R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-24-2004, 09:04 PM   #13036
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Helios

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyramid
I spent 3 hours last night installing Helios on my S710. Results, I put my 3pk back on as it by very far more convinience and safer
Why do you say more convenient and safer?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:10 PM   #13037
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Helios

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldFinger
It is safer to turn on your Tx first, then your Rx.
I don't agree with what KO says. Switching on the Tx first on a big race day in uncontrolled or even controlled practise is just asking for trouble. That's why I like Futaba. I could switch on the Rx first and if the servos were moving by itself when I have still not switched on my Tx, then I would know that somebody in on the same frequency as me ! No harm done to anybody. If you switch on your Tx first before the Rx, then I'm pretty sure you'll get into trouble. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Is anybody ever see the Mr.Burch and Mr.Cyrul car?
Is there any "switch" in it ?
Old 06-24-2004, 10:07 PM   #13038
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Helios

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I don't agree with what KO says. Switching on the Tx first on a big race day in uncontrolled or even controlled practise is just asking for trouble. That's why I like Futaba. I could switch on the Rx first and if the servos were moving by itself when I have still not switched on my Tx, then I would know that somebody in on the same frequency as me ! No harm done to anybody. If you switch on your Tx first before the Rx, then I'm pretty sure you'll get into trouble. Just my opinion.
That is exactly the reply i wrote already but i dont dare to send it.
Im afraid he will offended.
I guess KO fans have to live with it.
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:09 PM   #13039
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Helios

Quote:
That is exactly the reply i wrote already but i dont dare to send it.
Im afraid he will offended.
As they say, the truth hurts !

Quote:
I guess KO fans have to live with it.
It's sad because I really like KO servos and having held the Helios, it actually felt better than the Futaba.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:48 PM   #13040
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
I also like to do this - a nice free-of-charge way of finding out if your car would be subjected to a nasty surprise!
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:56 PM   #13041
Tech Elite

Talking Hi Sow, where are you

Guys, there is a new version of the FAQ coming - Glenn Cauley has worked hard in making the old FAQ into a real profesional document Looks great!!!

The only minor setback is that the doc is now over 500k, can't actually be directly posted here now.

Sow, could you donate a bit of space on 3hobby for the FAQ? Then I can make a new link in my Sig, so everyone can have access to the doc.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:46 AM   #13042
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Helios

Quote:
Why do you say more convenient and safer?
R113ip Rx sure is much bigger in size, but with Helios RX + 2xFSA-1, it is hell bigger.. IF you only install 1 FSA which requires the use of S9550 low profile servo to accomodate in beneath the servo, you are only save for throttle. On the steering, is still a good change to brake something around it or the servo itself since it will be badly glitch when the failsafe is on (TX turn off). If you put 2XFSA-1, you would also need another S9550 low profile servo for steering and mount the failsafe on the bottom side of the servo. Next, you will then searching new place for your Pers AMB Tx.

When everything is turn on and in standby, if you cross your Helios antenna over to its RX antenna, it will also give you glitch. Using S9950 in my 3 hours experimence, when standby, Helios Rx does not sent linier/stabel power supply to my thorttle servo. Since the servo being resist with throttle springs, it would always be making that resistance noise in standby. The noise is not flat.. it somehow waves.

None of the above happened with Futaba Tx and Rx. And the failsafe programed trough the remote digitaly. I guess Futaba is still Futaba and KO is still KO... you know D, the 3rd one is always out of my choice...

PS: I do not have problem hooking up the battery first then Switch the Helios Tx on when experimenting with Helios Tx/Rx
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:51 AM   #13043
Tech Master

Quote:
I could switch on the Rx first and if the servos were moving by itself when I have still not switched on my Tx, then I would know that somebody in on the same frequency as me !
Does it mean you do not have the failsafe mode/PCM on? Because I believe it wont glitch, it will stay at where you programmed them. Or is it not?
Old 06-25-2004, 12:53 AM   #13044
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Go to 3Hobby.Com and read the article on the front page "710 Rebuild: One more mod ... "
Cool. Nice article. But I don't know if Uncle Mark Green got to it faster than you did ! I only saw his just now.

http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=10313

For me, I'll go with Uncle Mark's method of getting the CF plate. From another shock rear tower instead of painstakingly cutting up one ! And yes, not to mention the aerodynamics part of it !

