R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-17-2004, 01:50 AM   #12646
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
http://www.serpent-usa.com/serpent/sernew_1.html
Thanks D. Of course, all of them listed as N/A!
Old 06-17-2004, 02:10 AM   #12647
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Short track setups

Quote:
Originally posted by Proficar403
1. The downstops are not set at 3mm...they are set for 3mm of up travel, meaning that at whatever tire diameter I have, I reset the droop to make the chassis rise 3mm before the tires leave the ground. 3mm is plenty, so the front wheels do not lift.
Oh, my bad. I get what you mean. 3 mm up travel on the chassis is indeed a lot of droop.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 02:45 AM   #12648
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Picard
Did you find a big difference when changing to 1.2?
Oophs, sorry. Forgot to reply to this too.

I changed to the 1.2 mm holes when I used the front diff. Using 50wt I would a litttle lacking in traction. 40 wt was nice. Now I'm using oneway. Don't know how to describe the feeling. The car seems to feel more controlable without overdoing it. It gives traction while not making the car lazy. I found I could use higher shore tires now. I don't know if it's making sense but I thought using higher roll centers would make the car more difficult to drive on a medium traction track but instead I could drive with higher shore tires.

Quote:
My Shock pos is 3, on the rear, made the car feel fantastic steering wise, I was suffering for a little steering. Made a big difference in the fast corners
Shock position 3 as on the shock tower?

I'm using front 3rd hole on the shock tower and rear 3rd hole on the shock tower too. I'll try to slowly stand the shocks without changing to red springs to see how it goes.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:56 AM   #12649
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Oophs, sorry. Forgot to reply to this too.

I changed to the 1.2 mm holes when I used the front diff. Using 50wt I would a litttle lacking in traction. 40 wt was nice. Now I'm using oneway. Don't know how to describe the feeling. The car seems to feel more controlable without overdoing it. It gives traction while not making the car lazy. I found I could use higher shore tires now. I don't know if it's making sense but I thought using higher roll centers would make the car more difficult to drive on a medium traction track but instead I could drive with higher shore tires.

What did you use to open the holes up?

Shock position 3 as on the shock tower?

I'm using front 3rd hole on the shock tower and rear 3rd hole on the shock tower too. I'll try to slowly stand the shocks without changing to red springs to see how it goes.
Yes Position 3 on the rear tower (Yellow springs)

Position 2 on the front tower(White Springs)

I also wanted to keep the same springs and have played with the
tower positions and as you mentioned the rear diff.

I have just raised the roll center as I want a faster reaction, to what yourself and julius have tried. Will be racing on the weekend.
Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 03:00 AM   #12650
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I have just raised the roll center as I want a faster reaction, to what yourself and julius have tried. Will be racing on the weekend.
Be careful... It can make the car too twitchy and responsive for your liking. For me, I had to stiffen the front end to get good turn in. If not, it'll be too twitchy for me. Perhaps that's why I could drive with higher shore. Just thought I should mention since you're going to race with that setup ! Good luck.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:02 AM   #12651
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Be careful... It can make the car too twitchy and responsive for your liking. For me, I had to stiffen the front end to get good turn in. If not, it'll be too twitchy for me. Just thought I should mention since you're going to race with that setup ! Good luck.
Thanks D

I like the car on the edge so I am happy to hear that
Old 06-17-2004, 03:07 AM   #12652
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Be careful... It can make the car too twitchy and responsive for your liking. For me, I had to stiffen the front end to get good turn in. If not, it'll be too twitchy for me. Perhaps that's why I could drive with higher shore. Just thought I should mention since you're going to race with that setup ! Good luck.
What tyres were you running, I am running Sato 37's?
Old 06-17-2004, 03:12 AM   #12653
Tech Prophet

Quote:
What tyres were you running, I am running Sato 37's?
I'm running Speedmind dish wheels. They have the same rubber compound as Sato. In fact I think Sato is made by Speedmind.

Where do you get them from? How much per set of tire?
Old 06-17-2004, 03:21 AM   #12654
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I'm running Speedmind dish wheels. They have the same rubber compound as Sato. In fact I think Sato is made by Speedmind.

Where do you get them from? How much per set of tire?
I have used the Speedmind Tyres and I felt they had better grip but mor wear than the sato's. I am waiting for my order of speedminds to come in but they wont be here by the weekend

I get them from rc model, I think they were $8:50 US a set.

Were do you get yours?
Old 06-17-2004, 03:22 AM   #12655
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I like the car on the edge so I am happy to hear that
Changing to that higher rear roll center makes the rear end swing easy. It makes the car have a lot more steering and responsive.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:27 AM   #12656
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I have used the Speedmind Tyres and I felt they had better grip but mor wear than the sato's. I am waiting for my order of speedminds to come in but they wont be here by the weekend
I'm told by somebody who uses Sato and Speedminds regularly that the shore ratings on the Sato are one step higher than the Speedminds. Perhaps that somehow explains your observations.

Quote:
I get them from rc model, I think they were $8:50 US a set.

Were do you get yours?
I get them from our LHS. Most guys use Speedminds here because of the the durable rim and reasonable amount of traction and not to mention it chunks much much less. Price is about the same you get them from RC Model which is pretty reasonable. We don't pay for shipping though.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:34 AM   #12657
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I'm told by somebody who uses Sato and Speedminds regularly that the shore ratings on the Sato are one step higher than the Speedminds. Perhaps that somehow explains your observations.

I get them from our LHS. Most guys use Speedminds here because of the the durable rim and reasonable amount of traction and not to mention it chunks much much less. Price is about the same you get them from RC Model which is pretty reasonable. We don't pay for shipping though.
I would have to aggree, but I can't get any softer than 37's from rcmodel

Yes I did like the speedminds alot, I found that the sato's are not all that much weaker than the speedminds, but the grip was fantastic. I also tried the GQ's and the rim was very durable on that tyre also
Old 06-17-2004, 03:44 AM   #12658
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I would have to aggree, but I can't get any softer than 37's from rcmodel
That's because Sato tires don't come lower than 37 shore if I'm not mistaken. I believe they are 37, 40 and 43 shore available only.

The Speedminds front tires go down to 35 shore and up to 45 shore and the rears go down to 32 shore and up to 45 shore if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
Yes I did like the speedminds alot, I found that the sato's are not all that much weaker than the speedminds, but the grip was fantastic.
Agreed. The Sato rims are also a little bit lighter.

Quote:
I also tried the GQ's and the rim was very durable on that tyre also
For me, they provide good grip but they wear faster and chunk easier too. That's what I found.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:07 AM   #12659
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
That's because Sato tires don't come lower than 37 shore if I'm not mistaken. I believe they are 37, 40 and 43 shore available only.

The Speedminds front tires go down to 35 shore and up to 45 shore and the rears go down to 32 shore and up to 45 shore if I'm not mistaken.

Agreed. The Sato rims are also a little bit lighter.

For me, they provide good grip but they wear faster and chunk easier too. That's what I found.
I was not aware they don't make 35's in Sato's, that is a shame

I did not have any GQ's chunck but I onlyt ran them for 1 race meeting. I do like the speedminds the best for handling and grip but they do wear quickly in my experience. Suppose you can't have everything
Old 06-17-2004, 04:10 AM   #12660
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I do like the speedminds the best for handling and grip but they do wear quickly in my experience. Suppose you can't have everything
What shore do you use with the Speedminds? 37? Why not try 40?

If you find the Speedminds wear fast at 37 shore, then you'll see the GRP ones wear faster.