R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   I need someones opinion. . . . . (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/27841-i-need-someones-opinion.html)

MAXXimumSPeEDx 11-17-2003 04:35 PM

I need someones opinion. . . . .

I'm thinking about getting a Nitro on-road for christmas (if vtl1180ny finds out, he's gonna be really pissed at me.. :D) I was considering getting the HPI Super Nitro Rally. What do you all think of this car? Is it pretty good? If not, give me some other suggestions but nothing too pricy..

jhigga15 11-17-2003 04:51 PM

I had a SNR...It was great!! I loved that car. I would suggest getting one. The car held up after all of my bad driving and crashing on jumps. The engine started every time and you can race it as a touring car.

vtl1180ny 11-17-2003 04:52 PM

First off... I think you should stop trying to keep up with someone 20 years older and who has a full time job...

Second... When you break something, who carries parts?

HPI makes good cars but the only thing you'll ever be able to do with it is drive it on the street, there are no race classes for the car. So for something to bash around the street it isn't a good choice...

How often do you ever see me run anything but the T-Maxx around the house, there's good reason for it... Think of the cracked wheel you were screwng with, it could be worse...

MAXXimumSPeEDx 11-17-2003 04:53 PM

Well the cracked wheel wasn't your fault. It was that womans fault. And I plan to race it in empty parking lots where nobody can run it over (god willingly)

vtl1180ny 11-17-2003 04:57 PM

But it was my fault for running it in the street...

MAXXimumSPeEDx 11-17-2003 04:58 PM

Not really.

Smoke21 11-17-2003 06:18 PM

I highly reccomed the car for bashing a super is easier to drive than a 1/10 (so I hear) because of the wider stance but if you wanna race get a Nirtro RS4 3 Type SS (boy I love this car) it is farily easy to hop up and was tested at 46.7 MPH by RCCA nice 2 speed also...great acceleration

Fisher890 11-18-2003 03:03 AM

I think if you are going to be running in a parking lot the Shaft drive cars are the best choice.If ever you want to run this car on a track in competition at all the AE NTC3 seems to be the most popular. Parts are available virtually everywhere and the car can grow with you. I do not own one but my RC10GT gave me a year of running any terrain be it Rough Dirt or a nice paved lot and I am able to get it over 40mph with a single speed.19T Bell and 65T Pinion.HPI Has good Parts support too but I thought it might be something else to concider.Most any RTR will be between $250 and $300 + $20-$100 everytime you drive it through water or Find a wall, Lightpost, Bad battery connection, Street with Traffic..... Be Prepared to Work Kid its gonna cost ya anyway you go unless its on a shelf collecting dust.

vtl1180ny 11-18-2003 09:18 AM

Be Prepared to Work Kid its gonna cost ya anyway you go unless its on a shelf collecting dust.

The one doing the work is going to be me or his father...

I keep trying to steer him in the right direction, but what do I know I'm just an overgrown child in an adults body...

He knows what I own, he see's what works and what doesn't... He also knows what spares I keep around... But we must all make our own decisions... You can't buy a car based upon the pretty body they show you on the box....

MAXXimumSPeEDx 11-18-2003 11:53 AM

Originally posted by vtl1180ny
You can't buy a car based upon the pretty body they show you on the box....

I'm not getting it just because of the body or anything or try to keep up with you. I t's because I want it and I want something different for a change.

Fisher890 11-19-2003 01:53 AM

All I can say is that if you ask 100 R/C Guys the same question. You will get atleast 10 differant replies.If you are going RTR your best choices in my honest opinion (IMHO) would be NTC3 RS3/super or Yoko GT4. For Lots definatly Stay with the Shaft Drive Cars ONLY!Pebbles Eat Belts.The NTC3 being the ugliest of the bunch.I'd look at e bay and the for sale forum here there are alot of decent used cars for sale That have alot of hop ups for what you'd pay for a brand new rtr that you are going to have to hop up after you buy it once break it twice then Buy it right and go racing.You Also Have to take sales Tax into account in the price differance.The people Flipping the bills will have to pay sales tax so a $250 New sale = a $270-275 USED sale (no Sales tax).One note on buying used stuff ... Check the Seller out look for feedback from previous buyers.Too many scumbags who prey on uninformed people.Last thing if you do get an rtr as a main Present let others who will be buying you gifts know that you are going to be building onto this car and that you want Gift certificates from the shop that you will be buying parts and accesories from.I'm Nothing more then an old Kid who knows how to Stretch a $350 B-day kit into a $1,000 B-day Racer. Better Start Mowing lawns though The work I was talking about had to do with dollars not sence.Best Advice! Get Dad into R/C! No Dollars spent are wasted when its shared between Father and Son.

tIANcI 11-19-2003 02:59 AM

Originally posted by Fisher890
All I can say is that if you ask 100 R/C Guys the same question. You will get atleast 10 differant replies.If you are going RTR your best choices in my honest opinion (IMHO) would be NTC3 RS3/super or Yoko GT4. For Lots definatly Stay with the Shaft Drive Cars ONLY!Pebbles Eat Belts.The NTC3 being the ugliest of the bunch.I'd look at e bay and the for sale forum here there are alot of decent used cars for sale That have alot of hop ups for what you'd pay for a brand new rtr that you are going to have to hop up after you buy it once break it twice then Buy it right and go racing.You Also Have to take sales Tax into account in the price differance.The people Flipping the bills will have to pay sales tax so a $250 New sale = a $270-275 USED sale (no Sales tax).One note on buying used stuff ... Check the Seller out look for feedback from previous buyers.Too many scumbags who prey on uninformed people.Last thing if you do get an rtr as a main Present let others who will be buying you gifts know that you are going to be building onto this car and that you want Gift certificates from the shop that you will be buying parts and accesories from.I'm Nothing more then an old Kid who knows how to Stretch a $350 B-day kit into a $1,000 B-day Racer. Better Start Mowing lawns though The work I was talking about had to do with dollars not sence.Best Advice! Get Dad into R/C! No Dollars spent are wasted when its shared between Father and Son.
Fisher is right no belt cars for bashing, the belts will not last. Also, NTC3 is too fragile!!! Get a CEN or MEGATECH ... they are not that fast and will last you a bit. Stay away from GS VISION RTR!!!

Fisher890 11-19-2003 03:01 AM

Originally posted by tIANcI
Fisher is right no belt cars for bashing, the belts will not last. Also, NTC3 is too fragile!!! Get a CEN or MEGATECH ... they are not that fast and will last you a bit. Stay away from GS VISION RTR!!!
How come so many NTC3's still winning races then?

tIANcI 11-19-2003 03:22 AM

Originally posted by Fisher890
How come so many NTC3's still winning races then?
What I meant was NTC3 are not good for bashing as they are fragile, its a great RC car for sure! I had one and it was well bashed, hehehehe ...

Fisher890 11-19-2003 03:41 AM

And for my Last word on this subject PARTS AVAIL. NTC3 At Least here in So Calif They are reasonabily priced and very easy to get. If I had Built an NTC3 for my racing car I could get the parts down most any street with an R/C car shop. My MTX3 I order parts on the web or Drive 40 miles to get.Cen or Vision? Only place I see them here is on the web. Gotta look at where the kid is and he is gonna need good close parts avail.HPI or AE Check both cars and what is available to you.