R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-13-2009, 12:39 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Don't try to go head to head with the fast guys until you are one... Especially the leaders when they lap you.

Don't be afraid to talk a little on the drivers stand... Politely/jokingly, let the other driver that HE has to EARN or TAKE your spot (line, position), or let them know to pull around and take the lead.

Communication really helps sometimes. Just don't tell my ex wife I said that...
Old 02-13-2009, 06:47 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

how about dont stop and leave your car two metres after the finish line especially when cars are still running, it gets expensive when you hit someone up the rear flat out
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
how about dont stop and leave your car two metres after the finish line especially when cars are still running, it gets expensive when you hit someone up the rear flat out
+1, why do people do this. Isn't it better to do a cool down lap into the pits anyway? Let your pit guy carry the car!

If your standing next to the leader and your 3 laps down. After the computer calls out positions say: " Did you hear that? The lap counter has me in the lead!!"

"What!, huh?"-crash. LOL.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtopher_aaron View Post
Something the matter?

lil-bump hit the nail on the head.. Being a newbie driver, everytime another car is approaching from behind me, i tend to get nervous and try to push harder to stay ahead, or if im catching someone, again i try to push harder and often over shoot through turns... So I'll take this as lesson learnt,

especially since the other day I was emabarassed by anEP car.. the driver was superb with his lines but I had him on the straights, my mugen blew him away on the straights.. but as soon as we got to the turns, he was all over me and I was making mistakes like nobodys business..
Dont worry .. the EP cars are as quick as the gas cars these days... they just dont sound it! ...

And it is a well known tactic to try and scare people out of your way so just try to concentrate on yourself and dont worry about others... if they are any good theyll get round you.
getpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by getpip View Post
Dont worry .. the EP cars are as quick as the gas cars these days... they just dont sound it! ...

And it is a well known tactic to try and scare people out of your way so just try to concentrate on yourself and dont worry about others... if they are any good theyll get round you.
Heh, there is a <censored> at my track that will slam into you if you don't move, instead of waiting for an opening to drive around. Kind of removes the skill in driving and adds in the "destruction derby" part to it.

The best part is when they say, "you need to learn to move out of the way for faster drivers." I figure that if a person can keep the faster people at bay and are succeeding in staying out front, that is the skill in racing. But I guess that is wrong? Or is there another rule involved specifically for R/C racing where you cannot keep people at bay and just move out of the way.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
I figure that if a person can keep the faster people at bay and are succeeding in staying out front, that is the skill in racing. But I guess that is wrong? Or is there another rule involved specifically for R/C racing where you cannot keep people at bay and just move out of the way.
This is certainly true in the finals (unless you are being lapped) but remember that in qualyfying you are only racing the clock and you can end up actually costing yourself time.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #37
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
Heh, there is a <censored> at my track that will slam into you if you don't move, instead of waiting for an opening to drive around. Kind of removes the skill in driving and adds in the "destruction derby" part to it.
Not sporting but I bet you move out of his way now dont you?...
Old 02-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by getpip View Post
This is certainly true in the finals (unless you are being lapped) but remember that in qualyfying you are only racing the clock and you can end up actually costing yourself time.
+1
I'll move over during qualifiers. You racing against a clock not the other driver
If I'm not on a TQ pace then I will take a corner a little wider hear and there. But during the main The guy behind me has to find a way to get around me hopefully CLEAN!!!!

Pass you soon...
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
+1
I'll move over during qualifiers. You racing against a clock not the other driver
If I'm not on a TQ pace then I will take a corner a little wider hear and there. But during the main The guy behind me has to find a way to get around me hopefully CLEAN!!!!

Pass you soon...
Question about racing in the A main if the person try to get around you but you do not let him because it is a race and he hit your car by forcing his way in is that legal???
HulkNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkNT1 View Post
Question about racing in the A main if the person try to get around you but you do not let him because it is a race and he hit your car by forcing his way in is that legal???
If I cause a crash trying to pass. I always let him go by me even If I myself did not crash. And then it's back to racing. In the worlds competition you have to perform a stop and go in the pits if you don't pass a person clean. Ask Toso!!!!

Pass you soon...
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Interesting...

I'd figured the mains would be similar to real circuit racing. Just figured I would check with people in this thread. I am still getting back into the hobby after a 5 year hiatus. Suffice to say, I can still drive on a track and rarely break something.

And no, I was not thrashing people all over the place.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #42
Tech Elite

I use to race in Novice electric/Nitro. It's basicly a run what you brung class. In a race where you try to avoid the 1/18 cars and outrun the 1/10 nitro monster trucks. Once that buzzer gose off, rules don't apply.

Last edited by Foxxrocket; 02-13-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Foxxrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:25 AM   #43
Tech Regular

about the crash thing in the final is all about respect.... i myself if i hit someone in a battle(rarely i am moslty chased), and has recovered as soon as i did i let him pass me back, its all about respect and honest true driving. as for the thing get out of my way or else i crash you shows first of all NO respect to the fellow driver and also poor driving skills, if you are not able to respect and pass him a little bit wider beacause he is a new guy and doesnt know properly how to drive then you shouldnt be racing.....
Old 02-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro-Racer* View Post
about the crash thing in the final is all about respect.... i myself if i hit someone in a battle(rarely i am moslty chased), and has recovered as soon as i did i let him pass me back, its all about respect and honest true driving. as for the thing get out of my way or else i crash you shows first of all NO respect to the fellow driver and also poor driving skills, if you are not able to respect and pass him a little bit wider beacause he is a new guy and doesnt know properly how to drive then you shouldnt be racing.....
Perhaps I should get a video of this in action and let you guys be the judge.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:26 AM   #45
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry™ View Post
  1. Hit the head Before you hit the stand
  2. If your car dies, Announce it on the stand, gently..
  3. Don't yell at the marshall's.....you're the one who wrecked, not them
  4. Don't start yelling at the other drivers on the stand if they tap you
  5. respect other peoples lines
  6. Thank everyone when the race is over, and don't gloat if you win.
  7. Wear a headband in hot weather, nothing worse than sweat dripping in you eyes
  8. Let the leader by!!!!!!!
and the most important thing?...

Consistency wins the ballgame!!!!

All very true, except with 6) sometimes when you say thank you some people think you are gloating Doesn't happen very often but i've seen it a few times. usually the few who are pissed with being lapped a few times.

Yes, I guess it can depend on how you thank people around you, but for some loosing doesn't come easy.

Also another tip is only go WOT when you feel confident with the car and the section of track you are on. Sometimes it's too easy to let your mind go to WOT and you and or the car just isn't ready for it.

Bent hinge pins, cracked arms or uprights, sticking bearings, bent driveshafts or toe rods can all make a car handle piss poor if you don't keep an eye on them...

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote