R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

very nice roelof, ive been seeing you around the forums, you are a great addition to the forums!!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Because I did make it directly from out of the hand I had no drawings but my Paint skilz are pretty good.

I used parts from Mugen, the mount for the exhaust C0901 (I have the old version) and the complete side belt tensioner based om part H0293.

The hole for the exhaust spring is 2.5mm, you can directly make it to M3 thread.
Shorten the mount to 8mm from the center of the hole. And grind off one edge so it will not touch the center shaft mount. The grinded edge has to face the tank.
Drill a 4mm hole on 23mm from the 3mm hole as mentioned in the drawing. It is better to take a look if it is the right distance, for sure if you did grinded the 8mm length by hand. The bearings may not touch the 16t pulley.
If you use a M4 flathead screw you can drill up the hole so you have some space to find the right spot.

Screw the tensioner to it with the right amount of spacers so the 2 bearing are directly placed above the pulley.

At the end you will see the belt will touch the servosaver. You can grind off some material of the saver and if you can not get it right then you have to grind off more from part C0901 so the belt comes a bit higher.

I did lower the saver by moving the lower bearing (take 3mm matirial from the inside of the tube) and grind off some material from the under edge.
Attached Thumbnails
No more stripping frontbelts.-tensioner1.jpg   No more stripping frontbelts.-tensioner2.jpg  
Old 03-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Can you tell us more on that gas cooler you made? It looks very interesting And it might just be a way of getting rid of all this heat sink i have lying around
Old 03-22-2009, 02:02 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBlazin View Post
very nice roelof, ive been seeing you around the forums, you are a great addition to the forums!!
AGREE! Thanks ROELOF!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:21 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyles View Post
Can you tell us more on that gas cooler you made? It looks very interesting And it might just be a way of getting rid of all this heat sink i have lying around
It is a piece of aluminium in which I made a U shape channel covered with a piece from an old 486 cooler:

Not that nice made but at home I do not have all the machinery
Old 03-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RevMaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
It is a piece of aluminium in which I made a U shape channel covered with a piece from an old 486 cooler:

Not that nice made but at home I do not have all the machinery
how do you air-seal the cooler?
RevMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #22
Tech Champion

I just used some locktite between the parts what will act as glue/sealing.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #23
Tech Champion

I examined this mod, ...... I presume the front belt will scrub the left screw on top of the steering block.

Just some ideas to get a perfect front belt's tension :

1. Why not special order front belt with two less teeth ?

2. Isn't that mrx4R and mrx4X already come with adjustable belt tensioner through an eccentric bearing holder ? .... I not sure if mrx4 standard comes with eccentric bearing holder or not.

(I have mrx4R ..... I don't use the eccentric bearing holder. Instead, I use bigger bearing like in mrx3.... so I don't know the front belt tension will be with eccentric bearing holder set to max. ).

3. One more trick as alternative, .... BUT I HAVEN'T TEST IT. Replace the front belt middle pulley 16T with 18T, and replace the rear side 16T pulley with 18T pulley. The overdrive and underdrive ratio of the car are still the same. I just hope the front side pulley's bracket holder can accept 18T pulley, if it does, it's problem solved.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #24
Tech Champion

It is not the tension on the belt solving the issue. Yes, the R and X have a tensioner but the problem remains the same: the belt has only grip in 6 or 7 teeth of the pulley. The mod keeps the belt more arround the pulley and holds grip on 8 or even 9 teeth, it can stand 17% more (or even more) power.

Swapping the 16t and 18t pulley could be an idea, I doubt there is enough space to fit the 18t on the front belt.

And yes, the belt will rubb the saver, there is some room to shave off some material from the saver but as mentioned before I did lower the saver.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
And yes, the belt will rubb the saver, there is some room to shave off some material from the saver but as mentioned before I did lower the saver.
Oh I see...... so you lowered the steering bellcrank.

Let me test 18T and 16T pulley first for tomorrow..... , if it fail, I'll consider belt tensioner and mtx3 steering bellcrank as my 2nd try.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #26
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

As Roleof said, tension is not the problem. I tried running the eccentric one notch tighter than stock for a while and belt life was greatly REDUCED. I was going through belts left and right until I switched back.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #27
moy
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

nice i deal roleof, one of my friend before tried the side belt tensioner form mtx4 so you could adjust the tension cheaper than the empire but the empire looks good, but yeah he had to change the screw from the servo saver to a flat ones.
moy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Just spent 5 hours working on the car tonight .....

18T pulley cannot be fit into the bracket

The problem : the front belt is not long enough to accomodate 18T.
( Even eccentric bearing holder is at the most relax position, the belt is not long enough to be fit )

If I'm correct at counting, the original front belt has 67 teeth.

Unless I can get a belt with 68 teeth, then I can use it with 18T pulley.

Right now, I plan to do nothing....... so tired.

In future when I'm in the mood ..... I will order custom made front belt either with 66T or 68T, and with 6.5mm width.

Last edited by asw7576; 11-08-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #29
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I miss the wide belt conversion Mike Queller used to make for the 3. It used the rear belt (same length, just wider) with wider pulleys. With some fiddling I managed to get it to work on the 4 but with a lack of available front pulleys I've had to stick with stock.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #30
Tech Champion

What ?? .... Lets google

update :

....... Sadly, no pictures about Speedline Wide Front Belt Conversion : Part # 9797M

Last edited by asw7576; 03-23-2009 at 01:00 PM.