iTouch application ideas for R/C

Hi all,

I'm a software developer by profession and I've raced RC cars for a few years now. There have been a number of times that I've wished there were an RC application for the iPhone to do this or do that.

I'd like to develop a few applications for the iPhone specifically for RC and I was hoping to get input from you.

One of the main apps I'd like to see is one for setups and I just made a post about that idea here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...eed-ideas.html

For the nitro crowd (and I'm a nitro racer) I've always wanted an app that could help me with pit stop timing.

Imagine I've got a 30 minute race and want to pit every 6.5 minutes. I enter this information and select some music to play. I pop one earbud in. I might start the timer by shaking the iPhone 5 seconds before the race starts.

During the race I get to listen to my music. Occasionally the music fades out and I hear a voice that says "4 minutes left before pit". 15 seconds before the pit it reminds me again and vibrates a bunch.

Maybe you set an option for whether it should just assume you pit whenever it tells you (and how long to assume your pit takes) or you pull your iPhone out and shake it briefly to reset the pit timer.

Then you're back to your music, etc.

Can you give me input on such an application? Would you buy it from the Application Store if it were available? Do you have other things you'd like to see on the iPhone that are RC-specific?

If I get some feedback and interest I'll get started.
Arboleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Tech Regular

this is some good thinking but personaly i dont listen to music and drive my rc, cause you need 100% of your concentration. also there should be another ignition of the timer, something like once the 6.3 min have past the counter is set to zero again, and then it starts again when your pitman calls to your iphone, i dont know if that is feasinble or not its just a crazy idea though...
nice thinking anyway
Old 04-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Yeah, music is definitely a personal preference. I like to have one earbud in with some background music but I don't wear both earbuds otherwise I wouldn't hear the announcer, etc.

Thanks for the idea on the pit guy, keep 'em coming!

It's actually possible to have an app running on the driver's phone and the pitman's phone that are in communication with each other and this opens all sorts of possibilities, maybe even including one-way voice messages from the pit guy to the driver, etc. Then again, I guess at that point you'd just maintain a phone call with each other!

Last edited by Arboleda; 04-07-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to PMSorber

Make a connection with mylaps for spoken laptimes. Log in with WiFi or any wireles network and have instant information about laptimes.

An application with laptime analyses is also prefered.
PMSorber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
Tech Regular

I agree, laptime integration would be great!

Tell me more about what you mean by lap-time analysis?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

how about gear ratios and a roll out calculator.

any chance of making an app for the Blackberry storm at the same time? just askin.
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Regarding gearing and rollouts, I'm actually leaning towards doing an application for that before anything else.

Unfortunately the blackberry is a completely different platform. I wouldn't rule it out but I'd have to write it a second time to that platform. I'll keep that in mind as a possibility.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

How about a really good tire caculator, so you can set your car for the qualifiers and the mains.
Or maybe a good lap timer so your pit person can know what kind of lap times that you are doing, and possibly do the mains as well.
scotty gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have this software for Windows based OS and I am pretty sure it will be a lot of guys who wants to have it woking on IPhone, not sure about IToch, will need mic engine and mic attachment. It is audio tachometer. I've used many times, but it has required to cary laptop and it is damn heavy (my is Dell Precision M90).
As it is right now is for control line speed FAI airplanes, but it is not dificult to put other equatation with variables, let's say, full gear ratio of the car, tires roll out and have real speed at given moment. With variables which can be set on screen with GUI.
It shouldn't be hard to set up this app.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here is another usefull tool for engine guys http://www.palmarisracing.com/Timing_Calculator.htm
I have source code for it
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arboleda View Post
Hi all,

I'm a software developer by profession and I've raced RC cars for a few years now. There have been a number of times that I've wished there were an RC application for the iPhone to do this or do that.

I'd like to develop a few applications for the iPhone specifically for RC and I was hoping to get input from you.

One of the main apps I'd like to see is one for setups and I just made a post about that idea here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...eed-ideas.html

For the nitro crowd (and I'm a nitro racer) I've always wanted an app that could help me with pit stop timing.

Imagine I've got a 30 minute race and want to pit every 6.5 minutes. I enter this information and select some music to play. I pop one earbud in. I might start the timer by shaking the iPhone 5 seconds before the race starts.

During the race I get to listen to my music. Occasionally the music fades out and I hear a voice that says "4 minutes left before pit". 15 seconds before the pit it reminds me again and vibrates a bunch.

Maybe you set an option for whether it should just assume you pit whenever it tells you (and how long to assume your pit takes) or you pull your iPhone out and shake it briefly to reset the pit timer.

Then you're back to your music, etc.

Can you give me input on such an application? Would you buy it from the Application Store if it were available? Do you have other things you'd like to see on the iPhone that are RC-specific?

If I get some feedback and interest I'll get started.

RC Timer app would be great for those of use who listen to music while racing or practicing at the track. I have a 60min timer, where I pick my songs, bunch the music into one continuous song, and then go into the song and time stamp every 30secs with my voice. It is time consuming, but thank goodness I only do it once maybe twice a year.

If you can design an app which can countdown and play select songs or a specific playlist.
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:20 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to PMSorber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arboleda View Post
I agree, laptime integration would be great!

Tell me more about what you mean by lap-time analysis?
The most important item (in my view) is the spoken laptime part. Drivers will be able to hear their laptimes instantly after passing the "line". Then they will be able to determine if they are on plan for an improvement or if everything is running well.

A second part would be to divert this information in a "graph" to see their performance during a race, providing information about:
  • Average laptime
  • Max and min laptime
  • Section times
  • Average speed
  • Be able to compare with other drivers
PMSorber is offline   Reply With Quote