R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-25-2009, 06:20 AM   #31
Tech Rookie

I also had a chance to run my kart yesterday. I got through 5 tanks. I noticed the same clutch characteristics as eNitro. If I lower the idle enough to where the clutch doesn't engage, it stalls out. It seems the clutch is engaging at too low of RPM. I'm hoping after a few more tanks it will get sorted out. Also noticing the oversteer in right turns due to the right side of the kart being heavy. Thinking of maybe adding some weights on the left side to compensate for this a bit if possible.

My kart is down after the 5th tank. It seems something such as a small pebble lodged in the belt drive and now my pulley is stripped. Time to get the LHS to order in a new one. I'm hoping I maybe they'll have something from their parts bins that may work from a nitro sedan or something but I doubt it. One of the downside to "unique" r/c stuff. The parts aren't usually readily available at the LHS.

Hopefully there will be upgrade parts available for this soon. I could see brakes and the belt drive system as two needed upgrades. The belt drive seems to need stronger pulleys.

Other than the drive system issue and the oversteer to the right / understeer to the left, this thing is a hoot! My neighbor and his brother who are also into r/c are going to the LHS to order them. They saw mine running in our culdesac and that was that. Hopefully we can get some parking lot races going here.
guinnessrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #32
Tech Initiate

guinessrules,

It took about the 9th or 10th tank for my kart's clutch to engage properly, so by that time, your kart's clutch problem will probably get better, or even resolved. However, even on the lowest idle RPM, the rear wheels spin when aloft, but the kart is stationary when placed on a tar surface.

If you can get it right, please tell me what you did.

I also thought of counterbalancing the left side but considered the weight issue, so I am going to leave it stock because I don't want a heavy, sluggish take off, plus, it's already slower than any nitro sedan on the market.

As for spare parts, does anyone know where to get replacement front and rear wheels/slicks in the US?

This kart has been marketed by Kyosho since October, I got it in March and still replacement parts aren't readily available. I don't think Kyosho is on the ball with this kart.

Thank you.
eNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:02 AM   #33
Tech Initiate

OK,

Fired up another 3 tanks of 20% yesterday on a windy, cold 17C 1020hPa day.

Leaned the HSN incrementally up to one third turns & pinched the fuel line for LSN adjustment and gave it more firmer stopping power.

Lengthened the tie rods to give a little toe out, but not as much as stock configuration because the kart's cornering is already too aggressive, and I want to limit that.

This increased the top speed and high-end performance to the point where now, both left and right will over steer (but much more so RHT) with a moderate turn after a stand still acceleration on the asphalt/tar surface, but happy to say the kart doesn't experience any chassis buffeting on a WOT straight.

Is this kart popular in the US and in the EU?

Anyone else care to share their stories?

Thank you.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #34
Tech Initiate

Alright,

Looks like I'm the only interested in this kart.

In a world of billions, saved for those living in the deepest jungles who have no access to nitro fuel, life can be lonely for one man and his kart - it feels like I'm talking to myself.

In under 20 tanks, the parts least expected to wear out first, wore out:

The plastic middle shaft spindle rim disintegrated allowing the drive belt to grind and wear out on one side exposing threads and the drive belt cover melted.

Now I know which parts are the weakest. If Kyosho or any other aftermarket company makes an aluminum option, then this simple problem will be solved.

Original front and rear tires - only slightly worn but still usable.

And this is only through regular sports driving around an asphalt sport field WOT for not more than 4 second bursts. Makes me wonder how the professionals do it in competition racing their 1:10 sedans. They must go through a whole shop's supply of spares in one hit.

A little disappointed considering this is my first nitro chassis, but glad to say I can still be in the action, as I've just taken delivery of a second kart, but I don't see the spindle lasting long.

Come on Kyosho and other smart entrepreneurs, where are the upgrade parts advertised and promised? It's May 2009 already!

Thank you.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

"Alright,

Looks like I'm the only interested in this kart.

In a world of billions, saved for those living in the deepest jungles who have no access to nitro fuel, life can be lonely for one man and his kart - it feels like I'm talking to myself."

i would get one, but i have the REAL THING(thats where all my money goes....)
and you can go WOT in it for as long as you like, until a corner shows up
total3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #36
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ok just found the time now to give out a few updates on my kart....been very busy at work.

"eNitro"....i had the same clutch problems as you but all is good now. i guess the clutch on this thing also needs breaking-in to. im pleased with how stable and easy to tune the engine on this thing is. not on the high speed....but heck the kart cant even handle the power of the engine right now...why put a more powerfull engine. yes it would spin out easy when you're hard on the throttle....nothing that a littlle expo on my radio can't fix. BTW..im using my 3PK radio for this kart.

this past weekend i was ablt to run the kart on our local track here. i would say that the car is pretty stable and handles ok. but keep in mind though that im using a different radio for it. so i was able to really fine tune the responsiveness of the steering and throttle. i also used some tire compound during the first few runs but then stopped using it as the kart started hooking up really good. i guess the way i drive is i use a little bit of drift when entering a corner. and i think that the extra grip came from the nitro fuel coming out of the exhaust of all the cars that were there.

for what it is and how much it is worth....i would say that it is a really fun car to bash around with. get a few of your buddies dive one and it will a lot of fun. it might not be on the high performance side.....but this thing really looks cool going around the track. i hope that Kyosho comes out with a few upgrades for the car like brakes, better tires, 2 speed, springs for the rear T-plate.
jun_1.8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #37
Tech Initiate

Hi total3d,

Would really love to see some pics of your ride if you can. I'm keen for eye candy. I love everything about the kart, full scale and scaled.

Hey jun, glad to read the OP's back in town.

Yeps, I just got a brand spanking new DX3R and was thinking adding expo on the steering. Will let you all know once the new radio systems' dialed in.

I agree this kart's a fun chassis, the more I drive it, the more I appreciate it.

Well, tonight if I have all the "essential" choirs done according to the spouse, I just might be able to squeeze some repair and parts replacement time to the drive train on my first kart and be ready for Saturday sessions on my local sport field tarmac.

BTW, she's on the opposite end of the kart 'love' spectrum. Oh well, less love for her and more love for my kart...

As for the rear tires, they're made of a different compound compared to the fronts, but once all tires are worn in (say about 20 tanks), they all feel the same and the rears have as much grip and traction as the fronts, if not more.

I heard a rumor that the F103 foamies are an exact fit to the rear and grip better than stock. Haven't tried it yet.

I too am waiting for Kyosho and aftermarket upgrades, hop ups or 'bling' for the kart, but I won't hold my breath.

Thank you.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #38
Tech Initiate

OK, it's the lone guy and his kart again.

Got some things to report:

After getting the second kart to relocate the new middle shaft spindle over to the running kart, I noticed the spindle and spindle side wall are not glued together - but is called for in the maintenance manual.

I strongly suspect it is due the factory assembly missing this step that caused the earlier spindle failure on my kart. So for all of you who have this kart, you might want to check the spindle assembly as it could save you getting a new one, as well as a new drive belt too early into your hobby.

About the 20th or so tank, the inside edge of the RHS front tire gives way and shears from the rubber side wall. I've never seen a tire wear out in such an uneven way and I think it's because this kart is predominantly right side heavy.

It won't be long before the RHS rear tire wears way in the same manner.

Rotating the tires from L to R is a temporary solution before getting a new set. Another is to raise the center portion of the tire with inserts, but I haven't tried it yet.

Both LHS front and rear tires don't wear in the same way.

BTW, the SR3100 is working flawlessly in the kart.

Thank you.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #39
Tech Initiate

Another thing I forgot to mention is that the receiver is merely sitting inside the plastic rx box without any vibration insulation like a foamie double side tape (like the ones used for gyro vibration dampening in helis) - but again, called for in the maintenance manual.

