R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5
Unhappy help me dont know wat kind of serpent this is

this my friends serpent and he gave it to me and i dont know wat kind it is
Attached Thumbnails
help me dont know wat kind of serpent this is-cimg1439.jpg   help me dont know wat kind of serpent this is-cimg1442.jpg  
neres818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Serpent-Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,850
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

From the pics it looks like an old Exel or impact 1. One thing for sure it will be a treasure hunt looking for parts for either car as they are both about 12yrs old. Good luck.
__________________
Inf1nity CM Beat1 Racing

Last edited by Serpent-Dan; 03-12-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Serpent-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 46
Default

That is a serpent impulse..
no question in my mind. I own one.
thewood1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
Serpent-Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,850
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

The pic is too small for me to get a better look at it. Even if it is an impulse it will still be very hard to find parts I also have a complete one with spares.
__________________
Inf1nity CM Beat1 Racing
Serpent-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #5
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 46
Default

Very true. That car started the basic design theme we see in most competition chassis today. Mugens mtx2 was neary a carbon copy of it. Parts are definately scarce these days.
thewood1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #6
Tech Elite
 
fastharry™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Posts: 2,846
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™
Default

Ron Bosco at Cruizin RC's in Waldwick NJ bought the last run of Impulse kits( including the PRO's and all)...


He has new kits, tons of parts etc....


Still a great car.....


His phone number is

201 445 8080 Ask for Ron when you call, and tell him Fastharry™ sent you from RC tech..
__________________
www.fastharry.com---search "fastharry" on facebook
See Fastharry in Super Nitro racing at the HPI CHALLENGE...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzo-cBEnE0c
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 46
Default

fastharry... you are the man!
thewood1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #8
Tech Elite
 
fastharry™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Posts: 2,846
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewood1987 View Post
fastharry... you are the man!


I know....



You should give him a call. Ron LOVES all his Serpent cars, and he loved his Impulse.....

I think he broke a lot of the kits up for parts, and it's been a few years, but I know he still has a ton of parts...and I am pretty sure he still has new kits...


bythe way..here is my impulse...

You should call him...he opens at 12 eastern.....Saturday are a little rough, as he does Mini z racing.......


If you plan on calling, let me know...I will give him the heads up...
Attached Thumbnails
help me dont know wat kind of serpent this is-impulse-lola-2.jpg  
__________________
www.fastharry.com---search "fastharry" on facebook
See Fastharry in Super Nitro racing at the HPI CHALLENGE...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzo-cBEnE0c
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewood1987 View Post
Mugens mtx2 was neary a carbon copy of it.
I would disagree with that. The MTX-2 had a very different belt/drivetrain layout. It was actually more like an HPI with pivot balls,

The MTX-3 went to the conventional layout they all use now.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:47 AM   #10
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry™ View Post
I know....



You should give him a call. Ron LOVES all his Serpent cars, and he loved his Impulse.....

I think he broke a lot of the kits up for parts, and it's been a few years, but I know he still has a ton of parts...and I am pretty sure he still has new kits...


bythe way..here is my impulse...

You should call him...he opens at 12 eastern.....Saturday are a little rough, as he does Mini z racing.......


If you plan on calling, let me know...I will give him the heads up...
My buddy is going to be shadowing me this season at our local 1/10 onroad club races. He recently broke the front right hub carrier. So far you have provided the most promising info regarding serpent parts. He might even order an impulse pro in its entirety?
So I think it would be safe to expect a call from him in the next week or so. Ive got a random ? for u fastharry, I have been outa the loop since 05, and now all the chassis are unfamiliar to me. I know everyone in rc follows the crowd and goes with the common chassis. My ? for u is, has the technology advanced enough in the past 5 years to make the ft ntc3 uncompetitive? I am going to get a modern chassis soon, but should I be expecting to have my ass handed to me by the new xrays and 3r's and whatever else? I know its a tough and thoroughly beaten subject, which is why it requires someone with widespead knowledge like yourself to satisfy me.
Regards
Jason
thewood1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:56 AM   #11
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I would disagree with that. The MTX-2 had a very different belt/drivetrain layout. It was actually more like an HPI with pivot balls,

The MTX-3 went to the conventional layout they all use now.
I stand corrected
If I remember correctly, the serpent impulse was one of the first 1/10 with pivot ball suspension. Before this, the kyosho spyder mk2 world cup was car to beat, not pivot ball susp, and was no competition for the impulse. I remember seeing many mtx2s at the races and was amazed at how blatantly similer the geometry was.
thewood1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:22 AM   #12
Tech Elite
 
fastharry™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Posts: 2,846
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewood1987 View Post
My buddy is going to be shadowing me this season at our local 1/10 onroad club races. He recently broke the front right hub carrier. So far you have provided the most promising info regarding serpent parts. He might even order an impulse pro in its entirety?
So I think it would be safe to expect a call from him in the next week or so. Ive got a random ? for u fastharry, I have been outa the loop since 05, and now all the chassis are unfamiliar to me. I know everyone in rc follows the crowd and goes with the common chassis. My ? for u is, has the technology advanced enough in the past 5 years to make the ft ntc3 uncompetitive? I am going to get a modern chassis soon, but should I be expecting to have my ass handed to me by the new xrays and 3r's and whatever else? I know its a tough and thoroughly beaten subject, which is why it requires someone with widespead knowledge like yourself to satisfy me.
Regards
Jason


you have a NTC3 now?...

btw, here are my NTC3's..one of which I still have..
Attached Thumbnails
help me dont know wat kind of serpent this is-tc-3-chassi.jpg  
__________________
www.fastharry.com---search "fastharry" on facebook
See Fastharry in Super Nitro racing at the HPI CHALLENGE...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzo-cBEnE0c

Last edited by fastharry™; 03-16-2009 at 12:10 PM.
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
Tech Elite
 
Serpent-Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,850
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

I think it depends on what ur gonna do with the car, if ur just bashing in a parking lot then cool stick with the impulse until u can't find anymore parts. But if you plan on racing then sure ur gonna get it handed to you by the newer cars. I would say not to spend too much on a older kit.
__________________
Inf1nity CM Beat1 Racing
Serpent-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:13 PM   #14
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry™ View Post
you have a NTC3 now?...

btw, here are my NTC3's..one of which I still have..
Yes fastharry, I have an ntc3 now with a fresh new mugen mt12. It is pretty dialed Im hoping, Im running 21/54 27/48 gears with barry bakers tokyo? setup i think. So far our first club race was rained out so I have yet to see how she will compare. Yours look pretty clean. Did you keep the rubber chassis or the foam?
Jason
thewood1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #15
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan View Post
I think it depends on what ur gonna do with the car, if ur just bashing in a parking lot then cool stick with the impulse until u can't find anymore parts. But if you plan on racing then sure ur gonna get it handed to you by the newer cars. I would say not to spend too much on a older kit.
Thankyou serpentdan. That is exactly the type of insight I am asking for here. However I already kinda figured the impulse would have its ass handed to it. My buddy will be using that as a sportsman class get his feet wet kinda thing. I will be using a ft ntc3 which I described in the above post. What is your take with this.
Regards,
Jason
thewood1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:25 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net