R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-11-2003, 07:30 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Nsr12s5

Anyone heard of it? I think it is a NS12S5 with ceramic piston? Thoughts? WOuld this be a better buy than a NS12S5?

Last edited by Leadfinger; 11-11-2003 at 07:42 AM.
Leadfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 07:54 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Your correct. As for better. No performance gain, supposedly longer piston life.

My question is, if the sleeve is still the same material and wears out just as quick as it did before, then what good is a longer lasting piston. i personally won't replace a sleeve without a new piston and i don't pinch sleeves either.

i would get whichever is available and cheaper. i have the ns5 and love it. its got a half gallon through it and i still cant turn it over by hand.
treky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 08:06 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I haven't seen one but I have an opportunity to get any of the NS models from HK cheap. You make a point if the piston is different but the sleeve is the same, then that is your weak point. Do you think the power feels like 1.6 HP on the S5. Maybe compared to a Sirio 5 port or the NS3? Maybe less rotating mass with the different piston?
Old 11-11-2003, 08:10 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

NSR12S5, yes it was different material for piston,not sure if it was ceramic.
I think you should get the "R" coz the price is no higher than 10% comparing to the NS one.
Performance wise, im not sure. But I ever do break in those two engine in bench and the NSR is sit alot faster than the NS.
And I ever tune the engine till 120 deg. C (using raytek and shoot at the lowest fin part) and the engine run very constantly for 45 min. race.

Thatsjust my personal experience.
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 08:13 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

That is your experience with the NSR12S5? Maybe the reason for the consistancy is less expansion in the materian. Thanks for the feedback. I have to put my order in today. I am getting another NS3 for a backup for ROAR and I can get a s5 or s5r for fun at the clubs. Just trying to decide.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:14 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

BTW...Nice handle.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:32 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Leadfinger
BTW...Nice handle.

i run a hobbyshop here, the NSR is not in the novarossi catalogue.
My vendor said that is was only for teamdriver, but i dont believe that, maybe just some trade tricks.

But 1 thing for sure, i did a lot of engine break in till now.
While breaking this engine in bench, using same(always) methode I never be able to bring up the temperature for higher than 60 deg.C ! At least for about 6 or 7 NSR I did.

Be carefull with low/mid adjustment. Coz this engine is equipped with brand new carb style. Especially the mid/spray bar (the yellow needle one). It is longer comparing to the old ones, and it designed to working with ventury. After fully break in and finding a decent setup, you will amaze with their extra bottom end power.

I start like a novarossi promoter here... (I hoped so.. )
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 08:50 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Wow. That sounds promising! My friend already got one. We are from Texas, but he is in HK right now and going crazy. I asked if he could go get me one and he said yes. The prices are so good I think I am going to get a NS3, NS5 and NS5r. It does sound like they do not have these publically on the market but he is getting them. Lucky us, I guess.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:17 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Nsr12s5

Quote:
Originally posted by Leadfinger
Anyone heard of it? I think it is a NS12S5 with ceramic piston? Thoughts? WOuld this be a better buy than a NS12S5?
We can concider any piston material as ceramic, because Si content for that material is about to be 27% to 32 %. So base on this you can call it ceramic.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:18 PM   #10
Suspended

The NS12 and NSR12 are the same engine in terms of performance , the only thing special about the NSR is the materials used in the piston/sleeve. All other internals are the same.

The NSR piston/sleeve is cheaper to produce than the NS piston/sleeve (which btw is exactly the same as those found in the RS12 series)

Novarossi is experimenting with materials to lessen their production costs for the piston/sleeve. They are probably going to phase out the old piston/sleeve design and use this as the new standard.

My advice would be to get whichever is cheaper at your LHS as performance is exactly the same - some people seem to think the extra R means more racing performance.
ronestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:39 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all your feedback. I ended up getting the motors. I am very excited. It will be a few days before I get them. Here is a pic.
The guys at my club races will probably not be happy with me =).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0563.jpg (159.5 KB, 182 views)
Old 11-13-2003, 08:08 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to 2mcgrath Send a message via Yahoo to 2mcgrath

i dont like the price on the sleeve and piston for it whoa..exspensive
2mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote