Wiki Posts
Search

Carbon chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Carbon chassis?

Hey,

What would happen if I made a carbon chassis for my 1:10 nitro, would it kill the engine or ruin balance due to weight loss?

Has anyone tried that and failed or succeeded?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

I believe heat is disipated through the aluminum chassis.
I know my chassis is quite hot after a long run. Might need to find another way to bleed off that heat.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gerner
Hey,

What would happen if I made a carbon chassis for my 1:10 nitro, would it kill the engine or ruin balance due to weight loss?

Has anyone tried that and failed or succeeded?
I have worked with this for about 3 1/2 years with a touring car and also another 3 -4 years with pan cars. Look at this link to answer some questions........ I have done this for the MTX3 MTX4 and the NT1 with success and without having a temp issue....actualy lowered the temps because of the disipitation of the carbon fiber. Even when cutting the carbon fiber dry with high speed tooling, it remains cool to the touch.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/5469422-post3814.html

Last edited by rcfoolz; 02-23-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: added the missing link
Old 02-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I actually still have the MTX4 carbon chassis that James (rcfoolz) sent to me for testing. I was almost positive that I would engine temp issues but I didn't. Now, I will say that without changing anything else my car did traction roll a bit easier than with the aluminun chassis.

My guess is that if I had done some other setup changes I might have been able to make the car good. Also, I was running on a high bite VHT track at the time. With a low bit track, the carbon fiber chassis might have actually been better.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
I have worked with this for about 3 1/2 years with a touring car and also another 3 -4 years with pan cars. Look at this link to answer some questions........ I have done this for the MTX3 MTX4 and the NT1 with success and without having a temp issue....actualy lowered the temps because of the disipitation of the carbon fiber. Even when cutting the carbon fiber dry with high speed tooling, it remains cool to the touch.
Thanks, but what is the link?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

there is some fresh information about carbon chassis in the xray forum
Old 02-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would stick with aluminum.... The car is gonna be top heavy not unless you add weight back to the chasis which defeats the purpose of CF chasis...

CF also tends to delaminate when it is dragged enough and It will eventually splinter....
Old 02-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Francis M.
I would stick with aluminum.... The car is gonna be top heavy not unless you add weight back to the chasis which defeats the purpose of CF chasis...

CF also tends to delaminate when it is dragged enough and It will eventually splinter....
100% correct, it will delaminate.

When I built the first one 3 1/5 years ago, I had a source on Associated Chassis Protector, a .5mm thick sheet of teflon that covered the chassis from front to rear. The car that I had built it for had more mods done to it so that the wieght of the car was lowered. Some may remember some of what I had done. I had lowered the radio deck 2mm along with the fuel tank an additional 2mm (4mm total) and the bulkeads had been modded for 1.5mm lower stance at the bottom along with everthing that attached to the top was lowered an additional 1mm, making the car thinner than the current NT1. With the aluminum chassis, I used this car to win the "C" main in the 2006 Winternats and did not take a bump to the "B"...I was the only non sponsored driver in the top 30 that year in sedan. The Roll-center bridge, shock towers and radio deck had all been made specific to that car to lower the CG and wieght. The car was a lot of work and to undertake the amount of time to modify it was 2 months. It however did handle very well and one thing that I remember was that I had almost no tire wear and everybody was having tire wear issues that year.

Sorry for the long story, but if anybody is considering converting to one, rember that your current setup won't work and you will have to change your setup mechanicly to lower CG and roll center. I'm just suprized to see that a mainline mfg is making them now.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
100% correct, it will delaminate.

When I built the first one 3 1/5 years ago, I had a source on Associated Chassis Protector, a .5mm thick sheet of teflon that covered the chassis from front to rear. The car that I had built it for had more mods done to it so that the wieght of the car was lowered. Some may remember some of what I had done. I had lowered the radio deck 2mm along with the fuel tank an additional 2mm (4mm total) and the bulkeads had been modded for 1.5mm lower stance at the bottom along with everthing that attached to the top was lowered an additional 1mm, making the car thinner than the current NT1. With the aluminum chassis, I used this car to win the "C" main in the 2006 Winternats and did not take a bump to the "B"...I was the only non sponsored driver in the top 30 that year in sedan. The Roll-center bridge, shock towers and radio deck had all been made specific to that car to lower the CG and wieght. The car was a lot of work and to undertake the amount of time to modify it was 2 months. It however did handle very well and one thing that I remember was that I had almost no tire wear and everybody was having tire wear issues that year.

Sorry for the long story, but if anybody is considering converting to one, rember that your current setup won't work and you will have to change your setup mechanicly to lower CG and roll center. I'm just suprized to see that a mainline mfg is making them now.
Dude, thanks

I think i will try it out just for the fun since I spend a lot of energy to make the car as light as possible.

I know shocks should be configured for lower weight, but how about the diffs, stock mine are with very thick oil, how thin should it be if just for an examble the car weighs in at 1500 grams?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Gerner
Dude, thanks

I think i will try it out just for the fun since I spend a lot of energy to make the car as light as possible.

I know shocks should be configured for lower weight, but how about the diffs, stock mine are with very thick oil, how thin should it be if just for an examble the car weighs in at 1500 grams?
What you are going to find is that thicker diff fluid or even a spool in the front is going to help more than thinner oil.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

that mtx3 looks awfully familiar
Old 02-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE
that mtx3 looks awfully familiar
Hmmm....yep
Old 02-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

James ... are you still making these? ... they sound like a bit of fun.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

HK was release carbon graphite for NT-1 ,
it's from HK Top driver release ,
his point is lower CG & LW, cool down is from air in your body window hole .
but life is shorter than Alum. , fit for not have more bump driver in race .

http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....m07p33fh6gc9o6
Old 02-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by getpip
James ... are you still making these? ... they sound like a bit of fun.
I can send you "my" MTX4 chassis if James doesn't have any. I still have mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.