R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

That should work just fine Jake.... make sure to give a follow up...
Traxxas Slash (Powerstrokes RPM) Mini T (full allumn)(ate all my tires)(awaiting replacement 1/10 wheel conversion) Tamiya TA03r-s (Roller status)(Sits in a BOX) TYCO Mutator (1st love)(collecting dust in the shed)
TIZAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #17
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake C6R View Post
Mika, holy crap that is the real deal. Very nice indeed, I'll bet it is a blast to play with!
Cheers Jake
Indeed!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #18
Tech Addict

I need an UPDATE NOW!!!
Traxxas Slash (Powerstrokes RPM) Mini T (full allumn)(ate all my tires)(awaiting replacement 1/10 wheel conversion) Tamiya TA03r-s (Roller status)(Sits in a BOX) TYCO Mutator (1st love)(collecting dust in the shed)
Old 09-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Update! It's alive! Well I tried it on this huge gravel and dirt parking lot and it goes really well! No problems with suspension travel and I didn't hear it bottom out. It really makes the dirt and gravel fly and is very fun to power slide!

The only thing I think I will change is to remove the aluminum tape on the bottom. It keeps out some debris but I think the reduced airflow kept the engine running a little on the hot side, especially when doing a lot of WOT for extended periods. I think that air coming through the bottom helps a little bit when the body is on. I'll let you know!

I would definitely do this if you have an extra NTC3 sitting around!
Jake C6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

I wouldnt do that. you will be killing transmissions with even the smallest pebel. we have to blow the parking lots everymorning before track setup for our onroad races and we still get tiny pebbles murdering spurs.

id leave the alu tape on, and just cut more /bigger holes int he windows of your body. you should have a big one in the front for fuel anyway, most of us just cut the whole rear window out. shouldnt have any problems with cooling then.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #21
Tech Master

Awesome Jake.

I've also been working on rally cars since the last update; I have now a a IGT1 based Subaru for gravel and dirt. Powersliding thru gravel and throwing dirt is awesome with a rallycross car. My rally features a 2-speed tranny with 14/18 gearing so I can run it on both, on and offroad just by changing tires. For mixed conditions we are testing the Proline Road Rage tires, my friend just gave very good news on them, myself haven't yet got the chance. I also got the Traxxas Ken Block last week, it's a fine car, too, and Kyosho just came out with a 2-speed tranny for their DRX series rally cars and a new model, the WRC Ford, is just about coming out, too.

Do I sense a little bit of rally boom?? Do it DiRT3 style!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
I wouldnt do that. you will be killing transmissions with even the smallest pebel. we have to blow the parking lots everymorning before track setup for our onroad races and we still get tiny pebbles murdering spurs.

id leave the alu tape on, and just cut more /bigger holes int he windows of your body. you should have a big one in the front for fuel anyway, most of us just cut the whole rear window out. shouldnt have any problems with cooling then.
I hear you, I get tiny pebbles just running on the street that grind their way between the teeth in the spur and sometimes take the pinion out as well. I have a big hole in the windshield and rear window but will probably add another in the back and see how it does!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaR View Post
Awesome Jake.

I've also been working on rally cars since the last update; I have now a a IGT1 based Subaru for gravel and dirt. Powersliding thru gravel and throwing dirt is awesome with a rallycross car. My rally features a 2-speed tranny with 14/18 gearing so I can run it on both, on and offroad just by changing tires. For mixed conditions we are testing the Proline Road Rage tires, my friend just gave very good news on them, myself haven't yet got the chance. I also got the Traxxas Ken Block last week, it's a fine car, too, and Kyosho just came out with a 2-speed tranny for their DRX series rally cars and a new model, the WRC Ford, is just about coming out, too.

Do I sense a little bit of rally boom?? Do it DiRT3 style!
Sounds fantastic! Would love to see a video of that 1GT1 in action! I would also like to know how those Road Rages do after you test them! I use the 40 series on my Revo on the street with great results, and they wear great. Are these the ones you are testing?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYKU7&P=7
Old 09-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #24
Tech Master

Yes!

Try to get some video.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:21 AM   #25
Tech Master

Pic of the Proline road rage rally tires under my italian rally (BMT). Not glued yet, just arrived.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Those look sicccck
Old 09-27-2011, 05:19 AM   #27
Tech Master

Cheers

Now glued ...... testing ahead

Old 09-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #28
Tech Master

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but today great gymkhana on wet tarmac on a construction yard with suitable obstacles there..

It really flies and drifts nicely. Sirio has awesome power with the centax clutch and 2013 pipe.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #29
Tech Regular

hey mika,

why did you take out the 2-speed? BTW cool wheel and tires
VexVegaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #30
Tech Master

Good question!

I'm saving it for track time. The change between 1-speed and 2-speed is easy, just changing the main axle and clutchbell.

Rallycross tires are also too large for 2-speed gearing; I'm using K Evolva parts and cannot find shorter ratio than 15/49 for the 1st gear. With rallycross tires I'm using 13T/52T with 1-speed, which is like 3-4 teeth shorter you see.

With 2-speed I use GRP or Ipanema GT/RG tires. The 15/49 and 19/44 on second is just perfect for those size of tires.

Anyhow on parking lots 2-speed is not needed on this car & motor, it revvs so high and is plenty fast. It would rarely change on 2nd and when it does the tire grip has to be relatively good to avoid bad accidents unless a very big lot which we don't have. Hence, track use only.

2-speed K parts are also expensive, pinions are lightweight alum and they wear fast on parking lots.

iRacing centax clutchbells are steel and practically wear free. Somehow also the spurs seem to last much longer than the Evolva spurs.
Maybe having 2 of them side-by-side increases the opportunity for small stones/pebbles to catch on and break gear teeth.

There also a thrust bearing inside the centax bell and like the other parts this one too seems to last many times longer with 1-speed bell than with the 2-speed Evolva bell. I've tried several types & sizes of thrust bearings and the result is always the same.

Hence it also makes sense to run 1-speed on dirty conditions saving the finer 2-speed gears for cleaner tracks for occasional track days. Italians seem to have done their homework on these cars ;-) They know how to make them last on such conditions.

Last edited by MikaR; 09-29-2011 at 12:53 PM.
MikaR is offline   Reply With Quote