So for all of you who have this kart, your onboard electrics might be unwittingly bouncing around in there.

Not quite RTR Kyosho!

Thank you.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #40
mok
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mok Send a message via Skype™ to mok

ok, i too have one of these now thanks to a generous boss...
am looking forward to running this kart, am already in love with the looks of it

+1 kart owner in Perth Australia :P
Old 06-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello everyone, I am trying some stuff on the rear end of the kart today at my track and it only cost about $7.00 and about 45 min do to. Also I am have some rear hubs being made for new foam tires I have and hope to have those finished in about a month, they are going to be trick, I will have picture as soon as I can. I keep updated. The kart is awesome but for the rear end traction, but I am working on it.
Billy
YLLIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:37 AM   #42
Tech Initiate

OK, it's the lone guy and his kart again.

After a month and a week this thread is still going at snail pace - just a little slower than my kart

Alright, I've also hit the workshop and made a couple of worthy mods:

Ported the manifold - the GZ15 definitely needs all the help it can get.

The pressure line slips off too easily on the tank side, so I shaved off the pressure nipple on the tank inlet, bored out the plastic tank burrs, slightly enlarged the hole and replaced with a short length of the leftover antenna tube (since I am using 2.4 gHz, don't need the long tube) and CA glued it in place. Now the pressure line holds in place on the antenna tube very tightly & securely.

After burning two crappy, useless & pathetic excuse for a Kyosho mid shaft pulley (any of you folks gone past 20 tanks will probably know what I mean) I opted for an aluminum version. Still 20 tooth much much more durable.

The original brass bushing on the belt tensioner has been replaced with a set of sealed Japanese ball bearings and the roll is as smooth as silk.

Seems the rear end grip is the karts main vice, so I got some Dura Trax rubber & Tamiya spongee tires of similar dimensions - will mod the wheels to accommodate them and test them out for rear end grip.

Thank you.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:21 AM   #43
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

the karts rear end dynamics are out of whack because of the balance.
in a full size kart, with the engine on the RHS, the drivers seat position is crucial to obtain perfect balance. we spend months getting the seat perfect from factory settings. after this, the drivers body weight balances out the RHS weight, which is why full size karts handle soo well, and have no uneven tyre wear.
if your see my kart, i have lead weights on the LHS of my seat, to balance the engine and so that i comply with the weight reg's.

problem with the kyosho, is that the engine is on the RHS, and the driver+seat is there for show, and provide no balancing, or weight.
so its RHS heavy. adding LHS weights may fix the problem. or custom making some solid tyres. and unfortunately you cant make rear track adjustments with the kyosho(which helps setup).

enitro, a pic of my full size kart can be found here:
www.rentcorpmotorsport.webs.com
total3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #44
Tech Initiate

Hi total3d, thanks for the really nice pics. I see where you're coming at.

If only Kyosho & Birel seriously put their heads together during the drawing stage and not just discuss about how much they can put into their bank accounts, then there's probably a good chance the kart's dynamics can be modeled after a full sized one and reflect more of the real world.

It's odd how a brand-name company still can't get the rear end right after the third attempt. Seems, their R&D department and their QC head guru has gone on a three decade holiday.

As for workbenching this chassis - there's definitely a lot of room for improvement.

Thank you.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:25 AM   #45
Tech Initiate

Default foamie rear end

OK, it's me again...

If anyone else is interested, a pair of green foamie rear tires/rims arrived.

Dimension wise - same diameter, only a millimeter less in width than the stock tires and 2mm less in diameter than a F103 spongee with same width.

As for the hex axle hub attachment - it has a better and firmer fit than a stock Kyosho wheel, but I'll have to furnish my own 14 x 4 x 3mm hub offset as the foamie hex is too deep for the kart.

Will test these foamies out to see any rear end improvement during my next tarmac session.

Thank you.