R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Hitman Racing 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Burleson Tx
Posts: 219
Default OFNA LD3?

I just ordered a couple of cars, a Losi eight rtr, and a OFNA LD3. I picked the ld3 up for 159.00, anybody have one of these?
Hitman Racing 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Racing 1 View Post
I just ordered a couple of cars, a Losi eight rtr, and a OFNA LD3. I picked the ld3 up for 159.00, anybody have one of these?
................Check-out the post of Brent Davis over on rcuniverse website. He has several Ofna onroad cars that he puts big block .21 in them . They are fast and handle quite well.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
spenzalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD
Posts: 1,424
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Racing 1 View Post
I just ordered a couple of cars, a Losi eight rtr, and a OFNA LD3. I picked the ld3 up for 159.00, anybody have one of these?
Still have one. Nice basher, can be raced in a pinch, but the car is a few years old so I wouldn't expect it to be that competitive.
__________________
This episode is brought to you by the letters M, T, X and the number 4....
spenzalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Tech Adept
 
Hitman Racing 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Burleson Tx
Posts: 219
Default

Good deal, easy to work on? I dont care to race on road, just got it to keep my other cars strictly racing. Thanks for the feedback.
Hitman Racing 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Tech Master
 
spenzalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD
Posts: 1,424
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Racing 1 View Post
Good deal, easy to work on? I dont care to race on road, just got it to keep my other cars strictly racing. Thanks for the feedback.
Nothing's really too difficult. Changing the spur gears is a little more involved, and make sure you shim up the diffs and you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Keep in mind these cars were designed when the MT12 was the hot motor, so keep an eye on how much motor you put in them. The 2 speed and the diff gears may not like it. The only other thing I can think of that I had issues with are the front knuckles. Keep a set just in case you wack something at a decent clip. Then again, if you don't hit anything, you should be fine!
__________________
This episode is brought to you by the letters M, T, X and the number 4....
spenzalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
Tech Adept
 
Hitman Racing 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Burleson Tx
Posts: 219
Default

Thanks dude, I really appreciate it.
Hitman Racing 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenzalii View Post
Nothing's really too difficult. Changing the spur gears is a little more involved, and make sure you shim up the diffs and you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Keep in mind these cars were designed when the MT12 was the hot motor, so keep an eye on how much motor you put in them. The 2 speed and the diff gears may not like it.
..................Don't underestimate the Ofna cars drivetrain they are very durable. I have a Nitro TC-3 with a big block .28 in it I kept blowing the rear diff spur gear and pinion until I transplated the steel diff and pinion gears from the LD-3 to it, no more blowned gears. The LD-3 drivetrain should be able to handle just about any motor. Here is a video of a Ofna with a extremely modified.21 in it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqFR3W1nSxU
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
Tech Master
 
spenzalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD
Posts: 1,424
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
..................Don't underestimate the Ofna cars drivetrain they are very durable. I have a Nitro TC-3 with a big block .28 in it I kept blowing the rear diff spur gear and pinion until I transplated the steel diff and pinion gears from the LD-3 to it, no more blowned gears. The LD-3 drivetrain should be able to handle just about any motor. Here is a video of a Ofna with a extremely modified.21 in it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqFR3W1nSxU
The gear diffs themselves are decent (especially compared to the NTC3 ball diffs). I've had issues with the cases themselves on occasion (the spider gears would unseat and start to wear another groove inside the case). Using the correct screws for the diff solved that (2x6mm). I spent most of the season working on the 2 speed with my Ninja. I never could get it to shift properly. It either shifted waaaaaay too soon, or didn't shift at all.
__________________
This episode is brought to you by the letters M, T, X and the number 4....
spenzalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OFNA LD3 pro stefan Nitro On-Road 1852 12-29-2007 12:03 AM
OFNA LD3 vs. NTC3 snowboardgeek1 Nitro On-Road 11 10-03-2005 10:08 PM
Ofna LD3 Pro IDrinkNitro R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 09-15-2004 07:10 AM
Ofna LD3 Pro vs Ofna CD3 Pro RTR macnkitty2002 Nitro On-Road 11 07-27-2004 11:01 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:31 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net