I still have the "old" thinner rear shock tower in one piece. Somewhere in the tool box. With a little modification, it'll be very simple to do the mod.

For the front bumper, I have the 705 Lola bumper still somewhere. I think I'll try Pyramid / Goldfingers' method of using the V1RR Front Lola bumper plate / body post mount on the 710 front.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:05 AM   #13045
Tech Elite

Quote:

I still have the "old" thinner rear shock tower in one piece. Somewhere in the tool box. With a little modification, it'll be very simple to do the mod.
You can have mine - still can't break the thing and I've been trying hard!!! Is there a prize for how long you can drive the 710 without breaking a single thing - I'm upto about 3.5 months Probably because I poodle around the circuit like a 70 year-old pensioner on a sunday afternoon
Old 06-25-2004, 01:05 AM   #13046
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Helios

Quote:
Does it mean you do not have the failsafe mode/PCM on? Because I believe it wont glitch, it will stay at where you programmed them. Or is it not?
This is with failsafe on on the 3PK.

Somehow the 3PK works like this. After resting the Rx/Tx for about a minute or more, I could plug the Rx to the batteries and it will not even move. Once I switch on the Tx, the servos are controlled normally. If I then switch off the Tx first before the Rx, the servos will be in fail safe mode.

If others are on the same frequency, the servos will glitch and behave weird when I just plug the batteries to the Rx without switching on the Tx. That's when I know somebody is using the same frequency as I am.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:08 AM   #13047
Tech Master

Quote:
Cool. Nice article. But I don't know if Uncle Mark Green got to it faster than you did ! I only saw his just now.

http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=10313
Those double tower reminds me at Electric car design by Tech or Kawada with double deck shock tower. Anyway, what does it do again Uncle Sow? I saw you did the same with your own design.

How about having stiffener rod in the middle to help strenghten and straighten the chassis.

D... you could also do little mod for V1RR lower bumper to be mount on S710. Anyhow, when you buy the kyosho upper plate, you also get the lower bumper.. so why bother buying another one.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:15 AM   #13048
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Probably because I poodle around the circuit like a 70 year-old pensioner on a sunday afternoon
Stop spending time with the lawnmowers ! Get yourself to MACH Heemstede and start racing.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:16 AM   #13049
Tech Prophet

Quote:
On the steering, is still a good change to brake something around it or the servo itself since it will be badly glitch when the failsafe is on (TX turn off).
I don't switch on the failsafe on the steering. I let it be. Personal preferance of course. I believe I prefer this way because when the car glides and stops slowly, I could still steer the car left and right.

Besides, if a glitch happens, the steering servo is more unlikely to go beyond the EPA. Most of the time, most radios are set to be somewhere at the neutral point of servo and most likely the steering servo will move left and right within the normal operating points.

Quote:
Next, you will then searching new place for your Pers AMB Tx.
How do you find mounting your PT below the throttle servo? Better than in the front upper bumper?

Quote:
When everything is turn on and in standby, if you cross your Helios antenna over to its RX antenna, it will also give you glitch. Using S9950 in my 3 hours experimence, when standby, Helios Rx does not sent linier/stabel power supply to my thorttle servo. Since the servo being resist with throttle springs, it would always be making that resistance noise in standby. The noise is not flat.. it somehow waves.
Thanks for the feedback. Good to know this. Perhaps the radio is smart enough to detect and require you to use full KO gear including servos as well?

Quote:
PS: I do not have problem hooking up the battery first then Switch the Helios Tx on when experimenting with Helios Tx/Rx
I think it'll only be a "problem" if you use the newer ICS type 2343 and 2344 KO servos. In fact, I believe this problem will also occur if you use 3PK with the newer KO servos. If you switch on the receiver first, then your servos will be rendered motionless even after switching on the Tx.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:19 AM   #13050
Tech Elite

Quote:
Stop spending time with the lawnmowers ! Get yourself to MACH Heemstede and start racing.
I was tempted to go this weekend, but with my torn/strained ligaments in my foot, I can't even stand for more than half an hour Probably I should get one of those lawnmowers where you can sit on them
This is the last weekend where I don't have a bike race/marathon until the end of August (although 24th July is not a certain date).
But even if it means I end up going in October - I'm determined to go to MACH this year.