R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-04-2002, 03:41 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default tires rubber or foam

what kind of tires do you all run that sticks well to the pavement, foam sets and rubber sets on what size rim.
carpet_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 04:09 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Hey carpet_killa

It depends on your driving style. How you take the turns. Do you like the rear end to swing around under power or off power slightly??? Do you brake hard or soft when entering the turns, and how do you like to begin the exit of the turn???

Foam will grip better, once you get into setting up the car, and knowing what temp the track is at. But it'll wear faster, and chunk if your all over the place or the track isn't smooth and clean... Depending on the speed of the track and how badly you chunk the tire, you might have to toss that tire. The weight reduction and out of roundness can cause your car to go all over the place.

It also depends how much you want to spend??? Rubber last longer at least for me(about twice as long).

I've got a GT4R that I'm going to run Rubber on for practice, then for races it'll be foam. The way I'm going to do it , is have two complete setups for the front and rear, that way all I have to do is remove the hinge pins and pin-up the other setup, and I'm dialed.

Keep the Rubber(or Foam)on the Road!!!

Bradley J. Gotori
[email protected]
bgotori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 08:46 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

Setups for foams are much easier than rubber. It made the competition here much closer, cars that were being lapped started running closer to the leader. Foam chunking can be slow way down by just doing a couple little tricks to them, like applying a little glue to side wall, but if you chunk a foam they are junk. Most tracks I go to about 3 different compounds is all that is neded, not like rubber where you have to worry about the right compound and the right insert. I went to a track one time and had abount 10 sets of rubber with different inserts and nothing worked, A local racer there gave me a used set of foams and the car stuck like glue, so that sold me on foams. I get at least 3 times the use out of foams verus rubber, but I'm sure the good wear is do to the type of asphault I race on if it was real rough I could see it eating the foams up quicker than rubber. I also like the idea of being able to cut the foams for stagger and camber. The start up cost for foams is higher but worth it I think. Hell I sold all my rubber tires I carry with me for enough money to by a truer. I use mostly Jaco purple and db. purple 28mm, and CRC Track magnets 28mm front , 30 mm rear, trued to 61mm frt. and 62 mm rear.
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 09:10 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Default tires

i am really more interested in rubber tires, cause our track is smooth but i see the 1/12 scale guys chunking foams and i am not ready to buy a 300.00 tire truer . when i am ready for foams i want a good truer and that is pretty much the avg. cost. but as for rubber i was running the pit shimizu (s) treaded tires. and they are gone. cause i can't find them any where. i even contacted rci who distributes them ,and they said that only slicks were available. so now what? what about proline v rage, or hpi x pattern, or the advan tires, i forget who makes them. does any body care to share some hot tire info and inserts combo.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:44 PM   #5

You can find a good truer for less than $300. Just look around, I have a max mod truer I bought for $170 it trues within .001 and it also cuts camber. It not real fancy, or automatic but does just as good of job as the $300 you talk about with a good cutter. V rages are great here with hpi molded inserts med/soft, but are a A main tire only, my car eats the left sides off in a 10 min main. I use mostly in hot weather losi yellow slicks. Treaded tires or for dirt!!!! Sorex and Pits 30d's are very well also.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:02 AM   #6
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

i have yet see a rubber tire supply enough traction and servive more than a couple of races, ie two quals....... foams can last you a whole day, including a 45 minute main.............. even if your rubber does not look worn out it will chemically change when heated reapetedly... just like a nascar tire the tire will slowly go away... this is not a big deal if you are not racing, just mainly playing but when the compotition gets hot it becomes a big money game.... tire and inserts change with temp, and amount of sun...... also they only last realy 1 round of quals... if you want to compete in rubber( top of the food chain) you need to be putting fresh rubber on often( to stay in the top 5-10) with the foamit is just a matter of when you wear out your foam.... buy the good stuff the elligis are cheap...12 a pair i bielieve, i have yet to chunk one racing( two years includes national race) except when hitting a wall,but rims break also...wear is incredible...... try a 40 front tire and a 35 rear tire.. remember front and rear foam is different... that is a good starting point.....if you put rear foam on the front you will have way to much turn in adjust balance with setup and shore, do not swap front and rear foam........ i race on smooth and very rough pavement,parking lot, and foam is superior in traction and wear over any rubber.... if you find one that will wear well it will not have enough traction to be in the a main..
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 04:22 PM   #7

I totally agree ammdreww!!!!! Foams all the way. I have spent a bunch a money in rubber tire in the past 4 years . Foams out last them at least 5 to 1, just true the foams and regear if necessary!!!!! I have only chunked 2 tires in two years!! Maybe lucky maybe just good at what we do!!!!!! Remeber, When all else fails, Foam It!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2002, 04:38 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to adelmundo Send a message via AIM to adelmundo

Quote:
Originally posted by ammdrew
i have yet see a rubber tire supply enough traction and servive more than a couple of races, ie two quals....... foams can last you a whole day, including a 45 minute main.............. even if your rubber does not look worn out it will chemically change when heated reapetedly... just like a nascar tire the tire will slowly go away... this is not a big deal if you are not racing, just mainly playing but when the compotition gets hot it becomes a big money game.... tire and inserts change with temp, and amount of sun...... also they only last realy 1 round of quals... if you want to compete in rubber( top of the food chain) you need to be putting fresh rubber on often( to stay in the top 5-10) with the foamit is just a matter of when you wear out your foam.... buy the good stuff the elligis are cheap...12 a pair i bielieve, i have yet to chunk one racing( two years includes national race) except when hitting a wall,but rims break also...wear is incredible...... try a 40 front tire and a 35 rear tire.. remember front and rear foam is different... that is a good starting point.....if you put rear foam on the front you will have way to much turn in adjust balance with setup and shore, do not swap front and rear foam........ i race on smooth and very rough pavement,parking lot, and foam is superior in traction and wear over any rubber.... if you find one that will wear well it will not have enough traction to be in the a main..
I run both types of tires (foam and rubber). Honestly I can last through a set of rubber tires (I race about 3 days a month and practice about another 2 days a month at our local track) for about 2 months before they literally tear up. I usually stick to just 1 set of rubber tire and insert combo (it seems to work at EVERY track I go to regardless of traction spray or temperature) which is the Yokomo Sprint Medium with Ride Green inserts. With foams I can get probably a month of racing and practice.

