R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-23-2003, 08:44 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to donthaveaclue
Default break in procedure

im new to all this and was wonering when i do get my first rc car, what is the proper break in procedure for best performance down the line i want the schumacher fusion rtr, but will u guys please let me know the procedures and or a good car with a good price, ive seen the kyohsho fw 05r mentioned a few times, but can anyone recommend a chassis and everything else to get running, i would like this instead of a rtr, kinda makes u happy puttin it together yourself lol thanks
donthaveaclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 10:54 AM   #2
ND
Tech Adept

Your best bet is to go to your local hobby shop and see what cars they stock and make a choice from there. If your gonna race it see what the guys at your local club race.

Building a kit car yourself is always a good idea as if you break it you know how to take certain bits off and replace them!

As for breaking engines in, I just run them rich for 30-40mins gradually leaning the top end jet out until the engine runs cleanly, you should also always use a good quality fuel as it'll stop your engine wearing prematurly.

Good luck!
ND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 02:06 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to mtx3racer Send a message via AIM to mtx3racer

good advice, don't get the shumacher .21, its junk. The break in should usually be 1-2 tank idle, then slowly drive in circles/figure 8's whatever, then gradually increase throttle but don't keep it at the same throt. point. on...off.on....off.... By the 5 tank or so you should gradually lean the top end to get better performance. (clockwise). Hope this helps
mtx3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:16 PM   #4
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default Re: break in procedure

Quote:
Originally posted by donthaveaclue
im new to all this and was wonering when i do get my first rc car, what is the proper break in procedure for best performance down the line i want the schumacher fusion rtr, but will u guys please let me know the procedures and or a good car with a good price, ive seen the kyohsho fw 05r mentioned a few times, but can anyone recommend a chassis and everything else to get running, i would like this instead of a rtr, kinda makes u happy puttin it together yourself lol thanks
Using the Serpent Run-In Bench (#3400) makes it a lot quicker and easier to run-in the engine. Richen the main needle by turn, amd run the engine for 10 minutes at low RPM. Then run the engine for an additional 15 minutes at medium-high RPM at the same richness setting.
Install the engine in your car, and run the car through 3 more tanks of fuel while adjusting the carburetor to achieve a good top-speed.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:18 PM   #5
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default engine breaking in car

Running-in the engine in the car.

Running-in the engine while running the car takes more time and requires more self-control (to avoid over-revving the engine). However, it allows the driveline components of the car to operate together for the first time under controlled conditions.
Richen the fuel-mixture from the factory position by turning the main needle turn counter-clockwise (see page 8). Run the car up to half-speed (at MOST) using moderate acceleration. Do this for 4-5 tanks of fuel.
On the next 3 tanks of fuel, slowly increase the speed and acceleration, and start leaning the main needle setting to achieve a good top-speed setting. Lean the main needle setting by turning the needle clockwise.

NOTE: When you adjust the carburetor settings, make adjustments in very small increments, since the engine is very responsive to small changes in mixture settings.

Your engine should be completely run-in after approximately 8 tanks of fuel (1 hour).
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote