R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Beginner 1/8th scale onroad engine/pipes (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/274468-beginner-1-8th-scale-onroad-engine-pipes.html)

Zerodefect 02-10-2009 06:07 AM

Beginner 1/8th scale onroad engine/pipes

I'm new in Ohio and while I was looking for RC tracks I've found that 1/8th onroad is real popular where I'm at. (Lake county) I might do 1/12th instead.

I've raced 1/8th offroad well so I'm not a newbie but I've never ran an Onroad engine before. Any suggestions on decent engines. Not top of the line stuff, I won't be able to use that kind of speed for a while. No way I'm going to have $500+ for an engine after buying an Evolva M3 and servos.

I like Rb and Novarossi offroad motors, they were easy to tune and durable. Anything available in the $350 dollar range? I have no Idea on pipes.

Can I just run an offoad engine like a S5 or a Novarossi +4? Are the cranks different? (clutch nut or shaft length.)

Totally new to onroad, sorry. Thanks in advance for the help. I'd like to get the best car/pipe/servos I can. But maybe use an offroad motor that can be a spare for my offroad car. Similar motors to cut cost. Might be a waste to use a big money motor at this point.

quietstorm76 02-10-2009 06:58 AM

Take a look at this engine

http://www.kamikazercracing.com/prod...php?prod=51219

wmay11 02-10-2009 07:05 AM

My advice is to meet some of the local racers, they always have really good motors to sell at a reasonable price. You can pick up a top race motor (used) that will serve you really well. I have about 7 motors and picked them up for really good prices. Also see what most the people are running, helps with clutch and gear selection even tuning.

musti72 02-10-2009 07:16 AM

any murnan will do the job...
you can win races with them no matter how you drive...

just kidding:blush:

sry...

triple post...

new3 02-10-2009 03:34 PM

GET A PICCO P9 EVO3 EASY TO BREAK IN READY TO RACE WITH IN 8 TO 10 TANKS OUT OF THE BOX JUST A GOOD MOTOR OUT OF THE BOX. NO STRANG THINGS TO DEAL WITH.

Zerodefect 02-10-2009 04:51 PM

Cool I'll check out the Picco to.

What do you run for practice? Do you still run your race motors for practice?
Sounds like alot of people only get 7 gallons on a $400 motor!

My offroad stuff would go 12+ easy if i didn't crack the block or something in a crash. (RB WS7III).

wizby 02-10-2009 05:10 PM

Where in ohio? You have two of the premeire onroad tracks in your state. Toledo and Cincinnati. And cleveland has a parking lot club in Mentor. I have to agree the picco P9 is the best bang on a budget.

HoboShop 02-10-2009 05:29 PM

sorry to say but you might want to think about running 1/10 scale because any decent .21 onroad motor is gonna cost you more than $400.00 which will get you a good .12 motor!!!!!!!!!

Serpent-Dan 02-10-2009 05:33 PM

Don't worry the Picco is a very good engine for the price u won't be mad with it. All Hobo pushes are JP Eagles in every thread.

HoboShop 02-10-2009 06:15 PM

I didnt say anything about jp engines i was just talking about the price of the .21 motors and yes i like jp and murnan modifieds that is what i like you do not need that to win a race i am just a speed freak but in the end the best driver will always win you guys all ways have something smart to say and try to make me look like the bad guy when i respond to your comments. so serpent dan it is your money so you buy what you want to buy and i buy what i like i dont care what you or anybody else runs or doesnt want to buy.

So what i like jp motors so shoot me its my money.

but to the other guy you dont have to buy those motors picco and idm and os motors are just fine just invest in a tire truer and a set station these tools will make you faster then any motor ever could:)

Zerodefect 02-10-2009 06:15 PM

Any recommendations for the pipe for the Picco. $330 for a race motor isn't bad at all. (And where do you get your 1/8th onroad stuff, Its been hit or miss every site I check?)

Although thats getting close to the RB xenon. I saw a combo Rb Xenon Speedline with pipe/header on amain for less than $500. I have no idea if it was the right pipe or not but am assuming its the RB pipe recommended for that engine.

I'm in Mentor for a little while, but haven't settled yet. Funny there is so much racing in Ohio. Only good offroad stuff I've heard about is in Columbus though. I'm hopeing onroad will help my offroad game. Its a long drive to CRCRC.

So its RB Xenon combo vs Picco and unknown pipe. All the decent Novarossi stuff I've googled so far seems pricey. And can't find a pipe rec! NR needs to work on thier websites. Whatever little bit of power the highend engines have I'm not going to be able to take advantage of until the engines half dead anyway.

HoboShop 02-10-2009 06:19 PM

The rb is a little faster than the picco but the picco is the better buy it has more bottom end and it will last alot longer the rb .21 has a problem with blowing con rods so i would go with the picco combo good pick and good luck to you this season.:)

Serpent-Dan 02-10-2009 07:35 PM

You can get the picco 2033 pipe and header at kamikazercracing.com pg2 in the pipe section. And hobo wasn't tryn to bash you I know we buy what we want but if he's just getting started in 8th on road you know a jp is expensive and a bit over powered for just starting. But I do agree on truer and set up tools. And a bunch of bodies