So in the case wear life goes to rubber.

As far as traction, foams are it, so I give it to foams.

As far as ease of building and maintenance, I would give it to foams (don't have to build and never gluing never comes off so you don't get the "tire blow out effect", but you have to really just worry about chunking (which is preventable if you glue and use the sidewalk stickers). Also even if you don't true your tire (i never have a cone out problem since I have even tire wear becuase of the way i set up my car with camber etc., but even if you need to true you can always find someone with a truer at the track if you don't own one.

As far as driving realism I give it to rubber since it gives you the most "real world" feel.

As a result to me it doesn't matter whether I like foams or rubber as I think everyone should learn to drive with both tires and be prepared for whatever track/rules is in effect. If you can drive both and handle the technical aspects of both, you will be a better driver in the long run.
adelmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 04:50 PM   #9
Company Representative

i have seen rubber stick as good as foam... and when it does it does not last very long... point being if you want to race at the top .. have the tire that will compete.. the rubber tire will go away faster than it will wear our, so if you are racing a rubber only class the guy who can replace his tires most often wins.. unless he sucks of course... and the guy who buys tires once a month will not have a prayer after a couple of races..... but on foam the tire works until the foam is gone... and at the small size if you rotate you donot need a truer to be competitive.....
Old 02-07-2002, 07:17 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Default tires

just woundering. have any of you used or tried the solid rd logics tires that are pure rubber? if so how do they compair? the regular rd logics w/ inserts work well on carpet but i have not tried pavement or concrete though.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:34 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
i have seen rubber stick as good as foam... and when it does it does not last very long... point being if you want to race at the top .. have the tire that will compete.. the rubber tire will go away faster than it will wear our, so if you are racing a rubber only class the guy who can replace his tires most often wins.. unless he sucks of course... and the guy who buys tires once a month will not have a prayer after a couple of races..... but on foam the tire works until the foam is gone... and at the small size if you rotate you donot need a truer to be competitive.....
The only point I disagree on is the point about foams in that a rich guy can go just as fast through foams as a competitive rubebr guy. Most of the pros know that the best foam tire is a trued tire trued as much down as possible. Pros will go through a new set of foams every qual! When Barry Baker, Chris Tossolini, and Mike Swauger raced at one of our local races several months ago, they went through 3 sets of foams each (2 5 min quals and a 20 min main). My point is - Even in foams the most competitive guys (if you've been to a big race or nat'l events you will know this is true) are the ones that replace the most.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:05 PM   #12
Company Representative

yea you can switch foams every qual, that is more to keep constant tire size, and optimum ride heighth... and you are talking about a very minute difference, when you go play with the big dogs you need the tools... and at that point every 1/10th counts, i would be willing to bet that they are switching tires instead of truing them up or rotating, or they are running a softer compound in qualifying... the softer compound will get hot in a main and start losing traction....... so at every nat i have done i have switched tires for every qual and the mains, same as i had for the offroad nats..... blue grooved tracks can tear up a tire......the point is there was nothing wrong with the tires, they stuck just as well as before they ran, not true of any rubber once you heat it it is changing.....
Old 02-07-2002, 09:20 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
yea you can switch foams every qual, that is more to keep constant tire size, and optimum ride heighth... and you are talking about a very minute difference, when you go play with the big dogs you need the tools... and at that point every 1/10th counts, i would be willing to bet that they are switching tires instead of truing them up or rotating, or they are running a softer compound in qualifying... the softer compound will get hot in a main and start losing traction....... so at every nat i have done i have switched tires for every qual and the mains, same as i had for the offroad nats..... blue grooved tracks can tear up a tire......the point is there was nothing wrong with the tires, they stuck just as well as before they ran, not true of any rubber once you heat it it is changing.....
Actually they are usually trued to as little as possible to reduce the amount of tire flex more (sidewall roll). Not switched. Remember these guys get their tires for free. At the end of each qual or main, and I have looked at Barry Baker's and Swauger's tires since I love watching them pit, the tires are tossed in the trash can since is no foam left on them.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:29 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Default rd logic rubber tires, solid or regular w/ inserts

just woundering. have any of you used or tried the solid rd logics tires that are pure rubber? if so how do they compair? the regular rd logics w/ inserts work well on carpet but i have not tried pavement or concrete though.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:33 PM   #15
Company Representative

well i ahve never seen a 1.8 scaler take his tires down that low to qualfy..... i have seen them go to far on a main though... they would have a whole new setup issue for the mains not very smart, but if it does that extra i guess.... last years nats they would run a practice tank, sometimes half of one and throw the tires( rubber) in the trash, the track was very, loose and wet...rubber was sort of working, but every time the car went on the track the tires went in the garbage... i have never seen someone looking for a setup tearing up 50.00 in tires....... the foams even if they were that destroyed are less than 24.00 for four mounted...