R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

Hi nitrodude, yes I have that suspicion that it was bad.

As I let the excess oil drip out of the pipe, I can see a pool of clear oil with small drops of orange oil. That looks wierd like the individual oil compounds are separating. Oil that dripped from my TT engines have a consistent texture.

I am not a member of any racing club, so can someone please tell me how and where to dispose of the old fuel?

I am not sure if the fuel is earth-friendly and I am aware of environmental issues and I don't want to dump it down a domestic drain.

OK I am going to go to the LHS to get some new 20%.

Thank you.
eNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #17
Tech Initiate

Hi gmp,

Is your kart stock using the GZ15? Also, is your brake disk glued on or just sitting loose on the rotor disk retainer? Mine is loose. Sorry to hear about it melting.

Thank you.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RevMaxx

saw this ran on a track... actually, i saw 4 of these running together on a track. they really looked fun to watch.
but i have to say their speed is a bit slow than i would have expected, my reference was that they were running side to side with 1/10 sedan nitro
but hey..., as long as you're having fun, who needs speed???
RevMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #19
Tech Initiate

OK,

I don't want other members to read like I am taking over the OP's thread, but he's not back to make it active, and also, I can't find any other thread here and elsewhere to follow, so here goes:

During the time I fix the idle problem with the help of others, I took it for another spin. This time, in a covered parking lot underneath my apartment (so that my sunburnt back can recover - the smartest choice I made today).

I took it out in an attempt to repeat what I did yesterday and was rewarded with a non-recalcitrant Kyosho racing kart.

The parking lot can accommodate 250 cars so it's pretty big. Surface is smooth concrete and I throttled it on a long stretch of about, say 60 meters.

I noticed that it's take off tendency is reminiscent of past generation Kyosho karts - it's inherently unstable especially in the hands of an inexperienced driver - my hands.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the tendency to fish tail is due to the karts design. It is right-side heavy - considering it holds the engine, full starter, header, a fueled tank, spur gears, flywheel, throttle connections, brake, drive belt, middle shaft, you get the picture.

But on the left side only the rx and rx battery and the plastic reinforced pipe. It will go even lighter once I install a 2.4gHz rx and lipo battery.

So even when it's stationary, it's COG is favoring the RHS.

Call me naive and inexperienced, but shouldn't car manufacturers try their best to make a car as balanced laterally and longitudinally as possible? What's wrong with putting the tank on the LHS, not to a scale Birel?

Alright! Take off tendency: it veers to the RHS requiring lightning fast correction. So how do the professional's do it right?

Check: steering linkages are measured straight and during light throttle, the kart rolls straight, so no problem directional-wise. When I took it out of the box, the front wheels were way out in toe so had to be adjusted and I also put in a little toe-in for increased frontal stability.

With the kart's dynamic characteristics and driving environment, I dared not go WOT in the parking lot. Even at moderate throttle, it takes about 16 feet to decelerate to a safe turning circle. So I couldn't properly adjust the HSN this time round.

Not sure about rear wheel traction on tarmac or tarred surfaces, but in the parking area, it was very slippery and burning donuts were effortless, even an infant could do it eyes closed (but not recommended by me).

My question is: Do all club tracks have a sugar water coated surface for on-road vehicles?

Thank you.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:04 AM   #20
Tech Regular

THe Kyosho kart is not designed for all out racing like other 1/10 sedans. Its more for looks and scale feeling. You are fish tailing because of the surface of parking lot and the rear tires just can't get enough grip. I don't know what size or what kind of tyres are available for your kart, but go with the softest one for the rears and a bit harder for the fronts. Also use softer spring in back and harder up front. These are just general guidelines.

The NTI, 720, RRR and MTX4 are top 1/10 racing sedans and are meant to be raced on prepped tracks with moderate to high traction. The average parking lot do not have traction and dusty. It takes super soft tires and right suspension setup and balance to get these 1/10 sedans to be managable on upprepped parking lots.

