R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Converted 18cvrx to bump start, now won't start

Hey guys. I bought a used NTC3 about half a year ago, it was a pull start with a weird rear exhaust (the pipe was mounted in the rear, not the engine).

I got a regular side exhaust header for it, mounted it up the right way, got a regular backing plate for it with a new O ring, cleaned it up and put it all together. Now I can't get it started

Before it would start ok I guess, had to put some fuel in the carb to start it but not too much trouble, wasn't great though seemed like it lacked some power..

Compression seems good, I didn't touch needles but tried resetting them without luck. Glow plug/heater good (tried swapping). I tried pouring fuel into carb but it would still not start

When I converted, I ground off the pull start pin on the crank. I did it inside the engine, but washed it thoroughly.

Any idea what it could be? I'm from 1 to 2 turns (tried both) out on the high speed, 1.5 in from flush on the side setting. It doesn't sound like its catching a spark, might ignite here and there while on the starter box but nothing really

I'm not an expert on nitro but have been trying to learn all the in's and out's for the last few months, obviously haven't learned enough yet.

Thanks for any help
spawn_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Open the high speed more,another full turn at least. And take the low speed out to flush. Is the plug wet when your trying to start it? Cant believe you cut the crank inside the engine.
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizby View Post
Open the high speed more,another full turn at least. And take the low speed out to flush. Is the plug wet when your trying to start it? Cant believe you cut the crank inside the engine.
plug is wet all right, I cleared it out a couple times because I thought maybe it has too much fuel.. low speed needle to flush, haven't tried that, will do. thanks

Yeah I know it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but I am pretty good with the dremel and did a neat job.. I cleaned out the shavings real well with a ton of WD40.

I mean its tight, so its not like compression disappeared

I haven't tested for leaks yet, that will be the next step
Old 03-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Wait a minute this is a side exhaust engine? Did you have the piston out of it?
Alot of side exhaust engines have a hole in the piston. If you put the piston in backwards it will never start.
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

side exhaust .18 CVR with a slide carb.

I did not take the piston out - the head bolts are stuck and one is stripped at the top, that's why I didn't take the motor apart...

Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I hate to ask anyone to do this... But it can be a necessary evil.

Put your nose above your jug of fuel and breathe in slightly... Tap the side of the jug... If your nose doesn't tingle or your eyes don't water, could be bad fuel. In the summer heat, or with extreme climate changes, fuel can go bad quickly.

Also, pull the glow plug out, put it on your ignitor and blow on it... If the element loses the glow, your plug or your ignitor may be bad...

Then, check your carb to make sure you have a slight gap with the idle screw to make sure it's getting enough air to start. A good starting point is around a 1/32nd of an inch, or a hair more.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Hmm, I'm not sure how long the fuel has been in the tank, that's not a bad suggestion, the car's been sitting around for a while including the sun too

I'll give that a try first thing tomorrow, Thanks!
Old 03-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

you know what, scratch that. I changed the fuel no change. I then checked the pinch without a glow plug with the engine warmed up (heat gun) and there was none, so I guess that's that.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:47 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Ok bear with me guys please, I'm trying to figure it out and expand my knowledge of these engines..

It seemed to go back and fourth pretty smoothly without a glow plug, but it has a big flywheel on. I took the whole motor apart (drilled out head bolts) and the piston does not go through the sleeve easily at all, in fact by hand I had a hard time pushing it through completely.

I heated the brass sleeve up to maybe mid 100s, and it was still pretty tight going through. The piston, sleeve, and button look pretty good, in fact like it hasn't been ran much at all, the rest of the engine is pretty clean.

From what I've read, bad pinch is when you can push it through easy, which is different than what I am seeing?

Also, when trying to start it up, it was vaporizing fuel out of the carb.. spraying it out in fine mist sometimes I want to say it may have tried to ignite and spin the other way (jerked off the started box as I was holding it)

Anyone got any clues? I really don't want to just give up and would like to figure it out and become knowledgable. I want to say it might have been rich but I tried leaning out and it still wouldn't start.. it should at least start, right?

also if it makes any difference, fuel would flow back to the tank from the carb right away, it would not "hold" in the fuel tubing like my other nitros, as soon as I stopped trying to start it, fuel goes right back in.

I appreciate anyone willing to give some pointers
Old 03-18-2009, 04:32 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

that means there is an air leak check the Gasket on the Exhaust, all the O-rings and check the Fuel tank, also are u sure u dont have the Starter Wheel spinning the wrong way, because no matter how hard u try it will always wont to spin the other way when it starts (if ur wheel isnt spinning in the right direction).

just a thought.

Mitchell
==== Pro Buggy Rc, Pitsworth - for all my RC needs =====
NiTrO BoOsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote