Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Smile

in a long main yes you're right.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: 16/19 conversion

Originally posted by InitialD
You forgot to include the most important information... You need to use a 4 mm split. Front tires need to be 4 mm smaller than rear tires.
I'm confused.... if the idea of the 16/19 conversion is to eliminate the rear over drive and make the front and rear to spin at the same speed, why do you need to run a smaller tire??
Old 12-06-2003, 01:12 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: 16/19 conversion

Originally posted by evlhdlts
with the car being stock and assuming you're running foam tires, you'll notice that the rear tires wear so much faster than the front tires than normal. by changing the pulleys of the side belt to 19t on the front and 16t in the rear you'll wear the tires evenly. and the car handles great too.

you have to buy the pulley set for mtx-3 to do the conversion and also the 16/19 conversion side belt because once you change the pulleys to 16/19, the stock belt won't fit anymore.
Aaaaaah ... thats all to it. Well, my LHS sells foams in sets of 3s. Now with even wear then I will have to ask him to sell in sets of even numbers! Hahahahaaa ... I think I can live with the current pulleys.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:28 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: 16/19 conversion

Originally posted by over gear
I'm confused.... if the idea of the 16/19 conversion is to eliminate the rear over drive and make the front and rear to spin at the same speed, why do you need to run a smaller tire??
The 16/19 conversion does not eliminate rear overdrive. Front overdrive rather.

By default, using 16/19 conversion makes the front wheels rotate at a higher rate than the rear. Hence if you use same front and rear tires, you get front overdrive i.e. front pulling the rear. Front tire rollout is bigger than rear. Sometimes this is desireable on certain tracks but sometimes not.

Therefore to make the front tire rollout the same as the rear tire rollout (i.e. 1:1 overdrive), the front tire needs to be smaller.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:42 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: 16/19 conversion

Originally posted by tIANcI
Aaaaaah ... thats all to it. Well, my LHS sells foams in sets of 3s. Now with even wear then I will have to ask him to sell in sets of even numbers! Hahahahaaa ... I think I can live with the current pulleys.
The 16/19 pulley conversion does not just give you equal front and rear wear. Firstly, it gives you the choice of running big tires in the rear to attain sufficient tire rollout to achieve a certain top speed while being able to run smaller tires in front.

Smaller front tires gives you better steering because smaller front tires let the front part sit lower and the car transitions better left to right. Smaller front tires also eliminate traction roll.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:43 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: 16/19 conversion

The 16/19 pulley conversion does not just give you equal front and rear wear. Firstly, it gives you the choice of running big tires in the rear to attain sufficient tire rollout to achieve a certain top speed while being able to run smaller tires in front.

Smaller front tires gives you better steering because smaller front tires let the front part sit lower and the car transitions better left to right. Smaller front tires also eliminate traction roll.
OIC
Old 12-06-2003, 05:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So the rear wearing down is fixed by running the 16/19 setup but in turn you still lose foam due to having to run the front 4mm smaller. I understand the performance difference but I doubt its a good selling point to some people who would rather not purchase a tire truer, or lose foam before the car hits the ground.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:43 AM
Tech Adept

erm... can anyone pls tell me what exactly does a negative diff do and how does it work. also what are the advantages and disadvantages of using one?
Old 12-06-2003, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by kreidel
So the rear wearing down is fixed by running the 16/19 setup but in turn you still lose foam due to having to run the front 4mm smaller. I understand the performance difference but I doubt its a good selling point to some people who would rather not purchase a tire truer, or lose foam before the car hits the ground.
You win some you loose some ... for me its a hobby, just have fun.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:38 AM
Tech Prophet

You win some you loose some ... for me its a hobby, just have fun.
Trust me, a lot will agree that you'll have more fun when you discover things like this that will improve driving and handling of the car.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trust me, a lot will agree that you'll have more fun when you discover things like this that will improve driving and handling of the car.
What fun are we talking about when you have to true the tires to make it work, also none of the Mugen drivers are really using it at all whilst they kick ass ...
Old 12-06-2003, 09:27 AM
Tech Prophet

What fun are we talking about when you have to true the tires to make it work, also none of the Mugen drivers are really using it at all whilst they kick ass ...
I agree with what you say but I think you should refer to the MTX-3 thread first before you make a sweeping statement like none of the Mugen drivers are using it...
Old 12-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by kino2
erm... can anyone pls tell me what exactly does a negative diff do and how does it work. also what are the advantages and disadvantages of using one?
At low speeds, it works like a regular gear diff. At high speeds it locks and works like a solid axle.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

I use it, and I can be VERY competitive and still have fun. Like everything else dealing with these cars, it's all personal preference. What works for some may not work for others. Truing tires is not a big deal (for me anyway), because I have to true my MRX-3 tires regardless. What's a few pair of TC tires? Another 10 minutes? I realize some people have a problem with taking rubber off brand new tires, but in the long run, you actually get more run time out of them provided your car is properly setup and you stay off the boards. JMHO.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Wink

true that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.