Good luck buddy!
Old 04-09-2009, 05:40 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNitro View Post
fastharry like I said, I am using a different container from the original bottle.

If it's any indication it's orange in color that I bought about 3 or 4 years ago. I know it's not much to go with.

Do you think the fuel has past its shelf life? It's still quite potent. Sorry to sound naive, but I am not an experienced racer.

OK I got an idea. I am going to email the LHS that I bought it from and hopefully they can help in identifying and shedding some light to what fuel oil content I am using.

Again, thanks alot for your continuing help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
If you bought the fuel 3 or 4 years ago, you need to buy new fuel. Fuel does go bad.

First thing, you need new fuel.......

get a fuel with 20% nitro, and no more than 1O to 12 % oil content...I have been running 8% oil content oil, and my motors ( even stock kyosho motors) last a long time.....Too much oil, PIA to tune....

get a brand name, and if thay have Maxys, get that....

Wipe the tires down with Simple Green Lemon after each use....

Let me know how the brakes are working before I help you tune it....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #22
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry™ View Post

get a fuel with 20% nitro, and no more than 1O to 12 % oil content...I have been running 8% oil content oil, and my motors ( even stock kyosho motors) last a long time.....Too much oil, PIA to tune....

I agree with FastHarry 100%. Get yourself some crispy clean Maxy's Fuel. My son runs it as well with his RTR Kyosho .15. I added a .10 shim to the underhaed so we could play it safe with 25%. You will notice the difference immediately. Just make sure it blows smoke for about 10 feet after initial acceleration for proper lubrication.
PT RC Racing Oils
Paulie Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:40 AM   #23
Tech Rookie

I had my LHS order one of these in for me. I just picked it up yesterday. This thing is crazy. It looks just like the real thing! I'm certainly impressed by the detail and scale accuracy. My only concern is the brake. It's just a fiberglass disc with a very small metal tab and "caliper". I don't see that lasting long. I hope somebody comes out with a brake upgrade. Other than that it looks solid.

Now I just need to break it in as soon as I "break" the news to the wife that I got yet another r/c. She's pretty cool about this stuff, but I just did get a HPI Baja 5T (the 5B was lonely ) and a 5' gas boat LOL.

As for fuel, get fresh as others have stated. Nitro fuel goes bad easily within a year. It also sucks in moisture like a sponge.
guinnessrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #24
Tech Regular

yes, I am using the stock motor. The brake dish is not glued, it is just loose on the retainer. Because I run it on a small parking lot track which we need all the brakes I can get with the solid rear axia and the limited steering travel. I am thinking of mounting the steering servo directly on the chassis which I hope to solve the steering issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNitro View Post
Hi gmp,

Is your kart stock using the GZ15? Also, is your brake disk glued on or just sitting loose on the rotor disk retainer? Mine is loose. Sorry to hear about it melting.

Thank you.
gpm-parts.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:26 AM   #25
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnitro View Post
THe Kyosho kart is not designed for all out racing like other 1/10 sedans. Its more for looks and scale feeling. You are fish tailing because of the surface of parking lot and the rear tires just can't get enough grip. I don't know what size or what kind of tyres are available for your kart, but go with the softest one for the rears and a bit harder for the fronts. Also use softer spring in back and harder up front. These are just general guidelines.

The NTI, 720, RRR and MTX4 are top 1/10 racing sedans and are meant to be raced on prepped tracks with moderate to high traction. The average parking lot do not have traction and dusty. It takes super soft tires and right suspension setup and balance to get these 1/10 sedans to be managable on upprepped parking lots.

Good luck buddy!

Hi dnitro,

You're right about scale feel and its speed. Currently there's no aftermarket soft tires yet, but it's sure needed even on tarmac when it becomes available, so I'll just have to stick with the stock and there aren't any provisions for front springs - keeping it to scale.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:35 AM   #26
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry™ View Post

Hi fastharry,

Getting back to the email from the LHS - was a miss. Without the original bottle, they couldn't figure out what type of fuel I was using, let alone the oil percentage. So the obvious and best solution is to get fresh fuel.

