R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-20-2003, 04:40 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to loosenut

With all due respect to all of you os fans. I can't stand people comparing engines without considering the many variables involved here. If you ARE gonna compare engines then you MUST set every other variables or parameters the same. You can lean out your engine to get longer run time...but you may risk ashortening the engine life. That doesn't get at whether if os tr is a faster engine or not.

Reliability - hands down - os is up there. Nova base engine ain't bad either.

But for those of you who say that you've beaten other engines with your os tr does not mean JACK! All that tells me is that you are a better driver than the other drivers running with ya at the time...or your car is setup better. But to say it's because of the engine...dont know guys..that's a little much. I'd be curious to find out your lap times on the SAME car w/same setup with your os tr and another nova/rb/sirio engines with YOU being the same driver. Very curious...then we can see some real results.

I know what the os can do cause I've owned one and sold it because it just ain't fast enough. I don't know about tr turbo..cause we don't allow turbo engine where I run.

G

Last edited by loosenut; 11-20-2003 at 04:50 PM.
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 07:45 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi loosenut, I know the direction ur pointing at...i agree with u on ur statement..'If you ARE gonna compare engines then you MUST set every other variables or parameters the same. You can lean out your engine to get longer run time...but you may risk ashortening the engine life. '

without a doubt...nova based engine are very fast in the top end...I experienced it..half way thru the st8 i'm smelling their smoke...hahaha ...I was comparing the run time betwn os n nova..not speed...

lap times are definietly quicker on a nova engine... with me using a os engine with a longer period of refuel time i can squeeze in a few laps to make up for the losts of speed...u wuldn't know what will happen when ur going into the pits...engine flameouts...blockage by frnt cars...etc...anyway my engine has gone for 4 races n i hvn't seen any sign of wear...top end 1 1/2 rds frm close low end cuts when idling for more 10 sec's refuel time 7 1/2 mins...am I running lean?
Sorry to hear tat u can't run the TR turbo..cos I don't like the 3 porters..
glad to exchange views with you ....... cheers mate..
vones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 08:02 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

loosenut, howz' the sts D5 performance...I've yet to run in tis baby....the heatsink is fantastic....superb cooling...try it on your nova engine...don't know if it fits...I tried it on my os drilled the hole where the turbo button sits 1mm larger....u really must try it...
vones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 05:20 AM   #34
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default os tr

Quote:
Originally posted by vones
I hve 2 of these OS-TR-T....1 for practice n the other for race.....1 thing I can tell you is you'll beat everybody who are using Nova, RB or Sirio in refuelling time.....7 mins minimum...Once I even went to 8 1/2 mins...with the mid jet all the way screw in...on average the Italian engine last ard 5+ to 6mins(in S'pore)with the spare 1.5 mins you can squeeze in 1-2 laps if you are running a 7 mins heats without refuelling....and not forgetting if you're running in a main...whereby every sec's count.....45 mins main with OS pit stop is aver. 7 stops.....whereas Italian's will be ard 10 stops...refuelling time n slowing down into pits aver. 6 sec's with good mechanics.....And of course reliabilty....its a nightmare when your engine is giving you trouble in a race especially when you're in contention.... All said....it all depends on what kind of tracks you run on large high speed tracks(Italian's) or small, medium technical tracks(OS)...
point well said
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 07:57 AM   #35
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well O.S. got back to me. Looks like all I would need to go from tr to tr turbo, would be a new head and inner head(button) and of course glow plug. I've got to hit O.S engine central (Towerhobbies) so I can see how much the new head and button will run. If their too much, I'll probably just sell the tr and buy a new tr turbo.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:08 AM   #36
Regional Moderator

Strange

Its strange that O.S. says that I would need a new head to convert to the turbo. The turbo and the regular TR use the same head. Thats what I initially thought, but I wanted to check the part numbers to be sure. Sure enough, they're the same head. That means all I would need is the head button. This could be a cheaper conversion than I thought!
Old 11-21-2003, 09:36 AM   #37
Tech Regular

I might try that myself. I need some more power to keep up with Novarossi's people be passing me up with.
Aggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:43 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
Well O.S. got back to me. Looks like all I would need to go from tr to tr turbo, would be a new head and inner head(button) and of course glow plug. I've got to hit O.S engine central (Towerhobbies) so I can see how much the new head and button will run. If their too much, I'll probably just sell the tr and buy a new tr turbo.

