Wiki Posts
Search

transmitter settings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 11:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default transmitter settings?

how do you guys set up your steering speed, epa, d/r, and exponential. i know it'll be different for everyone since people have their own driving preferences. i have a mtx3, m8, and futaba 9451 and i set up my end points such that i dial out a lot of my steering to keep my tail in check in turns. however, my turning radius is so large that it makes it difficult to drive at other locations on the track. how do you guys run your steering? do you learn to drive with 100% steering travel and just drive with precise steering input? or is your travel greatly reduced (40% travel on my steering). i'd like to learn the proper way to drive. thanks.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:46 PM
Tech Master

Well, basically, what you want to do is adjust your Dual rate to full travel (whether that is 100% or 125% depends on your radio, I'm not sure about the M8). Then set the steering EPA so that you get maximum steering without making the servo try to travel further than it physically can.
This way you can just set the D/R on the fly as opposed to setting the EPA every time you want to adjust the amount of steering you have.

I'm not entirely sure as to how much experience you have, but I would say that you should be using more than just 40% of your vehicles maximum steering throw. If you have to do that to make it work, something is wrong with your driving or your setup. If you have problems with spinning out, and you use a one-way, dial out some brake EPA and make sure you aren't braking as you are turning. If you've already done this, check with other guys that have the MTX3 at your track for a setup. And possibly let them have a go with your car around the track a couple of times to make sure it isn't a driving thing or some glaring problem that you must have missed.

Good luck, and I hope I helped a little.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

I generally run with my radio with no adjustments other than the servo sub trims set.

You should really be able to drive the car by only dialling in the amount of steering you require through each corner using the wheel. Of course this is not as easy as it sounds when you are first starting out and I know I used to be a steering lock to steering lock type of driver.

However driving how I mentioned has some HUGE benefits. You will find that if you "over steer" the car will actually push since the wheels are turned too far. Also by turning the steering and not using the stops you will find you get a much more precice line through the corners and carry much more corner speed.

This is not easy however and took me quite a bit of practice. Worth it in the end.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot.