R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-10-2004, 08:36 AM   #121
Tech Initiate

Default option hop ups

get all the optional springs...It comes with black. There is Silver, Gold, Copper. I'm using silver up front and Gold in the back right now. Get the adjustable rear swaybar FMW22. I would also buy all the gears. Tower seems to have all these things. I bought an extra set of all the springs in Tokyo...so if you can't find what you want let me know, I might have it.

JK
jkestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:49 AM   #122

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Jpilone

Here's a killer shot I took of a friend's Evolva at a Florida State series race.

Jpilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 09:17 PM   #123
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does the Evolva use the same battery as a Serpent 950r?
Old 04-11-2004, 07:12 AM   #124
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I am pretty sure you can.I use the recargable nmh batteries from radio shack they are green in color and they are AA batteries that is what josh cyrul uses but his are from kyosho. They are 2000ma instead of 700-or 800 which I think serpents are.
mike
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:56 AM   #125
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: option hop ups

Quote:
Originally posted by jkestler
get all the optional springs...It comes with black. There is Silver, Gold, Copper. I'm using silver up front and Gold in the back right now. Get the adjustable rear swaybar FMW22. I would also buy all the gears. Tower seems to have all these things. I bought an extra set of all the springs in Tokyo...so if you can't find what you want let me know, I might have it.

JK
Thanks for the kind offer. I have yet to get the car as I am still debating if I should get it at all. I have too many now and I just don't know if I have the time to learn another car and race it too...
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 12:01 PM   #126
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by whynot
I am pretty sure you can.I use the recargable nmh batteries from radio shack they are green in color and they are AA batteries that is what josh cyrul uses but his are from kyosho. They are 2000ma instead of 700-or 800 which I think serpents are.
mike

Thanks Mike...So the cells are actually larger.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:13 PM   #127
Tech Master

Yes the serpent ones are AAA and these ones I am using are AA prob. a little bit heavier but I think the car needs the extra weight to be legal from what I read somewhere .I just ordered a bunch of stuff from tower hobbies but they dont have aot of the stuff that I will really need like upper lower arms and steering blocks.
I am looking for a good place to buy tires for it but cant find any. where do you guys buy the tires at I will be using the mrx3 tires for it.
mike
Old 04-11-2004, 12:34 PM   #128
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to ianhobbies
Default evolva

Quote:
Originally posted by Jpilone
Here's a killer shot I took of a friend's Evolva at a Florida State series race.

killer shot indeed!
ianhobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:35 PM   #129
Tech Initiate

Default tires

Quote:
I am looking for a good place to buy tires for it but cant find any. where do you guys buy the tires at I will be using the mrx3 tires for it.
Any Mugen MRX3 wheels/tires will do.....the boxes in japan of the newly stocked tires read MRX3-Evolva on the application sticker. I'm running MRX tires now.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:48 PM   #130
Tech Fanatic

What are some comparison examples you guys can give me?
Such as... How does it differ handling wise from an MRX3 or 950R?

Thanks in advance for your input.
NitroHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 04:23 PM   #131
Tech Initiate

Quote:
How does it differ handling wise from an MRX3 or 950R?
I haven't driven either of these so I can't make a fair comparison. A car is judged by its controlablity and response to setup changes. The Evolva is both very stable and very responsive to changes.....example is that I change the front sway bar by 30 deg. and I can see/feel the difference in handling.
The three cars are probably very comparable in the right hands. I must say that I am very impressed by the stability and predictability of the Evolva....I don't have to "saw" on the wheel to keep it going the right way.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:59 PM   #132
Tech Master

I think the price for parts for the Evolva are very cheap even from tower hobbies.And you get 2 parts in a pacage for the price of 1 serpent part.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:16 AM   #133
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to ianhobbies
Default pulleys

are the pulleys used here the same with the touring car?
Old 04-18-2004, 11:07 AM   #134
Tech Apprentice

Default Difference between S950R, MRX3 and Evolva

I have S950R, MRX3 and Evolva. My observation based on my experience with these cars as follows:

Serpent 950R

Cost: Its the most expensive, both in the car itself and the parts.
Handling: Its the least drivable car. It tends to be pushy and understeers very much. It takes a lot of care to setup and maintain.
Durability: With the new 950R, the front end tends to be more fragile.
Support: Locally Serpent support is the best. They always have parts available, got the best 1/8 local people to drive their cars, and organize the most races. Local 1/8 people always swears that if its not about the support they would NEVER drive the Serpent.

Mugen MRX3

Cost: Its economical.
Handling: Its the best handling car amongst the three. Lots of steering and predictable handling characteristics. Its very easy and forgiving to setup.
Durability: Mugen parts are quite durable.
Support: Locally Mugen support is non-existant. There is always no parts for it. The local importer never organize races, and worst I have to pay twice the price to drive the Mugen in the only one 1/8 track here....

Kyosho Evolva

Cost: Its economical. However, due to its illogical parts tree placement repairs and maintenance might be more expensive than the MRX3. e.g. if I damage the upper a-arm with the camber link, I have to get two packs of parts for the Evolva-One pack just to use the upper a-arm, and another pack just to use the camber link. With the camber link pack it includes a-arms of the old Fantom, which is no use for the Evolva.....
Handling: I feel the Mugen is a little bit better in handling than the Evolva, but both of these handles great compared to the 950R.
Durability: The material of the Evolva is a bit softer than Mugen. Some parts wears out quite fast.
Support: Locally in the past Kyosho support is also non-existant, but since the Evolva the local importer is getting their act together and importing more cars and parts. They also start to organize races.

In my opinion, taking out the support factor, I would choose the MRX3 first, Evolva second, and 950R at the very very last. Both the Japanese cars are economical to maintain, at least with the cost of one Serpent A-arm I can get a tree of a-arms with the MRX3 and the Evolva.

My 0.02 cent and no flame intended!
jasoncsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 05:12 PM   #135
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Ted B.

first time racing an eight scale car, and I noticed that I have fair amount of push going into the corners and almost no off-power steering. any suggestions? what would be the first thing you guys would do?
Ted B. is offline   Reply With Quote