R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-16-2007, 04:41 PM   #1156
Tech Regular

Pretty sure The 1.9 is wire diameter in milimeters and the 3.5 or 4.0 is the number of active coils - in spring formulas (if memory serves) wire is to the fourth power so it's the most important factor, the greater number of active coils (assuming common length) gives you a finer pitch - therefore a lower spring rate. If you think of it another way the more coils you have each one displaces less per an amount of compression.
Rick Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:17 PM   #1157
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

in layman's terms, same wire thickness:

more coils = softer spring
less coils = stiffer spring

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:13 AM   #1158
Tech Regular

Cool Interesting...

One would think that with more coils that the spring rate would be harder. Interesting information. I have always wondered about the differences myself. Good info to know.

On another subject. Does anyone know who has the best price on a 2005 WC Evolva at the moment? I have found plenty of places that have the regular 05 but no one with the Worlds edition for a decent price yet. Also has anyone priced out to see what it would take to convert an 03 Evolva to the 05 WC?
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:59 AM   #1159
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter
One would think that with more coils that the spring rate would be harder. Interesting information. I have always wondered about the differences myself. Good info to know.

Think of the spring as a long torsion bar that is wrapped into a coil (coil spring), the longer it is the easier it is to twist. So, the smaller the diameter at the same length makes it easier to twist or the longer the wire makes it easier to twist, or compress if it is in a coil.
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #1160
Tech Adept

Default Evolva 07 Parts

We received pre-production parts for the Winter Nats. As we currently understand it, this will make up the Evolva 07 update kit with target availablility in April. We had new rear arms (upper and lower), a new front body mount, new rear body mount, new rear shock tower and radio tray.

Here is what to expect.

1) Front Body Mount: The new front mount is graphite and slides the body mounts farther forward.

2) Longer Lower Arms: The rear arms are longer to allow more of the pivot ball to thread into the arm. The shock mount position has also been moved out to lay the rear shock down more. The swaybar mount has also been moved on the arm and turned 90 degrees. If a 3mm spacer is used behind the ball, it moves the pivot back to the same location.

3) Shorter Upper Arms: The short upper arms are now molded. These are to be used with the outer pin location in the bulkhead. Using the short arm with no spacer(s) under it gives the same static roll center as the long arm with a 3mm spacer underneath.

4) Taller Rear Body Mount H-Arms: The new rear upper arms also have a new rear body mount H-Arm that raises the rear of the body 5mm. This new H-arm has two holes so you can also lower it down to stock height. The new H-Arm does not require a spacer like the old one.

5) New Rear Body Mount: The body mount now has a third hold to the outside of the existing holes, and at the same level as the outside hole, to stand the H-Arms mounts up more vertical.

6) New Rear Shock Mount: The new shock mount now has four mounting positions for the post that centers the rear body mount.

7) New Radio Tray: The new radio tray has more cut outs and has much more flex than the original tray.

See the attached pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Kyosho Evolva-newreararmwshrtuprarm.jpg   Kyosho Evolva-rearbodymountpositions.jpg   Kyosho Evolva-newrearbodymounth-arm.jpg   Kyosho Evolva-newradiotray.jpg   Kyosho Evolva-newreararm.jpg  

Old 02-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #1161
Tech Adept

More pictures, and some comments:

As the week progressed in Florida, we started to try the parts, however for those of you who didn't go this year, the track was quite different, the grip was much lower over prior years.

The front body mount was nice, it definately allowed us to mount our bodies more forward, and applied more downforce to the front of the car.

The rear body mount is great, running the rear of the body high was definatley needed because of the lack of grip. The mount goes over 80mm high if you need it. I ran mine there, at the end of the week, and definatley kept the car more planted.

I ran the new upper rear arm as well Joel for most of the week, it helped free the car up and created more turn in.

We didn't do too much with the new rear lower arm, but it defiately will make the car more durable when running a wider rear track.

I believe Josh and Toso both ran the new rear body mount but ran the longer upper a-arm instead.

As we learn more on higher traction tracks we will keep you posted on what we find with the new parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Kyosho Evolva-rearbodymount.jpg   Kyosho Evolva-newrearbodymounth-arm.jpg   Kyosho Evolva-frontmount-rearshckmnt.jpg  
Old 02-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #1162
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Sirio2127

Quote:
On another subject. Does anyone know who has the best price on a 2005 WC Evolva at the moment? I have found plenty of places that have the regular 05 but no one with the Worlds edition for a decent price yet. Also has anyone priced out to see what it would take to convert an 03 Evolva to the 05 WC?
I'am selling my Kyosho evolva 05 wc kit with a just broken in engine heeps and heeps of parts and tirers. pm me for more info and pic's.
Sirio2127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:16 AM   #1163
Tech Master

How many teeth are there on the axle pulley?

Thanks

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:08 AM   #1164
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy12345
How many teeth are there on the axle pulley?

Thanks
From a previous post:

front axle pulley = 24T
front layshaft pulley = 16T
front side belt pulley = 26T
rear side belt pulley = 18T
rear brake pulley = 20T
rear axle pulley = 48T
Old 02-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #1165
Tech Regular

Default Excel Spreadsheet

I seem to remember that someone posted an Excel Spread sheet that calculated your final drive ratios but allowed you to input whatever tooth pulley you wanted. Does anyone recall show posted it? This was quite some time ago so (pre Kyosho Evolva possibly).
Old 02-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #1166
Tech Master

Quote:
I seem to remember that someone posted an Excel Spread sheet that calculated your final drive ratios but allowed you to input whatever tooth pulley you wanted. Does anyone recall show posted it? This was quite some time ago so (pre Kyosho Evolva possibly).
http://www.empirercracing.com/tips.html

There is an Excel set-up sheet (at the address above) that allows you to input tire/spur and pinion to get gearing and roll-out. It doesn't allow for side pully changes however.

I have an "newer" Kyosho branded version, but, you'll have to PM me. It's to large to upload here.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #1167
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

Email me at [email protected] and put "Excel gear chart" in the title and I will send it to you.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #1168
Tech Regular

Default Thanks!

Email has been sent! Thanks Robert!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #1169
Tech Regular

Deleted....wrong site
Old 03-02-2007, 02:40 AM   #1170
Tech Adept

Hello,
I would appreciate if someone could explain what is the 0/2 meaning in the FRONT UPPER mounts. In the setup sheet it says FRONT UPPER 0/2 and then -1 -0.5 N 0.5 1.
Thanks