Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Help on Final Decisions >

Help on Final Decisions

Help on Final Decisions

Old 11-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default Help on Final Decisions

Hey all, I have been reading these forums and trying to decide on my first 1/10 nitro tourer kit along with everything else needed to make it ready to run. I have done hours of research and anyway, here it is.

Team Magic G4 e-class
Team Magic X-5 Starter Box
RD Logics roar legal tuned pipe
Trinity Nitro Starter Set (gas, glow plug, etc)
NEED HELP ON WHAT ENGINE!!!! $150 limit
ALSO NEED HELP ON WHAT RADIO!!!
(I currently have a jr x2i AM, but would like FM)

After seeing all this, does anyone have any suggestions for the radio and engine? Does anyone have a suggestion on a different kit, starter box, etc. Thanks, and help is appreciated. Later

bballer

Old 11-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Tech Addict

Default Let the debate begin!

First off. Go to a track, look around, ask questions.
Second off, Go to a track, look around, ask questions.
And thirdly, Go to a track, look around, ask questions.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree. If you're new to the hobby, it's a good idea to have some help. If you find out what the majority of the people are racing, you can probably get some help if you need it. Another good idea is the buy a car that has parts support at the local hobby store. Unless of course, you can afford to stock your own mini hobby shop with parts for your car

As for my opinion on cars, I've tried a NTC3, G4 and MTX3 and like my MTX3 the best. It's a pretty tough car and pretty easy to work on.

For radios, I recommend Futaba with a PCM transmitter module and receiver. I've never had a glitch with my PCM, but have with normal FM.

For a $150 engine, go with a MT12 SG crank. It's a good reliable inexpensive engine. Or and OS, I hear they are easy to tune and really reliable as well. If you can afford to spend more, NovaMega SX12. I've also heard RB's are good but I've never owned one.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

You can get a STS engin from www.rcmushroom.com for $90 and there a good engin they look good and go pretty hard.

MY 2 CENTS
Old 11-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

I am not really new to the hobby, just to nitro. I have been racing electric carpet for a while now. Also, I will check into what parts my lhs has for the g4, but im pretty sure they have some and at reasonable prices. From what ive heard, it will be more suitable to my driving style and needs.

Surge-- what certain type of Futaba PCM radio do you have and what else would I need. I see that you need a crystal set. Also, I heard a problem with the Os was that it didn't have the best top end. Is that solved w/ the mt12? And how easy is the mt12 to tune? Thanks a lot

TomKelley--I live about an hour from Detroit, and even though nitro season is over, are there any indoor tracks near the area? the closest track i have heard of is Lazer?? speedway up maybe near brighton, but its outdoor. Thanks a lot

bballer
Old 11-24-2003, 06:33 PM
Tech Adept

Hey bballer. Sorry for assuming you were new to the hobby. Sounds like you know what's going on if you race carpet. It's a LOT of fun. I finally got to race carpet again in Dallas last weekend for the first race of a new track that opened.

The MT12 is faster than the OS. I've heard the same that the OS is down on power. The MT12 is pretty easy to tune too, like other Novarossi based designs, and it's in your price range. If you want a faster engine, the MR12 is a good choice, but they are hard to find since they are primarily a MTX3 kit engine. Other than that I've been really impressed with my NS12S3, but they are pretty expensive.

I'm using a Futaba 3PK now. I have a PCM receiver in my MTX3 and a HRS receiver in my Xray. The HRS is a PCM receiver with faster reaction time, but is for digital servos only so I don't use one in my nitro car. I can't remember ever having a glitch in either car with those receivers. The cool thing about PCM is, the receiver 'locks' onto your transmitter's signal and is better at filtering noise from signals that aren't from your transmitter. The futaba is a pretty strong transmitter too. I've actually made a guy with a KO Mars move down to the other end of the drivers stand to keep my radio from glitching his car! It's only happened with that one guy though.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Hey surge, its all good, and yeah, carpet racing is sweet. Thanks for the info on the mt12, i have found a place online i can get it from if my lhs doesn't have it in stock. Thanks for the info on the radios, I think i have narrowed it down. btw, have you ever used or heard of the team magic x-5 starter box? I heard it works really well, but it's hard to get in the states. thanks

bballer
Old 11-24-2003, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

I haven't seen one of those in person. Trinity has them on their site under accessories, KFactory. It looks like it might be good since it has a flat plate for the car to sit on like my Mugen starter box does. I really like my Mugen starter.