putting the turbo button and head won't convert it to a full turbo engine

the tr turbo uses a diffrent cyl(5 port) and piston than the std 3 port tr..
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:48 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to loosenut

Quote:
Originally posted by vones
loosenut, howz' the sts D5 performance...I've yet to run in tis baby....the heatsink is fantastic....superb cooling...try it on your nova engine...don't know if it fits...I tried it on my os drilled the hole where the turbo button sits 1mm larger....u really must try it...
I had it long enough to almost break it in! Now I'm selling it..cause I just brought a MRX3 works and need money to furnish that. But I can tell that the D5 is one hella fast engine! The cooling head ..yeah!!! It runs cool too..

G
Old 11-22-2003, 04:57 AM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
putting the turbo button and head won't convert it to a full turbo engine

the tr turbo uses a diffrent cyl(5 port) and piston than the std 3 port tr..
I have both engines, 12TR & 12TR-Turbo. You can put all the parts from a Turbo into a normal 12TR. I found it more economical to buy an entire 12TR-Turbo, then put all the parts into my 12TR engine case. The black engine case is a dead give-away to anyone that know's the 12TR.

Parts needed to make it a 12TR-Turbo are simple. You do not need a new head, just the head button that you put the glow plug in. You will also need the 5-port piston sleeve. Since the sleeve is not sold separately, you have to get a piston & sleeve. The carb is not required to make it Turbo, but the 3-needle car will allow even better tuning and more consistent power compared the standard 12TR 2-needle carb.

Once you total up the parts you need to make a 12TR a Turbo, you are so close to the price of the entire 12TR-Turbo, that you might as well buy the entire 12TR-Turbo and get all the extra parts.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 12:47 PM   #41
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kn7671
I have both engines, 12TR & 12TR-Turbo. You can put all the parts from a Turbo into a normal 12TR. I found it more economical to buy an entire 12TR-Turbo, then put all the parts into my 12TR engine case. The black engine case is a dead give-away to anyone that know's the 12TR.

Parts needed to make it a 12TR-Turbo are simple. You do not need a new head, just the head button that you put the glow plug in. You will also need the 5-port piston sleeve. Since the sleeve is not sold separately, you have to get a piston & sleeve. The carb is not required to make it Turbo, but the 3-needle car will allow even better tuning and more consistent power compared the standard 12TR 2-needle carb.

Once you total up the parts you need to make a 12TR a Turbo, you are so close to the price of the entire 12TR-Turbo, that you might as well buy the entire 12TR-Turbo and get all the extra parts.
yeah, I've started to notice that. How different is it to tune a 3 needle carb compared to the 2 needle. Why does a carb need a 3rd needle when the 2 needle carb tunes so well as is?
Old 11-23-2003, 06:56 AM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Better Fuel Economy, and more precise fuel metering throughout the RPM range are the benefits of a 3-needle.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:55 PM   #43
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: OS .12 TR Sould I buy one

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
Yeah, but when RC Nitro tested it, it came out at about .98 hp. Not that I completely trust their test, but it is a good measuring point since they test several engines in the same manner.

Besides, how many engines actually put out what the manufacturer says? So if O.S. says its 1.1hp, I tend to think the test by RC Nitro's was pretty close to reality.
Hey guys if the OS TR 3 port is 1.1hp would anyone know what the OS TR-P(T) 5 port turbo engine max hp is? tried looking online but couldnt find any HP specs. And now im confused with this engine i once heard that this engine has no power in take off, yet lots of power in top end. Now reading this thread its the opposite you guys say it has lots of punch but not much top end... my track is small and technical so i desire a punch/good take off engine i know novarossi's are the best answer, but if i could save on a few bucks i'd like to get the OS TR-P(T) 5 port for its price and the reliability and long life factor!
Old 05-09-2004, 01:05 AM   #44
Tech Master

Quote:
my track is small and technical
where do you race?
Old 05-09-2004, 04:14 AM   #45
Tech Master

Hey luis
I practice at the kroma track. havent started racing yet but i will do 3 heats next sunday for some experience!