R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-18-2004, 05:17 PM   #136
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Ted B.

oh yea, and does anyone ever run traction compound to make up for a low bite track?
Ted B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:07 PM   #137
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for your reply Jason,

I have an MRX3 and was very interested how other 1.8 scale on road cars compared.

Here's why...
A buddy of mine was driving a Mugen MRX3 for the past 2 seasons. By the end of last season he was so frustrated with it, he said..."If I don't improve with the Serpent 950R, Im getting out of the hobby".. I have been experiencing the same thing as him.
The only difference being, Iam a newbie to R/C and can attribute my problems to this.

Well, he improved GREATLY... He's turning lap times as fast and sometimes faster than the local fast guys. The funny thing is he did nothing special to the car, he just built it according to the instructions provided without even looking at the 'set-up' booklet.
He claims to have better steering and over-all better handling with the 950R.

I guess I will just have to wait until my orders for the 950R and the Evolva get here and try them for myself.
NitroHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:15 PM   #138
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by NitroHead
Thanks for your reply Jason,

I have an MRX3 and was very interested how other 1.8 scale on road cars compared.

Here's why...
A buddy of mine was driving a Mugen MRX3 for the past 2 seasons. By the end of last season he was so frustrated with it, he said..."If I don't improve with the Serpent 950R, Im getting out of the hobby".. I have been experiencing the same thing as him.
The only difference being, Iam a newbie to R/C and can attribute my problems to this.

Well, he improved GREATLY... He's turning lap times as fast and sometimes faster than the local fast guys. The funny thing is he did nothing special to the car, he just built it according to the instructions provided without even looking at the 'set-up' booklet.
He claims to have better steering and over-all better handling with the 950R.

I guess I will just have to wait until my orders for the 950R and the Evolva get here and try them for myself.
I can garantee you that it is not the car, but the setting. Maybe he just accidentally got a decent setting for the 950R, but never came around to do that on the mrx-3.

From what I see, he has not been in the hobby for long (am I correct?0, so it is possible.
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:19 PM   #139
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Ted b

Try a 30 shore frt tire,and or try a lighter spring up front,is your front sway bar parrallel to the ground ? more options to do but thats a start, also dont be shy in going over at the fast guys table and look at their car. Most fast guys around my track will offer good advice in helping someone out, because in my opinion its driving skill that puts them ahead. Traction compond on rear tires 1/8 scale - NO
rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 12:43 AM   #140
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
From what I see, he has not been in the hobby for long (am I correct?0, so it is possible.
No, I think you misunderstood... Im the newbie! He has been in the hobby for more than 10 yrs or so. This is going to be my 3rd season and Im doing ok I guess. I came in second place last season in the 1/8 sportsman class at my local club and the fast guys say that I have improved greatly. The lap times some of us turn in the 1/8 sportsmans class are very close to the 'A' main 'Open' class lap times.

I'd also like to add, I love my MRX3! With me I think it's just a patience issue... When I'm calm and patient at the controller the feels SLOW to me, but thats when I turn the 'Big Boy' lap times!
I come off the drivers stand and get high fives, with people asking if Im running a JP! (I have 5) But I usually just run my stock R1!

This years motto is going to be;
"DON'T OVERSHOOT THE CORNERS"

I'm going to try the other cars just for my own curiosity.
It's not like I want to quit the hobby or anything.

This is the most fun I can have without taking my pants off!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 03:31 PM   #141
B
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by NitroHead
No, I think you misunderstood... Im the newbie! He has been in the hobby for more than 10 yrs or so.
Yah, I understood you the first time. I made my assumption because I have yet to meet any dedicated enthusiast say that they will quit RC just because a car is not running properly.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:55 PM   #142
Tech Fanatic

Gotcha B! I feel the same way!
Old 04-19-2004, 04:08 PM   #143
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ive only owned the mrx3 and thought it was very forgiving on
set up.

For every serpent ive seen it seemed like the owners always
seem to have a push and had to make the rear loose to get
the steering.

the evolva seems to be the new thing at our track. it seems
to have as much steering as the mugen and have the rear
end of the car a little more planted.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:57 PM   #144
Tech Master

Where can we get parts here in Socal for the evolva?
manokgt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:24 PM   #145
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by manokgt4
Where can we get parts here in Socal for the evolva?
Tower Hobbies web site
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:37 PM   #146
Tech Initiate

Default Front end problems

Quote:
first time racing an eight scale car, and I noticed that I have fair amount of push going into the corners and almost no off-power steering. any suggestions? what would be the first thing you guys would do?
Dude, Thats wierd to have no off-power steering. Usually the front end gets weight transfer when you come off the throttle and plants the front end. It sounds like your front end is way too stiff. I would start by softening the front sway bar all the way. If it still pushes your springs and/or shock oil is too heavy.
There are only two types of front end push: the two front tires skip or slide across the surface because the stiffness doesn't allow weight transfer (what you have most likely) and a push caused by too much tranfer where the car rolls up onto the outside tire causing it to overpower the adhesion of that one outside tire (you may even see the inside tire come off the ground.)
Good luck
JK
jkestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 08:59 PM   #147
Tech Adept

hi all..

Last edited by elephant; 04-20-2004 at 08:40 AM.
elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:53 PM   #148
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

At the end of the day, a well setup Kyo/Mug/Ser 1:8 will be almost as fast. Their gemotery are almost identical. Serpent used to carry less cornering speed (aim and squirt car), due to the Italian always have faster engines! I think that has changed now with the 950R and they are as far mid corner as the Japanese.

In terms of parts fitting... Mug/Kyo is far superior to the Serpent. I have always drive a Mugen... Have brought Vector, Vteq and 950. Only the Vector made it to the track. By the time I finished building the Vteq and 950... I give up on running it.

Mugen is probably the most user friendly all around car.
slooookomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 04:13 PM   #149
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I have always drive a Mugen...
Quote:
Mugen is probably the most user friendly all around car.
You have always driven a Mugen....this is a Kyosho Evolva thread. The Kyosho so far is extremely user friendly, maybe Mugen is too but how can you say that Mugen is the most user friendly if you've never had an Evolva?
jkestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:22 PM   #150
B
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by jkestler
You have always driven a Mugen....this is a Kyosho Evolva thread. The Kyosho so far is extremely user friendly, maybe Mugen is too but how can you say that Mugen is the most user friendly if you've never had an Evolva?
I agree to an extent. I have had experience with both Mugen and Kyosho cars, and I can say that while both are user friendly, Mugen cars seem to have a bigger range of sweet spot.