R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-01-2002, 08:35 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to vthondaboi Send a message via Yahoo to vthondaboi
Default question concerning foam and runner tires

well I am new to the sport and already want to upgrade my hpi nitro rs4 to something better...I've heard that if I use a foam tire setup I will need to buy a trie shredder of some sort to cut,shave, or shred the tires down to the right size?...these machines cost $400 so that's not chump change but yet I've never heard of them netion on the forums I visit....what are you guys opinions about this?...is it really necessasry to have a tire shredder?
vthondaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 08:42 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Are you talking about a tire truer? You should use one if you're running foams to make sure that all the tires are the correct diameter and have any or no camber taper (whichever you prefer).

As for the price, Hudy sells manual tire truers that can be bought for less than $300 (more like $250 ~$275, IIRC). The fully automatic Hudy is around $400+, IIRC. Other brands are even cheaper.

I run rubber right now, but the GT-4R was intended for foams. I plan on trying foams this weekend and seeing how it goes. If I like them that much, I will probably invest in a tire truer pretty soon.

By the way, I am also from Arlington.
71dsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 08:47 AM   #3
Tech Regular

oh tight dude I talked to someone from ft worth last night too...RCCADET I believe and he was very helpful....I need t o find more people like y'all to bother the heck out of...

so can the serpent impulse run with rubber tires? or was it the impact....but what I'm getting at is with the 1/10 on road class cars that come equipped with foam tires can you put rubber tires on them?
Old 02-01-2002, 09:08 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

The Impact is 1/10 on road (235mm wide) and it is made for foams, and I don't believe that they make rubber tires that large or that wide. I was considering the Impact as well, but maybe for my next car.

As for the Impulse, it's a 1/10 touring (200mm wide), and it can use rubber or foams.

I have e-mailed RCCadet a few times. He seems like a very nice guy. I have never met him, though.
71dsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 09:57 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

I would get a Hudy tire truer when competing. There are a number of racers that have them so they will assist you until you buy your own.

When it comes to your first race, much of the time is spent controlling your car, developing the skill, and learning the new tips and tricks from the guy you pit next to. Just come out and things will fall into place. Run the Novice class. When you are ready jump into the class your car is meant for, it will be real competition. No pressure though! I know there are first-timer jitters. By the end of the first run you will be hooked!

Much of these guys are gearing up for Regionals, National events, and the Texas Biggie, but they are down to earth and want to help. Did you know we have plans for a permanent track to open this year?! Get into gear now so you can make the transition to a track that will be a world-wide attraction.

vthondaboi: when you asked me about the tire truer, I was some what linear in thought in respects to 1/10 electric, it is recommended for nitro but have seen little use of it for electrics around here. I have seen wider rubber tires but don't recall where, I saw a set last year on a car. The minimal cost of foam wheels probably phased out production of the rubber wheels.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:46 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Hey where's the new track going to be at? You have any idea of the layout of the new track, such as indoor, carpet, and etc?
Old 02-01-2002, 12:53 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

It's an outdoor track with a grass in field. Go to http://www.RCRCNT.com for more info.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:23 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Cool

Hey vthondaboi

I'd get an Ofna tire truer(lathe). About $250 not including arbors. Arbors are around $20-25 each. It'll do everything the Top of the line Hudy, but at half the price...

Keep the Rubber(or Foam)on the Road!!!

Bradley J. Gotori
[email protected]
bgotori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 02:27 PM   #9
Tech Regular

bgotori

thanks for the tip..you have any website links..those would be gratly apprecieated...also are their any websites about tire trueing?...i find it weird that such an important part of the car's handling is rarely spoken of
Old 02-01-2002, 06:26 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Hey vthondaboi

It really depends on the the Track your running on(Short tight or Long open) , the Car gearing(not Tranny), and the Over/Under drive you want.

As far as cutting tires, standard is about 5mm difference between Front to rear(Front being smaller… hehehe). All the Serpent, Picco, Mugen 1/10-1/8 scale kits have this information included(ratio guide). The guys at the Track, that are cutting tires will help you out.

My Yokomo GT4R had a ratio scale included.

Ofna ‘s WebSite is

http://www.ofna.com/

Their info is very short(Really no Info)...

If your looking to buy one try Steve at SpeedTechRC e-mail him. I think he can get it for you, and his prices are Great!!!

SpeedTechRC WebSite is

http://64.70.208.72/speedtechrc/1.html

Or try NitroHouse. If their not having some kind of sale there the cheapest(20% off retail). But there always having a Sale… When you call them make sure you ask for the Racers Discount(20%) this is on purchases over $100 or $200 forgot which one. The reason NitroHouse is cheaper, there in the same building as Ofna.

NitroHouse WebSite is

http://www.nitrohouse.com/

Bradley J. Gotori
[email protected]
Old 02-01-2002, 06:28 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Dont forget foams need a little more neg camber than rubber. I've started using foams and dont have a truer yet.
I've keep track of my camber so I get even wear, and longer life. Gonna have to break down someday.
Foger Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 06:35 PM   #12
Tech Regular

cool thanks for all the help guys
Old 02-01-2002, 06:39 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Hey vthondaboi

Forgot to mention that the New Ofna Tire lathe will cut at a taper, so you can cut camber on the Foam.

Foger Rox is right about that, but it also depends on the Foam hardness and what Camber, Caster, and Toe-in. your using.

Yea, it can be a science in itself...hahaha If your in Florida just go to the Serpent Track. I've watched guys there spend all day cutting and trying tires. Then watch Mike Salvan(spelling???) come out there and SMOKE EVERYONE on old tires!!! hehehe Soooooooooo hahaha

Bradley J. Gotori
[email protected]
Old 02-01-2002, 07:09 PM   #14
Tech Regular

do you have any opinions as to what foam tire car and a rubber tire car i should run...yes i know i should get something so that parts isn't an issue but the only car parts around here are associated and serpent for the higher end touring cars..i would very much like to consider other brands such as a mugen or picco and etc
Old 02-01-2002, 07:38 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

Cool Ofna #20000 tire truer

The OFNA tire truer is as good as the Hudy one the hudy has a fuse on the front. THe OFNA one at my LHS was going for $240.00 brand new.But hudy has adjustable truing angle 0°-2° what ever thats for. I get my ellegi sedan tires for $12.00 a pair. Im going with the Hudy power tire truer. For my sedan,impact and vector tires
Racer 1 is offline   Reply With Quote