R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-25-2003, 07:46 PM   #16
Tech Regular

i wanted a car that no one else had too but i'm starting not to like the idea of ordering parts and waiting a damn week and a half to get them. I don't have a local hobby shop so i guess it doesn't matter what car i get but i must admit trinity is the hardest to find parts for, especially the G4
budlightnmyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 07:57 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Um, you can get an ok radio for 150 but if this is your first car i would spend more money on a radio than on the car. Reason being, once you spend the money on a good radio and servo's you never have to get new ones unless they break. If your going to spend that much on a G4 kit, then might as well get a good radio, or it won't be worth getting that expensive or good of a car. Might i add from my last post you must get a radio with a MICRO Receiver or it will not fit correctly, mine sticks out almost to the point where it hits the body, i'll post pics here tomorrow to show you.
Mike
Old 11-25-2003, 10:22 PM   #18
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
Originally posted by bballer
Hey, thanks for all the help, I am pretty much sticking with the G4. it just seems right for me and I like to have a car that not everyone has, like the mtx-3. It may be harder to find help, but i know at the tm website they answer all the questions and are very helpful. One of the main reasons that the G4 is not as big as the mtx-3 is that Trinity is the worst company for marketing the car and providing support.
Also, on the new kits, team magic is including a larger 75cc fuel tank.
btw, are there any good fm computer radios for under 150? Thanks

bballer
Just one advice, Make sure you LHS stock enough spare parts! a friend of mine jump into the G4,(dont get me wrong, I am not saying it is not a good car, in fact I like it myself) but he couldnt find enough replacement parts!

Just my $0.02
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 03:02 AM   #19
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to sausage_link

If i were you i wouldn't jump into the deep end so quick...
You may have been racing electric cars but that doesn't mean you should go out and buy an all out nitro race car, it would be best if you went and bought something like a V-one S or a FW-05S, two kits that dont come RTR but include a engine and the rest. most hobby shops will sell them in a package deal with all the radio gear.

Your best off buying something with good parts support in your area as well, theres no point in buying a G4 if no one in your area will get or have parts for it.

My two cents
sausage_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 06:14 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Here are some pics of my car Its a G4 pro
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ct.jpg (179.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 11-26-2003, 06:16 AM   #21
Tech Regular

another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cs.jpg (98.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 11-26-2003, 08:26 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Quote:

TomKelley--I live about an hour from Detroit, and even though nitro season is over, are there any indoor tracks near the area? the closest track i have heard of is Lazer?? speedway up maybe near brighton, but its outdoor. Thanks a lot

bballer
Hey, My first reply was just a quick one, didn't have time to get in depth, because I thought a lot of people would have a lot of different suggestions. I hope you didn't take it as a rude reply. Your choice in the G4 is a good one, many racers at my club run it. I have one and a yokomo GT4. Both cars work great, the G4 handled great out of the box. Other racers have been successfull with MTx3's, LD3's and NTC3's. I'm also Looking at the 710 for next year.

I live in Detroit, and the club I'm president of has one of the largest onroad racing tracks in the SE Michigan area. My drive to the site we race in is also pretty far. We get people coming in from Canada as well, so its not uncommon to travel for an hour to get to a track. Lazer I have never been to so I will refrain from commenting. We still setup our track for each race, and working towards building a permanent track. Larry's performance RC's is where I and most of my members hibernate for the winter, they have an indoor carpet track that is pretty good. Larry's is located in Sterling Heights. The parking lot we race in is at a Wal-Mart in Sterling Heights.

For the DRCCC, My goal for next year is to host races every 2 weeks at least, the Midwest Series, a charity race for Children's Miracle Network, a points series, and a trophy race. If you come out to any one of our races, you're sure to have a good time, and get lots of good input from other racers. When I first started out, these guys helped me out tremendously. I do wish I would have met them at a race before I got a car.

Take a look at our website, the link is on my sig.

TK
Old 11-26-2003, 11:33 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Hey TomKelley, I live in rochester and larrys is my lhs. I have been there a few times running carpet with my xxx-s G+. Most of the time I just set up a cone course outside and practice on that. Now that b-ball is starting, I won't be able to go there often, but maybe I can make it every day during christmas break.

After thinking about all the helpful comments, I have decided that I may for now ask for everything minus the radio for Christmas, and then by the time bball season is over i will get a good radio. I will take my time building the kit in the winter and make sure i understand it all, one of the problems i had w/ my first car, the tc3.

sausage_link, I dont want rtr, in my mind it is not a good way to get into rc, especially nitro. I can always take ithe g4 to my lhs and ask for help.

anyway, here is my updated car

TM G4 e-class
mugen mt12
tm x-5 starter box
rd logics tuned pipe (the one atushi hara used)
I will hold off on a radio for now, but how much should i expect to spend on a radio and 2 servos?

Later,

bballer
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:49 PM   #24
Tech Addict

bballer,

I hope you might consider racing at our club next year, I think you'll find it to be the best location for you. If so, keep your eyes peeled at Larry's for announcements about the DRCCC, or through the website, or shoot me an email to [email protected] so I can put you on the email list. I'm planning on starting a for sale board to help people ramp up for next season. I actually will have a few things for sale lol. I'm usually at Larry's racing fridays and sundays, so that is a good place to talk about it too. Even though most people are racing electric, you can still talk about nitro stuff to them.

As far as your radio goes, a racer in toledo has a good deal on one going, I could hook you up with that too.

TK
Old 11-27-2003, 07:00 AM   #25
Tech Master

Quote:
Hey, thanks for all the help, I am pretty much sticking with the G4.
Good choice.. when ordering, do not forget to also buy optional Kfactory aluminum steering post (where the servo saver are). You will need this soon enough as the standard one will not last long (too much slops and will jammed at some points).

Throughout the use, just built as per manual setup and you will enjoy the car, change all the worn parts with options. I like the A Arms, they are the hardest one I've seen.

Be advice, if you hop it all up at once with full Kfactory parts, it will almost triple the original car price BTW, it also happened to most other manufacturer car, except serpent I believe (as they already built to last), but the spares cost a bomb
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote