R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-04-2007, 05:24 PM   #1051
Tech Adept

They are only available for the swingshaft/CVD axle type. Which IMO are the only ones to be running especially in the front.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #1052
Tech Fanatic

Hey Aaron,

Congrats on the new edition! Is this your first child?

Oh yeah, thanks for your input on the car!
Old 01-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #1053
Tech Adept

Thanks,

No, its our second...

No problem, let me know if you make any progress on the setup.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #1054
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_buran
Thanks,

No, its our second...

No problem, let me know if you make any progress on the setup.
Nice... Enjoy your blessings.

As far as the set-up goes...
I noticed towards the end of last season MRX4R's had ALOT of corner speed...
Though I was able to hang with them, I found myself driving alot harder to keep up... The 4's seemed like they slowed very little or not at all for pretty sharp turns... I had to go in slow and come out fast...

I hope these new rear upper a arms do the trick, giving more side bite thru 180's
Old 01-05-2007, 07:05 AM   #1055
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Aaron,

Congrats on the new baby! How's Holly doing? Looking forward to this year's MWS schedule, I should actually be able to make a few this time! I'll be in touch soon to get base setups for all the tracks.

Take care,
Rick Vessell
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #1056
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Are you guys using AA or AAA batteries in your evolva's I have a AA pack but it seems to be just a bit to wide.And Does anyone lower the gas tank so that it just sits on the top of the battery.
mike
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:58 PM   #1057
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot
Are you guys using AA or AAA batteries in your evolva's I have a AA pack but it seems to be just a bit to wide.And Does anyone lower the gas tank so that it just sits on the top of the battery.
mike
I have used a 2000mAH AA pack since I built the car and love it. I was still underweight (originally) and all the big weight stays low. There is a trick to making a pack to fit in the tight battery opening. You can open it up with a Dremel like some people I have seen, or build the pack a little narrower. My 2000 cells are a tiny bit shorter and much smaller in weight and diameter than the current 2400/2600 cells.

Make sure you get the thinner heatshrink for starters and then I make my connections with this stuff http://www.electronicsic.com/wick.htm It is pure copper and flows electricity great. Make sure you don't go hog wild on the amount of solder and you shouldn't have any buildup problems.

There is one other thing you can do pre-build if you are super careful. Get a tiny hammer and tap the positive nubs down a little bit. Just a tick so you don't damage the internal cell structure but it should get you much more clearance.

Aaron, spill it on the offset axles How are they offset? What is the goal? More/less scrub set spacers or different positions? Is the dogbone itself any different in length? Enquiring minds wanna know
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #1058
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I've listed my 2005 Evolva, Motor, Parts, Tires here on RC-Tech.

Time to clean out the closet!!

Good buys on everything!!
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:52 AM   #1059
Tech Adept

fraz,

I haven't seen them yet, I should have a set this week, more scrub usually equals more steering, almost like running more caster. The set that I have (delta), let you offset the wheel 2mm. You don't have to do anything with the swingshaft, if you put the shims on the inside (to run no offset) just remove a spacer behind your one-way drive if necessary.

whynot,

The chassis opening is really narrow, if you run the kyosho NiCad packs they fit perfect, if you run NiMh batteries they are usually very tight. Many of us mill our chassis a bit so we can run NiMh batteries without risking shorting them out. They will fit, but they are very tricky to align and install/remove. Also roughen up the battery plate and use 5 minute epoxy & strapping tape to attach them to the plate. We have seen the batteries get loose then break at the solder joints, if not glued to the battery tray on bumpy tracks.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:45 AM   #1060
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz
I make my connections with this stuff http://www.electronicsic.com/wick.htm It is pure copper and flows electricity great. Make sure you don't go hog wild on the amount of solder and you shouldn't have any buildup problems.
Fraz, you might want to rethink your choice of battery connector. I have a LOT of SMP battery experiences and that stuff has lead to more that a few run a ways. It saturates with solder and becomes brittle from movement and vibration and cracks. I suggest using pieces of copper flat stock you can buy or make. A good general hobby shop (planes and trains) will have this. In a pinch you can pound a piece of 1/8th copper tubing flat.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #1061
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoage
Fraz, you might want to rethink your choice of battery connector. I have a LOT of SMP battery experiences and that stuff has lead to more that a few run a ways. It saturates with solder and becomes brittle from movement and vibration and cracks. I suggest using pieces of copper flat stock you can buy or make. A good general hobby shop (planes and trains) will have this. In a pinch you can pound a piece of 1/8th copper tubing flat.
What's your thoughts on having Batteries Plus Spot weld using thier flat metal straps? This is almost non-existant in size, and still has some movement if needed? This is the same type of connections used in cell phone and other cordless devices.
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #1062
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoage
Good point Robert. I also forgot to mention I built the pack with the old school 1/12 scale pack building technique... CA glue with fillets of baking soda so the pack is a solid unit. I have been running the same pack for over 2 years on the same car and have only once had to clean it up thoroughly, reshrink and add a new plug once and it is in great shape with no runaways. Heck I even ran a back to back B and A main at Toys for Tots the year before last and it was like 90 minutes straight with 2 KO high torque digitals, no problem. If you have the cells floating around inside shrink and not glued to each other, I wouldn't use anything but wire.

If ya want to talk risky... I'm considering LiPo! <LOL>
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #1063
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Sirio2127

Hello Aaron, I tryed some things on the test day i had at the track i ended up with kyosho light blue springs on the car and a tiny bit of front bar and it gave the car much more stability all round i ran 2.5deg camber 3deg toe on the rear and the out side bulkhead hole. Ive now gone to the inside hole at the rear bulkhead and will up the camber to 3deg and see if the car keeps inproving. The car befor the changes just seem to become unsettaled under braking and corner entry but its got a lot better just from that small spring change. Ill let you know what i end up with by the end of our first race meet. Thanks agen and Best Regards jeremy. Ps also about battery i use 1000mah nimh 3a pack's i made I only use them because of the big weight saving I can now run a heavy body 1mm dome and i am still under weight but at least i can place the weight were it can be used to my advantage. I just have 3 pack charged at all times one in the car i run the qualifers with it and then switch to a fresh for the 20 or 30min final. I find provinding you charge them slowly they last along time and you good run time from them befor they need recharging.
Sirio2127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #1064
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Orfeous Send a message via AIM to Orfeous Send a message via MSN to Orfeous Send a message via Yahoo to Orfeous

anyone got pictures of their evolvas? i have just seen an overview picture on kyoshos site.

i am just curious
Orfeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:05 AM   #1065
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Sirio2127

Here are some pic's of my chassis in a novarossi config. Regards Jeremy.
Attached Thumbnails
Kyosho Evolva-sany0010%7E1.jpg   Kyosho Evolva-sany0009%7E1.jpg   Kyosho Evolva-sany0008%7E1.jpg   Kyosho Evolva-sany0007%7E1.jpg   Kyosho Evolva-sany0006%7E1.jpg  

Sirio2127 is offline   Reply With Quote