Couldn't find any leads to Maxy's fuel in Australia, so I'd say I can't get it, but I am going for Cooper's blend here and hope it's as good as Maxy's.

Thank you.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:39 AM   #27
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Bee View Post
I agree with FastHarry 100%. Get yourself some crispy clean Maxy's Fuel. My son runs it as well with his RTR Kyosho .15. I added a .10 shim to the underhaed so we could play it safe with 25%. You will notice the difference immediately. Just make sure it blows smoke for about 10 feet after initial acceleration for proper lubrication.
Hi Paulie Bee,

Smoking ten feet - I'll take that onboard!

Thank you.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:50 AM   #28
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessrules View Post
I had my LHS order one of these in for me. I just picked it up yesterday. This thing is crazy. It looks just like the real thing! I'm certainly impressed by the detail and scale accuracy. My only concern is the brake. It's just a fiberglass disc with a very small metal tab and "caliper". I don't see that lasting long. I hope somebody comes out with a brake upgrade. Other than that it looks solid.

Now I just need to break it in as soon as I "break" the news to the wife that I got yet another r/c. She's pretty cool about this stuff, but I just did get a HPI Baja 5T (the 5B was lonely ) and a 5' gas boat LOL.

As for fuel, get fresh as others have stated. Nitro fuel goes bad easily within a year. It also sucks in moisture like a sponge.

Hi guinessrules,

You're right about the brake's efficiency - as I found out myself, not very much. And yes, fresh Coopers blend is on its way.

Thank you.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:54 AM   #29
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpm-parts.com View Post
yes, I am using the stock motor. The brake dish is not glued, it is just loose on the retainer. Because I run it on a small parking lot track which we need all the brakes I can get with the solid rear axia and the limited steering travel. I am thinking of mounting the steering servo directly on the chassis which I hope to solve the steering issue.
Hi gpm,

If you're using the KT-6 tx, did you adjust the steering D/R knob on top of the power switch to get greater steer travel?

Thank you.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:43 AM   #30
Tech Initiate

OK,

After a 3 week hiatus, I got back in the game (am I the only one still interested in the Kyosho kart?).

I took it to an outdoor sports field today - tarred surface - ambient conditions were sunny, warm 21C and pressure about 1000 hPa.

Filled the tank, primed it 2 shots, manually opened the carburetor another mm more than recommended in the manual and just like before, the GZ15 fired up compliantly. By the way, I haven't touched my LS and HS needles since the last time I fired it up, but turned the idle stop screw in about 1/8.

Expecting my earlier clutch and idle problem to surface, I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't, even though I increased the idle speed a little. Don't know the reason why it was 'fixed' but I can only guess that this kart requires a few tanks for the clutch shoes to rub in and work properly.

Now, I am glad to say that my kart is behaving nicely at idle setting and doesn't have any tendency for the clutch to engage early, and I can maintain this repeatedly through many tanks.

To fastharry, I'll keep you and the others posted if the idle problem occurs again - a big thank you to all of you, my idle problem has somewhat disappeared by itself.

Alright, to the drive characteristics:

On the tarred surface, rear wheels have enough traction even on accelerating in a turn from a stand-still - so fish tailing is isolated to a smooth concrete surface.

However, as expected due to the off balance CG, the kart has a tendency to over steer and spin around to the right at full throttle but capable of following through a full turning circle to the left at WOT - both turns on tar.

On the eleventh tank since break-in, still in the process of leaning the HSN incrementally on a WOT straight, and running relatively rich for today's ambient conditions - light smoke trail for a 75 meter unbroken straight WOT run.

For my next session, I am going to adjust for firmer braking, confirm correct LSN setting by the pinching method and continue leaning the HSN until it reaches optimal HS performance.

Overall, not a bad day, had great fun and I learned to tame its rear end.

For anyone else having fun with their kart, I want to hear your story too.

Thank you.