R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-18-2003, 01:00 PM   #16
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by loosenut
There you go. Mainly car setup and driving skills....I'm sure you can give barry baker any engine and he'll be competitive with it. But barry baker with an os tr(p) VS. barry baker with say a Ns12 or sirio with teh SAME car setup...who will win? Get my point?

G
yes i do
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 01:08 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Default Re: OS .12 TR Sould I buy one

Quote:
Originally posted by gijoe64
Hello, I am getting alot of conflicting reports on the OS .12 TR and I just wanted to get an honset opinion on this engine. Is it best on small tracks or large does it hold up to Siro and Nova Rossi. thanks.
also when is time for re-building you os tr you are looking at half the cost of a piston and sleeve of a novarossi or mugen motor
Old 11-18-2003, 01:51 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Default Re: Re: OS .12 TR Sould I buy one

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
I ran a .12tr all last season, and will likely run it again this season. Heres the scoop:

-You will give up something on top end. The .12tr puts out about .96-.98 hp, while engines from Sirio and Mugen put out 1.25-1.35hp. And thats the un-moded ones. But with good tuning, gearing, and most important good driving, you will compete.

I regularly finished second to our local hotshoe using a moded MR-12 engine. Aside from him, there was really no one else running with a clear speed advantage over me.

-Its not the fastest out there, but it is very reliable and easy, easy, easy to tune on.

If you want to keep the easy tuning and reliability of the .12tr, but have an extra boost of speed, try going with the .12tr turbo. That is if you local track allows it.
the ostr is rated at 1.1 bhp @ 30,000 rpm and a practical rpm range of 4,000 to 36,000
Old 11-18-2003, 07:03 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Ok here's my take on the engine. It is very reliable. My last race went well, and I'll tell you why. I am sort of an amature driver compared to our other guys in Houston at Lunatics track. I can get around the track ok, just not terribly fast where I can use consistent lines. Everybody else had some sort of problem due to flameout or crash. I managed to get first place once in the qualifiers, but in the main, I was consistent but very slow compared to the other guys. I know I was lapped like at least five times in a 10 minute main. You're probably wondering what kind of car I have. Its a HPI rs4 SS.

O.S. .12tr, C-VEC pipe and other mods

The engine is fast and has torque, but you can't really compete head to head with the higher end engines.
This engine is really more suited towards off-road applications and not on-road touring. I only realized that after looking at the numbers on it and figuring out how it runs for myself.

Go for an engine that has its max HP at higher RPM's if you are looking for an on-road touring engine.
Aggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 07:13 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

I run a Novamega SX12RE EV-1 but on the nationals the 2nd place on the expert class (ifmar based rulebook) was a guy runing an associated nitro tc3 and OS TR "Non Turbo" engine ... the track have a total lenght of 285mts and its very very fast ... the a-main was 45min and this guy was flying over S3's, Novas and others ... YES he is a great pilot, but ... it gives you the bug of thinking about it ...

PAT

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 08:29 PM   #21
Super Moderator

Default pipe

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggdaddy
Ok here's my take on the engine. It is very reliable. My last race went well, and I'll tell you why. I am sort of an amature driver compared to our other guys in Houston at Lunatics track. I can get around the track ok, just not terribly fast where I can use consistent lines. Everybody else had some sort of problem due to flameout or crash. I managed to get first place once in the qualifiers, but in the main, I was consistent but very slow compared to the other guys. I know I was lapped like at least five times in a 10 minute main. You're probably wondering what kind of car I have. Its a HPI rs4 SS.

The engine is fast and has torque, but you can't really compete head to head with the higher end engines.
This engine is really more suited towards off-road applications and not on-road touring. I only realized that after looking at the numbers on it and figuring out how it runs for myself.

Go for an engine that has its max HP at higher RPM's if you are looking for an on-road touring engine.
you might want to try a tuned pipe instead of the cvec pipe , that pipe makes alot of noisebut it will hurt the powerband of that motor. Another thing is the car its not a very good competition car.You might want to try the r-40 with the same engine this car has more adjusments to make the cars handeling more competative.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:34 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Default pipe

Quote:

you might want to try a tuned pipe instead of the cvec pipe , that pipe makes alot of noisebut it will hurt the powerband of that motor. Another thing is the car its not a very good competition car.You might want to try the r-40 with the same engine this car has more adjusments to make the cars handeling more competative.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:46 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Thanks R12.