I know a guy who has the smaller blue Team Magic starter box and he said the car isn't very stable on it.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:26 AM
Tech Regular

After doing all the Same research and Buying my First nitro Kit, second nitro third motor.This is what i've bought.MTX3 Great Kit Loved Building it Plenty of Hop up availible.... Doesn't need most of em.Airtronics MX-3 Radio Hitec 625MG servos fast enough mid range price and durable.STS D3 Motor Had alot of problems with it ...O'Donnell 20% fuel was Bad.Bought a New Jug of Fuel Motor is Awesome!Finding that problem and fixing it was due to the Awesome customer support from Dino @ STS and Roger The seller of the Motor PM 'Prawntoe' or jlpracing.com (D series motors).I Know I'm gonna Hear it about my Starter Box But i went with the XTM 12V Kit $100(Heavy as Hell).Great Starter came with everything Charger Battery Glow ignitor that hooks to the Box Jumper Cables to car Bat, power panel. Works Flawlessly even that its xtm.... I built my own rx packs and Got the Batteries from Batteryspace.com 20 AAA Ni-Mh 700 they adv 600 I recieved 700's with tabs and 4 wire connectors for $30 shipped. Have to Go with AAA Hump 3X2 for stock placement, unless you cut the foam bumper out and install there.So Far for tire support RC Mushroom Has the best prices but they gonna get you in shipping. Maximize your orders to cut shipping costs.All in all still $900 and I skimped a bit.UltimateHobbies.com MTX3 $325.I Looked at the G4 also and everybody told me the same thing(which is very Rare here) MTX-3! parts are High and harder to get on the G4. Hope this helps you out some I spent hundreds of hours and Really made a nusiance of myself Trying to get all the answers to my Questions. I have to Say That I am Very Happy with the end Product and Now I can start to grow into my Car. The people here are very helpful and have Many Differant points of view. The trick is to weed through it all and find the best combination for you. Also I went with the Venom failsafe and Temp gauge. The Temp Gauge works VERY Well No Matter How Far anyone tells you to Throw it Boiling water after you remove it from the flame Measures 210-211 and under tongue temp reads 98.6 (when Healthy). You should have a Temp Gauge to help you with Fuel mixture tuning if you are new to Nitro. If you go with the STS D series Motor Roger has 1 piece tuned pipes in the $40 Range that fit the motor very well. I know what i went though Making a decision and i Hope That My research helps you too.I Think The best thing I can Tell you is Buy The Kit first and go from there Build it to what you see fit as you build it. X-mas sales are starting soon and you might be able to shave a few dollars on the things you have decided on. Good Luck!

Last edited by Fisher890; 11-25-2003 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Help on Final Decisions

Originally posted by bballer
Hey all, I have been reading these forums and trying to decide on my first 1/10 nitro tourer kit along with everything else needed to make it ready to run. I have done hours of research and anyway, here it is.

Team Magic G4 e-class
Team Magic X-5 Starter Box
RD Logics roar legal tuned pipe
Trinity Nitro Starter Set (gas, glow plug, etc)
NEED HELP ON WHAT ENGINE!!!! $150 limit
ALSO NEED HELP ON WHAT RADIO!!!
(I currently have a jr x2i AM, but would like FM)

After seeing all this, does anyone have any suggestions for the radio and engine? Does anyone have a suggestion on a different kit, starter box, etc. Thanks, and help is appreciated. Later

bballer

First, no G4, go for MTC-3, I mean.... MTX-3
Except nothing else but Ofna Starterbox
RD Logics Pipe is economically where the performace intersect with the price; great pipe for the wallet
$150 engine? Go for Novarossi MT12.
Radio? Futaba 3PK or JR R-1
Servos: KO Digital Steering and Analog Torque
Old 11-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

Hey,
G4 is an ok car, i recently purchased it but haven't got to run it yet. Here are some problems you will run into. FIrst of all, i have not heard good things about it. Second, everything you need to get has to be SMALL in size. You need microsized battery from trinity, the hump pack AAA, I bought a JR XS3 synthesized radio and the receiver is like 3 times to big for where it fits, had to modify that. I guess the gas tank is bad, only like 69 cc or something. You gotta do a lotta grindin and sanding an a bunch of parts especially steering assembly and suspension arms. I would go with the Kyosho V one RR evo or the Mugen MTX3. If you still want this car i can sell you mine. It has been put together and has a rossi pixi .12 3 port ROAR legal motor on it. I will sell you the G4 pro kit and the motor ( nothing else, i don't even have air filter or glow plugs yet for motor) for 450 shipped to your house. Let me know, i would like to get the Kyosho V on RR evo so if you want this i'm willing to let it go for almost the price of just the kit is going for on ebay. Don't get fooled by buying it from www.rc-mushroom.com . Its an over see's company and shipping will kill you and then after you receive it you will get a bill in the mail from the government for import taxes of like 40 - 50 dollars. Just a word of warning. I took pictures of it and i can send you some ( just took them about 20 min ago and i'm getting 1 hour photo done on them now )

Mike
Old 11-25-2003, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

Schlitzinmymitts,

Haven't even run the car yet and you're giving up on it?

It really is a POS! I tell you what.........I'll give you $50 for it.

LOL!!

Need my shipping address?
Old 11-25-2003, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

i think you forgot to put a 4 in front of that 50, then you can give me your addy.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

i think kmac stalks me on the internet waiting for me to offer my car for 50 dollars to him, so he can have the hopups of the E-Class on his Racer edition
Old 11-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Hey, thanks for all the help, I am pretty much sticking with the G4. it just seems right for me and I like to have a car that not everyone has, like the mtx-3. It may be harder to find help, but i know at the tm website they answer all the questions and are very helpful. One of the main reasons that the G4 is not as big as the mtx-3 is that Trinity is the worst company for marketing the car and providing support.
Also, on the new kits, team magic is including a larger 75cc fuel tank.
btw, are there any good fm computer radios for under 150? Thanks

bballer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.