At the time of purchase I was going for a car to learn about that particular class of racing. I wasn't going for the high-end racer. R40 wasn't even out, then.

The C-Vec is ok, but there aren't many other tuned pipes I would like to use with the HPI SS and rear exahust. The only other pipe that I would consider is the THS pipe and manifold, but it is made for a side exhaust engine.

I am considering the G4 though right now and I am thinking about using the Trinity Nova Rossi Black Pixi .12 SG Rear Exhaust ROAR from Tower Hobbies.

That should be a nice upgrade right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lambo1.jpg (42.7 KB, 144 views)
Aggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 08:51 PM   #24
Super Moderator

Default nice car

Quote:
Thanks R12.

At the time of purchase I was going for a car to learn about that particular class of racing. I wasn't going for the high-end racer. R40 wasn't even out, then.

The C-Vec is ok, but there aren't many other tuned pipes I would like to use with the HPI SS and rear exahust. The only other pipe that I would consider is the THS pipe and manifold, but it is made for a side exhaust engine.

I am considering the G4 though right now and I am thinking about using the Trinity Nova Rossi Black Pixi .12 SG Rear Exhaust ROAR from Tower Hobbies.

That should be a nice upgrade right?
nice car. g4 is also an exellent car ,good luck. by the way the r-12 is also a awsome car!!!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:55 AM   #25
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: OS .12 TR Sould I buy one

Quote:
Originally posted by r12 schumacher
the ostr is rated at 1.1 bhp @ 30,000 rpm and a practical rpm range of 4,000 to 36,000
Yeah, but when RC Nitro tested it, it came out at about .98 hp. Not that I completely trust their test, but it is a good measuring point since they test several engines in the same manner.

Besides, how many engines actually put out what the manufacturer says? So if O.S. says its 1.1hp, I tend to think the test by RC Nitro's was pretty close to reality.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:22 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to loosenut

Quote:
Originally posted by Tabushi
I run a Novamega SX12RE EV-1 but on the nationals the 2nd place on the expert class (ifmar based rulebook) was a guy runing an associated nitro tc3 and OS TR "Non Turbo" engine ... the track have a total lenght of 285mts and its very very fast ... the a-main was 45min and this guy was flying over S3's, Novas and others ... YES he is a great pilot, but ... it gives you the bug of thinking about it ...

PAT
Some times people mod their engines without telling....so it might be a modded O.S. Tr(p). It ain't no way that a stock os tr(p) could be faster than a ns12
Old 11-19-2003, 08:02 PM   #27
Super Moderator

Default rc engine

Quote:
Originally posted by loosenut
Some times people mod their engines without telling....so it might be a modded O.S. Tr(p). It ain't no way that a stock os tr(p) could be faster than a ns12
Like i said before is not always horsepower that wins the race ,is the car set up and driving skills. I know from that from racing my r-12 with the os tr.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:04 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to JordanC

best investment you will ever make.... Very good motor.
JordanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 05:17 AM   #29
Super Moderator

Default os tr

Quote:
Originally posted by JordanC
best investment you will ever make.... Very good motor.
thanks
Old 11-20-2003, 09:43 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I hve 2 of these OS-TR-T....1 for practice n the other for race.....1 thing I can tell you is you'll beat everybody who are using Nova, RB or Sirio in refuelling time.....7 mins minimum...Once I even went to 8 1/2 mins...with the mid jet all the way screw in...on average the Italian engine last ard 5+ to 6mins(in S'pore)with the spare 1.5 mins you can squeeze in 1-2 laps if you are running a 7 mins heats without refuelling....and not forgetting if you're running in a main...whereby every sec's count.....45 mins main with OS pit stop is aver. 7 stops.....whereas Italian's will be ard 10 stops...refuelling time n slowing down into pits aver. 6 sec's with good mechanics.....And of course reliabilty....its a nightmare when your engine is giving you trouble in a race especially when you're in contention.... All said....it all depends on what kind of tracks you run on large high speed tracks(Italian's) or small, medium technical tracks(OS)...
vones is offline   Reply With Quote